Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Model Railroading > Yard Office with a History

Date: 05/31/23 22:39
Yard Office with a History
Author: railstiesballast

I found a very nice plastic HO troop sleeper at an estate sale, and have known the history of the fleet of these box car conversions that were operated by the Pullman Co. during WW II.  However it was simply not compatible with my layout.
I also have seen photos of these cars converted for MofW use and offices, so here it is, painted a gray/silver, with some windows painted over, and set on a simple balsa wood foundation painted concrete gray.  I set it at the throat of my little staging track: in hopes viewers won't judge the track quality and background too harshly.

Date: 05/31/23 22:59
Re: Yard Office with a History
Author: ApproachCircuit

You should be very proud of that car. It looks wonderfu. A jewell in my book.
They were very common all over the USA years ago.
Take good care of it.

Date: 05/31/23 23:35
Author: tracktime

That looks perfect for the part.  Well done!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 06/01/23 04:04
Author: SPDRGWfan

Very nice looking yard office!

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 06/01/23 05:31
Author: engineerinvirginia

Yep perfect...you would be surprised what the railroads would do to avoid building a real building! 

Date: 06/01/23 06:02
Author: wabash2800

That looks fine to me, including your trackwork. As you probably know, railroads could put about any kind of car on the ground for an office or storage:  boxcars, passenger cars, cabooses, and I have also seen a gas electric on the ground as a yard office. And, of course, many  were re-purposed by customers, farmers, home owners, restaurants, you name it.

Victor Baird

Date: 06/01/23 08:01
Author: icancmp193

Good job!

TJY

Date: 06/01/23 09:55
Author: boejoe

Lools like the old Roller Bearing Models troop sleeper resin body.  Had one until Walthers introduced theirs.
jb

Date: 06/01/23 11:02
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks for the kind words.  I want to add a couple of figures for the crews or office staff.

Date: 06/01/23 11:45
Author: MojaveBill

They were designed to be used for other purposes after the war...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds