Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Model Railroading > we have a problem

Date: 03/15/24 00:56
we have a problem
Author: RogersPass

Hello all,
I have an Overland Chassis with the gear boxes that are made or cast metal that over time have come weak and broken.
Question is would any one know where I can get any parts to do a repair or does any one have any SD60s  chassis or bogies at all so I can
put this body on weather Brass or plastic please?? In the photo the red rings are what it should be like but these are also cracked  too.
Many thanks in advance and I look forward to any replies.
Cheers Brian in New Zealand..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/24 01:59 by RogersPass.

Date: 03/15/24 01:56
Re: we have a problem
Author: funnelfan

That's not good. I would be tempted to cast the good gearboxes in resin to replace the bad gearboxes.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/15/24 03:52
Author: UPkid

I would reach out to Jeff Lemke Trains, Inc.  He can be found on Facebook, and he has a website as well.
www.JEFFLEMKETRAINS.com

I hope this helps.

UPkid

Date: 03/15/24 05:14
Author: SOU3921

PM sent.
Cooper

Date: 03/15/24 05:59
Author: sp8234

This link might help but have you thought about adapting Athearn trucks to the frame or build your own frame? Not that hard to do with angled brass rails or I beam channel. 

https://americanscalemodels.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=HO%20Trucks%2C%20Diesel%20Power%2C%20SD%20type 

Tim 
Hanesworth

Date: 03/15/24 08:16
Author: Streamliner

It's just amazing to me that so many of these so called "high quality," Asian imports have issues like this.  And the real problem, is that the issues are like a ticking time bomb, as in most cases, they don't present themselves for many years.  There are huge quantities of "brand new," older HO & other scale locos sitting unused in the hands of MR enthusiasts, some of which will fall apart in their hands when removed from the box or sometime after they are put into service.  Meanwhile, the trains made by Uncle Irv, so many years ago, in Compton, California, still power along as if they were produced yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/24 08:17 by Streamliner.

Date: 03/15/24 08:58
Author: wingomann

Streamliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's just amazing to me that so many of these so
> called "high quality," Asian imports have issues
> like this.  And the real problem, is that the
> issues are like a ticking time bomb, as in most
> cases, they don't present themselves for many
> years.  There are huge quantities of "brand new,"
> older HO & other scale locos sitting unused in the
> hands of MR enthusiasts, some of which will fall
> apart in their hands when removed from the box or
> sometime after they are put into service.
>  Meanwhile, the trains made by Uncle Irv, so many
> years ago, in Compton, California, still power
> along as if they were produced yesterday.

So true.  I pulled out my Athearn SD-45 that I hadn't run in 40 years and it ran with no problem.  It was only a short test run and if I was going to run it more I would take it apart and lube it.  But I put it on the track and it ran.  Unfortunately I can't say the same for my brass steam loco's.  Lots of TLC to make them run.  It made me laugh.  Just like the real thing - steam takes lots of maintenance to get it operational and to maintain it, diesels minimal maintenance and they run.

Date: 03/15/24 09:06
Author: needles_sub

Zinc pest. Happens to many models, both brass and plastic. I see brass bashing still goes on. Sad.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/15/24 09:08
Author: needles_sub

Zinc pest. Happens to models, both brass and plastic. Sad to see brass bashing still continues.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/24 18:31 by needles_sub.

Date: 03/15/24 09:19
Author: ATSFSuperCap

My solution to these brass issues is to replace the factory trucks with plastic diesel trucks of appropriate style.   Generally staying away from Athearn Blue Box or RTR line trucks as they are much more difficult to scratch build mounts for in the old brass frame.   Then repowering the thing with a modern flat can motor and flywheels, that way your old brass diesel will run perfectly with modern plastic diesels.    A couple of examples are;  Bowser C636 trucks into ALCO Models C636 chassis and WALthers flat can motor, or buying for cheap Atlas U33C's for the trucks and the motors and mounting them in for instance a Hallmark GE U30CG.    Both locos now run vastly better than they did new and are happy running with most other diesels.

Rich.

Date: 03/15/24 17:20
Author: RogersPass

Photos for Jan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2568 seconds