Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Model Railroading > Latest Tampa Northern happenings


Date: 09/22/23 21:12
Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: SALGUY

Work continues on the Tampa Northern.  I'm in the process of painting the backdrop blue.  The upper and lower levels are done.  I need to finish up the middle level.   This really lightens up the room.  

Also, over the past 2 weeks, I've put down 96 linear feet of plywood.  My original intention was to use the 1x4s, that I attached to the shelf brackets, to support risers for a modified open grid concept.  Well, the friend who designed the layout said it would be best to lay plywood down, all round the layout, and deal with elevation changes with foam, risers, Woodland Scenics grade system, cut outs, etc.  So, I guess we'll try that and see how that works out. 

Here is a short video of where things stand tonight. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!




Date: 09/23/23 02:02
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: WP921

The sky blue background will improve the viewing experience.  As you say, it makes for overall better lighting.



Date: 09/23/23 07:55
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: BlaineM

Interesting to see the progress.  I hope you are a young man with all of that work to do?  I'm 90 and I am here to tell you hurry because things happen fast.
Blaine
American Fork



Date: 09/23/23 09:55
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: SALGUY

WP921 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sky blue background will improve the viewing
> experience.  As you say, it makes for overall
> better lighting.

I'm truly amazed at the difference it makes.  I knew it would make a difference, just not the amount that it has.  

Thanks for following the progress of the Tampa Northern.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/879490203259220/?ref=share_group_link



Date: 09/23/23 10:02
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: SALGUY

BlaineM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting to see the progress.  I hope you are
> a young man with all of that work to do?  I'm 90
> and I am here to tell you hurry because things
> happen fast.
> Blaine
> American Fork

I'm not young, that's for sure.  Its awesome, that at 90 years old, you're still involved in the hobby.  I'll be 63 in a couple of months.  Building this monster is helping me, at least I think so.  It sure keeps me moving up and down the steps, hauling stuff to and from the basement.  This is my retirement  project.  I hope to retire when I'm 67.  By that time, the majority of the heavy construction of the Tampa Northern should be behind me.  

Please follow the Tampa Northern. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/879490203259220/?ref=share_group_link



 



Date: 09/23/23 10:05
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: wabash2800

Looks good. Maybe you can add some photo backdrop scenery later onto the blue sky, perhaps not entire photo backdrops but photos of distant buildings and tree lines. It's just my opinion, but 99% of the painted backdrop scenery I've seen is horrible. But each to their own.

Victor Baird

Posted from Android



Date: 09/23/23 10:51
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: up833

This is an amazing project for a person of any age. Not sure where you live and the temperature but is the overhead insulated or going to be and the ceiling enclosed? 
RB



Date: 09/23/23 17:44
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: SALGUY

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks good. Maybe you can add some photo backdrop
> scenery later onto the blue sky, perhaps not
> entire photo backdrops but photos of distant
> buildings and tree lines. It's just my opinion,
> but 99% of the painted backdrop scenery I've seen
> is horrible. But each to their own.
>
> Victor Baird
>
> Posted from Android

Thank You. 

Photo backdrops are definitely in the plan.  So are photo false front buildings.  

 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/23 03:00 by SALGUY.



Date: 09/23/23 17:46
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: SALGUY

up833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is an amazing project for a person of any
> age. Not sure where you live and the temperature
> but is the overhead insulated or going to be and
> the ceiling enclosed? 
> RB

I live in Marysville, Ohio.  The whole house has been insulated with foam.  The basement maintains a very comfortable temperapture.  If it does get too cold, there is heat available down there, as well as AC, if it should get too warm. 

Thanks

DB



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/23 02:59 by SALGUY.



Date: 09/23/23 21:09
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: bnsfmodeler

Very cool as always thanks for posting

David



Date: 09/23/23 23:47
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: inyosub

Wow that helix is impressive as hell. 
I think you chose the same blue I used or damn close. Now do some splot clouds.  
Clouds are a joy to paint. And if you screw up, just get the roller our and paint the blue back over.
But don't put off puting on at least some, And haze the skyline with some white.
And for Pete's sake retire now.!  cheers.



Date: 09/24/23 00:30
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: 55002

I've followed the development of the helix,and it's a wow! Great layout room, and love the updates. Here in the UK, we are getting repeats on TV of Bob Ross. He makes it look so easy, could paint a background in now time! Chris uk.



Date: 09/24/23 15:33
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: SALGUY

inyosub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow that helix is impressive as hell. 
> I think you chose the same blue I used or damn
> close. Now do some splot clouds.  
> Clouds are a joy to paint. And if you screw up,
> just get the roller our and paint the blue back
> over.
> But don't put off puting on at least some, And
> haze the skyline with some white.
> And for Pete's sake retire now.!  cheers.

Clouds are in the offing.  IM actually thinking about a sunrise and a sunset section as well.  

Thanks for the kind woresponse on the helix.  Its not done, yet.  It stI'll needs 3 more turns to get to the top level of the layout. 

About retiring, I plan on working until I'm 67.  That's just 4 years and 2 months away.  It wont be long.  



Date: 09/24/23 15:36
Re: Latest Tampa Northern happenings
Author: SALGUY

55002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've followed the development of the helix,and
> it's a wow! Great layout room, and love the
> updates. Here in the UK, we are getting repeats on
> TV of Bob Ross. He makes it look so easy, could
> paint a background in now time! Chris uk.

Good deal, I'm glad you enjoy the up dates.  I agree, rhe helix is awesome, and it's not yet finished.  I used to watch Bob Ross all the time.  It would be awesome, if he were still with us, to have him paint the backdrop for the layout. 



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0714 seconds