Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Roco's Northlander (ex-Suisse & ex-Dutch diesel TEE)

Date: 05/28/23 23:08
Roco's Northlander (ex-Suisse & ex-Dutch diesel TEE)
Author: brv200

Hi all,

a few days ago I received Roco's latest run of the relatively short lived "Northlander" train. 4 train sets (1 Suisse and 3 Dutch) were purchased by the Ontario Northland RR for regional services in den mid of the 70's. The project was obviously not very successful since the power cars did not withstand the harsh Canadian winters.

Nonetheless the HO model of train #1981 runs smoothly and it is nicely detailed. I took a few pics on my engine house diorama I'd like to share.

Photographers Ben & Tim are lucky to get some rare "stuff" in front of their lenses. Thanks for looking

Have a relaxed Sunday

Franz

Date: 05/29/23 07:21
Re: Roco's Northlander (ex-Suisse & ex-Dutch diesel TEE)
Author: ChrisCampi

Very interesting unit. I was not aware of it. The loco looks huge, would be nice to see the complete unit.

Date: 05/29/23 08:59
Author: boejoe

Nice line-up Franz.  Danke.
joe

Date: 05/29/23 09:19
Author: callen77

Cool! I certainly have seen photos of these trainsets but never the real thing. Well done.

Date: 05/29/23 12:21
Author: randyr

Great pics, thank you. I picked this set up a few months ago after seeing a review on the video channel that shall not be named. I saw a similar set years ago in Emmerich, West Germany, where the Dutch and German rail lines exchanged trains, engines and crews, I pretend it is being tested by a local commuter agency. Thanks again for the pics.

Randy in PHX

Date: 05/29/23 12:57
Author: RRBMail

When the power unit failed, the train ran with one FP-unit in Northlander livery. I believe the old power unit still exists, owned by a club in North Bay. Please correct me if things has since changed. 

Date: 05/29/23 13:19
Author: TCnR

Great photos, the display scene works out really well. Apparently an extensive collection of model locomotives.
t4p.

The Northlander TEE trains gets a rousing response every time photos are posted on one of the Boards, the archives have quite a few photos and info. The North Bay display has a cab/coach and a coach, in need of some restoration and windows. There was a summary on the web and I thought it was linked on TO but I can't find it. Basically, one or more  locomotives were purchased and transported back to Europe for display or restoration. One of the posts says the Netherlands and has a photo pasing by at a station.

Date: 05/29/23 21:01
Author: TheCurator

Search 'Northlander' on the Canadian board...lots of photos and discussion.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,2623732,2623732#msg-2623732

Date: 05/31/23 04:29
Author: dh1205

I have one, it runs very well.  The only problem I have are the NEM wheels with the giant flanges.  I need to look for replacement options down the road.  It doesn't fit what I model at all, but it's so cool I keep it anyway. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds