Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Model Railroading > Model Rio Grande double-stack test train?

Date: 02/20/24 17:25
Model Rio Grande double-stack test train?
Author: RRBMail

I would like to model the Rio Grande's double-stack clearance test train in HO. I believe it had two cabooses and five platforms with Evergreen 20' and 40' standard height containers. Has any TOs seen a photo of this train or has further information? Thanks in advance!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/24 08:11 by RRBMail.

Date: 02/21/24 14:54
Re: Model Rio Grande double-stack test train?
Author: WAF

It was a twin stack car from 1985. Don't remember the containers. Had two DRGW cabooses on each end pulled by a pair of GP40-2

Date: 02/21/24 15:40
Author: dan

pics maybe on here , i could not find them

Date: 02/21/24 16:45
Author: RRBMail

Do you mean the test train had a total of 2 cabooses or a total of 4 cabooses? Do you know how many container cars i.e. # of platforms were in the consist? Thanks!

Date: 02/21/24 17:27
Author: SPDRGWfan

Here you go:

https://www.rr-fallenflags.org/drgw/drgw3144cbp.jpg

https://www.rr-fallenflags.org/drgw/drgw3144bbp.jpg

Cheers,
Jim

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/24 18:37 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 02/21/24 20:15
Author: atsf121

Took me a bit to find the old post, I had remembered seeing it back when it was posted and thought it was pretty cool.  As a kid, I still remember double-stacks being a new thing, and the dad of one of my friend's worked for the SP and told me about some of the stuff going on with the new container cars - sure wish I had taken notes!  RBBMail had a post with pages from the NMRA Bulletin in 1987 talking about the DRGW test train with some photos (though the test appears to have been in 1985 from reading the article again).  SPDRGWFan's photos appear to be a different train than the one in the NMRA article, but appear to be the same time period.  The well cars in the NRMA article are a 'Twin-Stack' set that were used before the IBCs (Inter-Box Connectors) were determined strong enough to hold the top containers in place.  The well cars in SPDRGWFan's photos are a Maxi-Stack set (can anyone tell for sure which version?) that doesn't have the bulkheads to hold the top container in place, all container cars follow that design now.  So it looks like DRGW tested two different types of well cars with the international (8' tall) containers.  I wonder what the overall differences were between the two cars for things like height of the top of the stacked containers above the rail.  Great stuff, crazy to think that was ~35 years ago.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4912247

Nathan

Date: 02/21/24 22:04
Author: dan

never saw the moffat test train, thought we were talking about the tenn pass line, two different trains

Date: 02/22/24 04:00
Author: SPDRGWfan

I've only ever been aware of the test train in the photo's I posted the link to.

While my main insterest is in the1977-end of caboose era, I did purchase enough double stack sets to run an early D&RGW stack train including 3 Intermoutain/A-lineGunderson Twin Stacks, a couple of Athearn Maxi stacks and a couple of the Walthers Gunderson 5 car TT sets.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 02/22/24 12:45
Author: WAF

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> never saw the moffat test train, thought we were
> talking about the tenn pass line, two different
> trains

Never heard of a Moffat tyest train, stacks were single level on 187

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds