center. What is that?
Thank you

Date: 03/26/24 09:41
Re: Marklin HO track
Author: SPDRGWfan

JunkTrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just came across some Marklin HO track with a
> third rail in the center. What is that?
> Thank you

AFAIK, it is AC and operate electrically like Lionel, but in HO scale.

Date: 03/26/24 17:10
Author: JunkTrain

Is Marklin AFAIF the same as Marklin M track?

Date: 03/26/24 20:11
Author: railstiesballast

AFAIK = As Far As I Know, not a product designation.

Date: 03/26/24 21:18
Author: Streamliner

The vast majority of Marklin HO has traditionally been 3-rail, operating on AC current.  The M track has a metal roadbed.  Early M track had a solid center rail, while the later version had a studded center rail.  

Date: 03/27/24 06:46
Author: SPDRGWfan

I've never cared for anything 3 railed, whether Lionel O27 or Marklin HO.  But I do understand models like Lionel and other O27 brands have had their own following as well as Marklin.  When I was a kid, my first electric trains were Lionel, and I've saved the metal Hudson steam engine as a sentimental relic of my childhood, but when I saw HO for the first time at around 7 years old, I immediately noticed it looks more realistic with two rails like real trains.  So around age 8 I sold off my Lionel (or my parents did) and I went out and bought an HO train set with a flashy red and silver Santa Fe F7.  Sadly, it wouldn't run so back it went and it was a couple more years before I bought my first Tyco train set with a lilttle switcher that didn't work great with only 4 wheels.  I later switched to N and in the mid-late 80's back to HO.  

Anyway, I assume the Marklin track with the studs rather than a 3rd center rail, was designed to be compatible with the AC 3 rail design, but look a bit more like 2 rail track, and increase realism.  

Cheers,
Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds