Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > Do I keep all those empty boxes? (Input requested)

Date: 03/18/24 11:46
Do I keep all those empty boxes? (Input requested)
Author: JUTower

Hi all,
I've amassed a small collection of HO "stuff"... and while I don't usually keep the boxes that the freight cars come in, I have kept the factory packaging for my model locomotives.  Over the years, that takes up quite a bit of space (especially newer locomotives have much larger packaging) & I'm thinking of trashing them.
As I use the A-Line cardboard trays to store my collection, and I don't think I need the factory packaging unless I'm planning to sell an item off.

Arguments for or against?
Thanks all!
-Alex

Date: 03/18/24 11:50
Re: Do I keep all those empty boxes? (Input requested)
Author: SPDRGWfan

So far I have kept my boxes and plan to do so.  When I need to sell any rolling stock, having the box is a plus.  I've got the space for however, for now.

Date: 03/18/24 11:53
Author: ChrisCampi

No argument. I keep the boxes because I have the room. Just depends on what works for you and if you plan on selling them one day. If you plan on keeping the models until the end, you might be doing someone a favor who task it is to clean up after you.

Date: 03/18/24 11:53
Author: boejoe

The boxes were convenient for storage and when placed for sale.  I found many buyers prefer the original box.  
jb

Date: 03/18/24 12:07
Author: tmotor

Occasionally empty boxes appear on eBay, and sell for a lot more than I thought they would.  There are folks that have tossed their original boxes, but now find they need to store, ship, or sell their engine(s).

That said, if the space is available, keep them.  If not, sell them (or give them away).  :-D

Dave

Date: 03/18/24 14:13
Author: mcdeo

I didn't used to keep the boxes, but now I do. As mentioned, mainly for potential reselling in the future. And at some level, if I don't do it, the estate sale could use them. 

I don't have much room either to store them, but I do. Defiantly harder to manage than the equipment on the layout, but save them for future use, that I know, if I don't use them, someone will need them eventually. Plus I'm planning a move in the near future, so that alone will help. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 03/18/24 15:13
Author: Trainatic

I'll take the other side of the coin. I buy all my train cars to run on the layout. I throw all the boxes away as they take up too much room
I do save all my locomotive boxes. When I take some cars to a train show to sell, the folks don't really pay anymore if there is a box or not. I have new ones in boxes to sell that I bought and at the last show, they still offer you half of whatever price you have on them.
Joe

Date: 03/18/24 15:18
Author: dan

thats what attics are for!

this discussion maybe even relates to cameras and many other things

Date: 03/18/24 15:32
Author: gandydancer4

KEEP THEM. The boxes have been designed for the model that was placed in them. It secures them for shipment and just normal wear and tear around the layout. Keeps the dust and crap off of them when they are not in use. I don't buy too many models without the original box, especially brass. Having the original box DEFINITELY adds to the resale vaule plus there's probably a sales sticker on it to remind you what you paid for it in the 1st place. As far as I'm concerned, no original box, NO SALE. 

Date: 03/18/24 15:47
Author: CNW

My empty locomotive and freight car boxes are stored in these Home Depot moving boxes.  Some day, my family will want them for the estate sale.

Dennis

Date: 03/18/24 16:06
Author: RNP47

If you ever sell them, having the box will add to their resale value, IMHO

Date: 03/18/24 17:35
Author: bigmc83

I typically keep boxes and life events have reinforced that practice

I keep all my boxes currently but am faced with modifying cars to the point that they won’t fit back in them. So I’m up in the air on that

My freight car collection is growing but I still have reasonable storage space for the boxes. I also buy and sell enough that having the boxes is very useful. I have had to move several times so having the boxes helped with damage control

When my father died, I had to deal with selling his trains. Having boxes was very helpful in that effort both for shipping but also identifying unique items such as brass models. Fortunately I knew a lot about his collection and the backgrounds of the models, but not always the case in families. In the end I had it auctioned and the auctioneer had their own packing and bins but still preferred original boxes if I had them. It helps for shipping to get top dollar out of an item

Good luck
Sean

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/18/24 18:18
Author: CSX2605

I keep my locomotive boxes. All other boxes to a Viking funeral(fire). My flatcars have permanent loads so the boxes are of no value and the rolling stock goes on the layout. What I do is find decent sized boxes and I get foam rolls from Hobby Lobby and make my own storage boxes for the rolling stock. Lay foam in the bottom and cut strips to seperate cars, lay foam on top of them and rinse & repeat. I have my John Deere combine train in a big box that I have travelled with to a train show. Did the same for my 4 Classonemodelworks flatcars with loads if I want to travel to another layout.
Two of our sons have an interest in trains and eventually they will get my stuff so I'm not worried about resale value. It's Dad's stuff so it's priceless. LOL!

Date: 03/18/24 19:34
Author: upkpfan

Keep the boxes. I did and sold my stuff that way. upkpfan

Date: 03/18/24 20:00
Author: NineHourLimit

One of several reasons I got out of G Scale.   Box maintenance and storage was a nightmare.

Date: 03/18/24 22:25
Author: gnguy

I keep all my boxes.  They are in totes in the attic arranged by the last digit of the car number which makes it easy to find a box in case I need to sell some cars or locos.  I am 77 and left instructions in my estate plan on how to put everything back in it's box and call Train Z.  simple for my wife to dispose of the collection without hassle.

Mike Stewart
Oakley, CA

Date: 03/19/24 02:06
Author: tunnelmotor

I regret giving away boxes in the early days. I stopped doing that when I realised that they add value when you come to sell - and you will over time. I did keep my locos and freight cars in copy paper boxes cut down but now they are all in their individual boxes wherever possible.
Mike Arnold

Date: 03/19/24 10:23
Author: chakk

I remember a swap meet that I attended with bandob MANY years ago when he was selling some Lionel O scale rolling stock in their original boxes.  The boxes were in like-new condition, and at least potential buyer made an offer for ONLY the boxes -- he had no need for their contents.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0736 seconds