Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Model Railroading > Laser Cut Numbers?

Date: 03/13/24 19:08
Laser Cut Numbers?
Author: wabash2800

Is there anyone out there that can burn some numbers about 9/64 in. (3.5 mm) to 5/32 in. (4 mm) height and about .030 in. to .040 in. thickness? I want them for some large scale interlocking tower levers, since the numbers were cast into the real number plates and raised.

I have the plates and can attach the laser cut numbers to the plates. (The levers are about 1/12 scale.) I suppose wood would be OK, but I would prefer a nonporous material.

Victor Baird

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/24 19:57 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/14/24 04:18
Re: Laser Cut Numbers?
Author: FollowTheFlag

There are a number of CNC or laser cutting services out there.

One example:  https://sendcutsend.com/

Date: 03/14/24 10:46
Author: PHall

3D printing would work too.

Date: 03/14/24 12:01

Folks, I just need 20 numbers 1-20, a certain size and thickness. I'm looking for a hobbyist that has a laser cutter, but I am willing to pay a reasonable amount.

A friend and I have been through the quoting process for the brass lever frame for my interlocking. We ended up going through a Scottish firm that is doing the laser cut, brass lever frame parts for about $1000 in US dollars. No one in the states came close as they were all in the thousands. I understand. I was a controller for a machine shop for 16 years. We didn't want the small one time business as couldn't make any money on it. This is something very simple.

If I were to go with 3D printing, I would have the entire number plate done (plate, numbers mounting brackets, bolt detail, etc.) . That would require a drawing, dxf file, and would be overkill. The numbers could also be photo etched but no one does small etching jobs in the U.S. anymore.

There was someone here that cut me some small bell cranks for free some years ago, but it was done through private email, and I had to clear my full in-box and lost the contact info.

Victor Baird

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/24 12:37 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/15/24 05:34
Author: nathan314

Do you have a local maker space around that has one?  We have several such organizations where you basically pay a monthly fee for access to tools and space for projects.  Typically have classes as well.

Nathan Beauheim
Loveland, CO

Date: 03/15/24 10:17

Thanks for suggesting that. Since I have been rertired I've been thinking about that. I will look into it.

Victor Baird

nathan314 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you have a local maker space around that has
> one?  We have several such organizations where
> you basically pay a monthly fee for access to
> tools and space for projects.  Typically have
> classes as well.
>
> Nathan Beauheim
> Loveland, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds