Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Model Railroading > Looking for a slow setting epoxy adhesive

Date: 02/21/24 14:17
Looking for a slow setting epoxy adhesive
Author: Frank30

For the past 10+ years I've been assembling models of unique railcars. The parts consist of laser cut and machined acryllic and styrene, resin castings,
stainless etchings, things like Detail West castings, etc.  I've been using Super Glue brand 30 minute Delayed setting epoxy with acceptable results.
I have the pieces held in jigs while applying the glue until they are set.  The adhesive cannot be water thin as it needs to be gap-filling in some situations,
and has to be clear as transmission of LED light is needed. I ordered a few tubes from Grainger last week and was told that the "30-minute delay" variety
had been discontinued but they would send a substitute.  The substitute arrived today, it was 5 minute quick setting variety, quite the substitute!
I have to work quickly  with the 30 minute stuff!

I've spent the last few hours scanning the Grainger catalog and I can't seem to find a substitute.  Either it's dark color, or doesn't work with my variety of
substances or cures before you can join the pieces together.  Now I know some of you are saying to yourself, "I build my cars like that every day."   
If you are that person, care to tell me what you use as an adhesive and where can it be purchased?    Thanks in advance for any help.
Frank30

Date: 02/22/24 06:56
Re: Looking for a slow setting epoxy adhesive
Author: CM1

Try one of the box stores. They usually have a variety of epoxy glues. Not sure about clear. If that is the case, try canopy glue. It has an one hour dry time and does dry clear.

Date: 02/22/24 09:08

Thanks CM1:

I just returned from Home Depot where I had purchased the slow setting epoxy years back.
One has to order a carton  of 12, guess what, the item is still on their screen and 12 cost
not much more than the 3 incorrect tubes  from Grainger.   I hope they are the right item when I go to pick them
up in a week.

I hear about canopy glue so often.  Is it a gap filling, handle many plastics, etc. I have just looked in my Walthers'
catalog and I see it together with another slow setting item. There IS hope if  what shows up next week is not
the right item.

Thanks for your reply.
Frank30

Date: 02/22/24 11:18
Author: wingomann

I had a containter of canopy glue go bad.  I only used it once and after sitting for a yearr it got moldy.
I bought a new one.  Hope it lasts longer.

Date: 02/22/24 11:59
Author: exhaustED

wingomann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a containter of canopy glue go bad.  I only
> used it once and after sitting for a yearr it got
> moldy.

I don't think you can be too surprised by that...

Date: 02/24/24 05:13
Author: Kirwin

Try McMaster Carr.  They have a Loctite E-30CL 30 minute epoxy that is listed as optically clear, and as a thick liquid.  They also have a 60 minute version if you want a longer set time.  It is not cheap from them but it is avaliable.  https://www.mcmaster.com/6430a23/

Michael

Date: 02/24/24 06:30
Author: Lighter

Do an Amazon search on "30-minute epoxy." Bob Smith and Pacer will be at the top of a very long list. Both are common hobby shop brands. When you store the bottles keep them a couple feet apart. Grainger has lots of stuff that hobbyists can use, but Grainger does not directly stock hobby materials.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/24 06:39 by Lighter.

Date: 02/24/24 10:07

Kirwin and Lighter:

Thanks for your input.  The fact that Home Depot is willing to order a box 0f 12 Super Glue 30 minute cure for $42
highlights the fact that Grainger does'nt want to be bothered with a hobby-size sale, also the E30Cl, much like
some of the other adhesives they had does not have plungers at the end of the tube, you have to buy a
$100 contraption that has the plungers hidden and will conveniently internally mix up probably a tube at a time.  I'm mixing a pea-size
amount at a time, even though they suggest a larger amount is the minimum. It's unfortunate that you have to fool around
with these  people. Grainger initially wanted me to return the 3 tubes of 5 minute epoxy, they quickly realized that the
cost for them to have it shipped back would exceed the value of the 3 tubes and then they emailed me to tell me to just
throw it away!

So I am now installing vertical handrails on the two sides of the door leading from the vestibule to the passenger
compartment on the cars I am building.  When the correct epoxy arrives  on the 29th, I will be able to lock them
in place.  This goes to show you that when you're told something is discontinued, don't believe them!  Their companies'
definition of "discontinued" oftentimes is much different than yours!

Frank 30

Date: 02/25/24 17:39
Author: wabash2800

I used something to glue two pieces of slippery engineering plastic together some years ago. IIRC, the word in the name was "Zip". I also recall it worked well, but I had to hold the two pieces (clamp them) well for about ten minutes or it wouldn't work. But after it set, it worked well.

Victor Baird

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/24 17:52 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds