Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Model Railroading > Need Some Opinions

Date: 02/23/24 01:28
Need Some Opinions
Author: funnelfan

I'm going to add some lumber loads to several centerbeams including the new Rapido cars I have coming to me. I'm debating about making the loads removable. I can use magnets on the Walthers loads so the two halves are drawn together. But my real hang up is the load doesn't look realistic without the tie down cables and corner protectors. In the past I've modeled those with black or gray quilting thread and bits of paper. But that won't work with a removable load. Kinda thinking I might be able to use piano wire, but not quite sure if that will work. Anyone model a removable centerbeam load with the tie down cables?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/23/24 04:30
Re: Need Some Opinions
Author: pilotblue

I'm thinking add the tie-downs just as you normally would but glue them to the loads and cut them off a micro-fraction above the pockets. Yes, go with thin piano wire. Xuron makes a pair of shears for cutting hard wire. Good luck, post pictures!

Date: 02/23/24 05:01
Author: RSD5

No.  All of the loads i've made are permanent.  I use black thread as cableing and secure it with a drop of super glue underneath. 

Dave

Date: 02/23/24 08:09
Author: tracktime

Instead of extremely rigid piano wire, I've found that the Phosphor Bronze wire from Tichy in various diameters can work well, as PB wire is much easier to bend than piano wire, and is relatively strong too.   Brass wire will work as well, but Tichy makes small diameter wire such as .008 that should work for your needs.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 02/23/24 08:55
Author: icancmp193

pilotblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm thinking add the tie-downs just as you
> normally would but glue them to the loads and cut
> them off a micro-fraction above the pockets. Yes,
> go with thin piano wire. Xuron makes a pair of
> shears for cutting hard wire. Good luck, post
> pictures!

I've been known to do this, usually with black thread, but the idea (below) of using the phosphor bronze wire is also good!

TJY

Date: 02/23/24 09:52
Author: PHall

I've done the more expensive route a couple of times of buying two cars with the same number. One gets the load with the tie down cables with the corner protectors and the other is empty with the cables secured in the empty configuration.

Date: 02/23/24 17:18
Author: JayK

I second PHall's suggestion. I have two rather inexpensive Accurail centerbeams, one is loaded the other empty. I awap them out on the layout at the end of each op session as needed. Might be an expensive proposition with a Rapido model.

I use EZ Line for the tie-downs.

Jim Kleeman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/24 17:19 by JayK.

Date: 02/23/24 17:50
Author: PHall

JayK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I second PHall's suggestion. I have two rather
> inexpensive Accurail centerbeams, one is loaded
> the other empty. I awap them out on the layout at
> the end of each op session as needed. Might be an
> expensive proposition with a Rapido model.
>
> I use EZ Line for the tie-downs.
>
> Jim Kleeman

The only tricky part is weathering both cars the same!

Date: 02/29/24 13:40
Author: inyosub

JayK 
I don't think Accurail ever made Centerbeams
Exactrail did, but those cars look like the old McKean kits.
Kudos to you assembling a couple. I've built them, they are a pain. One got splated on the wall in frustration.
twas a BN.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds