Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Model Railroading > Overland HO Brass - Drive Shafts

Date: 03/19/24 19:10
Overland HO Brass - Drive Shafts
Author: jburek

I have an HO Scale Overland High Hood C420.  Recently stopped running despite motor still operating.  The culprit - The plastic press fit plastic male caps on the ends of the metal drive shafts have come loose/stripped.  Tried securing them with some locktite - did not work!  What are my I options here?  I doubt contacting Overland for replacements will prove fruitful.  Northwest Short Line?  What can I do?

Date: 03/19/24 19:23
Re: Overland HO Brass - Drive Shafts
Author: exrtc

I had the same problem, partly, I suspect, because my house goes to outside temperature (-30C) when I am away.  I roughed up the drive shaft with fine grit sandpaper and the used gap filling CA glue to re-attach.  So far so good. (and it has been a couple of years now)

Chris Rye

Date: 03/19/24 20:19
Author: KA7008

Same solution here.
Use a wire cutter and "chomp" on the ends of the drive shaft to give it a "knurled" look.
Use barge cement or similar contact cement like walther's goo, etc to resecure the universal plastic end pieces.

Date: 03/19/24 20:20
Author: ATSFSuperCap

I like what Chris says,  rough up the shaft and use gap filling glue.   The torque load on the shaft is extremely small so this could work.   Otherwise try A line universal drive shaft kits, or as you say NWSL, they are still around.   Another way is to watch Ebay and buy the drive shaft kits that Hobbytown of Boston made, they are square brass and nylon couplings that will not wear out or fail, if they are the correct shaft diameter for the motor and worm shaft.

Date: 03/19/24 20:50
Author: needles_sub

I had brass "horned balls" custom made years ago. I solder them to the drive shafts. Brass Trains in Ocala, used to sell them I believe.
I made extra's hoping to sell them but never got any takers. Wound up selling a bunch on Ebay after a few years.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/19/24 21:33
Author: BoilingMan

Did you use RED Loctite? BLUE definitely won’t hold, but RED might.
SR

Date: 03/20/24 08:12
Author: bigmc83

It's a common failure on OMI diesels....you can try loctiting them back on the shaft, or knurling the shaft with a file and then pressing/glueing the ball on.  Also mentioned, and I used, are these replacements from Brasstrains.com  They are cast brass, so they hold up pretty well.  I needed a vice to press them on to the driftshaft.  Expensive, but a robust fix.

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/151255/HO-Scale-Part-Brass-Ball-Joint-for-use-on-OMI-Overland-drive-shaft-assembly-Set-of-4

Good luck,
Sean McCaffery

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/24 08:13 by bigmc83.

Date: 03/20/24 08:22
Author: BAB

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an HO Scale Overland High Hood C420. 
> Recently stopped running despite motor still
> operating.  The culprit - The plastic press fit
> plastic male caps on the ends of the metal drive
> shafts have come loose/stripped.  Tried securing
> them with some locktite - did not work!  What are
> my I options here?  I doubt contacting Overland
> for replacements will prove fruitful.  Northwest
> Short Line?  What can I do?

Dont know what type of loctite one would use on stripped or worn out threads or knurling. JB Weld would be the best to use have done that many times over the years working on items. 

Date: 03/20/24 08:41
Author: original

Yes, use NWSL - A-Line of Hobbytown replacement drives - available at  any good Hobby Store - like one in Pasdadena, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds