Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Model Railroading > Pacific Traction... it's not what you think

Date: 09/14/23 18:26
Pacific Traction... it's not what you think
Author: Smallplanet

HO-----There was in days past a hand made wooden freight car maunfacturer named Pacific Traction. You Google the name, and as you might imagine, everything you don't want answers the search. I am interested in finding the history of this line of cars. Their eaten away labels read San Diego, (or Alpine, a suberb of San Diego). The craftmanship is beautiful in every detail detail. You could almost call their condition as Perfect. They are certainly the most well built, beautifully hand crafted work I have ever seen in HO. I bought 5 years and years back on eBay. 15 or 20 years ago Brasstrain.com marketed a batch from a collector's estate, pricing them at $100. Somebody knew of them because they sold out the first day they were listed, as I remember, about 15 of them. But I have not seen any of them since then. I have not encountered a single soul that knows of there origins, let alone knows they even existed. I am most curious if they were made in the USA, or elswhere? Can you help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/23 18:31 by Smallplanet.

Date: 09/14/23 19:02
Re: Pacific Traction... it's not what you think
Author: funnelfan

Those cars do look really nice, but that first one could use some help with the decals. I would lay it on it's side and soak in micosol for about 15 minutes then use a toothpick to gently nudge the decal film into the seams.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/15/23 07:04
Author: tomstp

I have a couple of them I bought in the 1960's  from Tolson's hobby in Ft Worth.  The cars are almost bullet proof.

Date: 09/15/23 12:12
Author: original

Pacific Traction has been around since 1970 as I recall. - they were handmade ( using jigs) - box cars - stock cars - reefers - cabooses.
there were standard gauge and narrow gauge.

I could not find a "Product File" on them.

We sold hundreds of them when they were in business

all were offered with no trucks
Original  Fred

Date: 09/15/23 15:57

Tomstp, I appreciate your comment about them being "Bullet Proof". They are super sturdy, an besides having no added weight, handeling them you get the sense, although made of wood, you don't have to handle them delicaticately.

Date: 09/15/23 16:04

Ah, Fred from the original Whistle Stop (guessing). We they US made?

Date: 09/15/23 16:14
Author: Reeds

In addition to the info that Fred supplied about Pacific Traction I can add that the company was owned by a gentleman named Dr. Peterson ( first name unknown )
The gentleman that built the cars ( using jigs mass production style ) was Frank Papadowski, so the cars were hand built in San Diego, Ca.
Dr. Peterson lived in Alpine Ca. he also imported  Brass San Diego Electric Railway Class 5 Streetcars in both HO and O Scale.
The freight cars came to an end when Frank passed away from complications from surgery.
Info is from what I can recall as told to me by the late Bill Kingston owner of The Whistle Stop in San Diego and Ken Jones a long time customer and 
collector, he owns many of the Freight cars and Streetcars.

Scott
Former owner of The Whistle Stop in San Diego
Now Sales Manager at Reeds Hobby Shop in La Mesa Ca.

Date: 09/16/23 16:21
Author: original

Yes, built by one man - I was told he was  "chair-bound" and built them 100 at a time

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds