Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Model Railroading > Is a HO model of this passenger truck made?

Date: 06/01/23 05:13
Is a HO model of this passenger truck made?
Author: needles_sub

Not a very good picture, but is a model of this truck made by anyone? Used under Budd built 1955 SAL  5-1-4-4 sleeper.  Last used under RBBX 41403. It has a unique look and I was hoping to add these to my RBBX 41403 model.

Date: 06/01/23 06:13
Re: Is a HO model of this passenger truck made?
Author: tracklight

https://www.walthers.com/gsc-41-n-11-passenger-trucks-w-clasp-brake-silver-1-pair

These look very similar, but you'd need to make modifications to trim off the clasp brake mechanisms.

Date: 06/01/23 09:40
Author: CPR_4000

tracklight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.walthers.com/gsc-41-n-11-passenger-tru
> cks-w-clasp-brake-silver-1-pair
>
> These look very similar, but you'd need to make
> modifications to trim off the clasp brake
> mechanisms.

And remove the brake cylinders. (Hopefully they're add-on parts.)

Date: 06/01/23 14:50
Author: Topfuel

Walthers makes a model of the B&O 16-4 sleepers that also had that truck.  The circus had 2 of those cars. But on the Walthers model the trucks are not correct.  They are closer than the ones the other poster listed, but they are still not right.  But maybe you could start with one of those trucks since they would need less modification.  Or maybe you could 3-D print some new truck side frames?  

Date: 06/01/23 15:16
Author: TomG

It's interesting how many passenger trucks Walthers used to offer, yet if you go to Walthers site there are very few left.

Date: 06/01/23 16:37
Author: TomG

Take a close look at the Budd trucks on the California Zephyr and see if they look close enough for you. Here is a really bad photo of the BLI CZ car. It looks the same to me. If it looks close enough to you I can make you a hell of a deal. In the unfortunate fire I had 2 years ago took out my CZ set along with an enormous amount of rolling stock. I saved 6 or 7 of the CZ cars that only suffered one end melted. I can scrounge a pair of trucks for you for the amazing cost of nothing but shipping. Real shipping cost, not the Oh boy Im going to get rich ebay shipping. ( My sons foot not included. )

Im going to go out on a limb here, but Rapido's Budd Slumbercoach is due out before long and should have a superior truck that should be the same. I'd drop Rapido a line and see when they might have trucks available.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/23 23:39 by TomG.

Date: 06/11/23 20:27
Author: Notch16

Those trucks are also found under every 1950-built Pullman Sleeper on the SP, as well as every car of the Budd "Sunset Limited" except the Baggage-Postal. They were cast by General Steel Castings (see the shield, cast into the frame in the photo) and could be equipped with a railroad's choice of journal bearings and anti-skid brake gear.

They're inside swing hanger disc brake trucks with four spring groups per side and a forged 'depressed equalizer' (I-beam cross section). At first glance they seem like other trucks, but are unlike any other truck when you start looking closely at the frame's profile above the journal line. The upper frame and transom (end bars) are very different from Pullman 41-N-style trucks seen on CZ and many other cars of the era.

SP classified them as 4-TD-1.

If we're lucky (very lucky) -- Walthers will do them for the upcoming SP blunt-end 10-6 for the "City of San Francisco" and offer them separately.

The only other option for accuracy is The Coach Yard. Earlier Samhongsa brass trucks are far better than late Sam-Tech, which have exaggerated detail and model the trucks in unloaded state -- the journals are at the very bottoms of the pedestals. (Sam-Tech obviously modeled from Pullman photos of uninstalled and unloaded trucks. Tsk-tsk, and it would be nice to see this rectified.)

~ BZ

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/23 12:12 by Notch16.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds