Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Model Railroading > Overland HO GP40X part

Date: 03/26/24 10:05
Overland HO GP40X part
Author: cabman

My 1981-era HO Overland Brass GP40X has caught. that dreaded zinc rot/pest  problem which has ruined one of its Ajin truck gearboxes.  I am looking to buy a replacement and hope that someone on TO can suggest a good source for one.  (I have already contacted Brian Marsh at Overland who said he had none.)   I would be grateful for any help provided.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/24 10:09 by cabman.

Date: 03/26/24 11:17
Re: Overland HO GP40X part
Author: DocJohn

Have you given any thought to replacing current trucks with NWSL powered trucks?  Some years back, I had a shop in Montana convert an Athearn RS-3 to NWSL powered trucks and add Soundtraxx decoder and speaker. It has worked out well, and the only thing I had to do when I got the locomotive back was add weights in the spot where the motor was.

John

Date: 03/26/24 11:50
Author: needles_sub

Is it a tank drive or tower drive model?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/26/24 14:11
Author: cabman

tower drive

Date: 03/26/24 16:09

Send a PM. I may be able to help.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/26/24 17:47

What are the differences between a tank-drive and a tower-drive locomotive?

John

Date: 03/26/24 21:04
Author: sp8234

This link should help but you might think about adapting Athearn trucks to the frame.

https://americanscalemodels.com/HO/HO_Detail_Parts/Diesel_Parts/Gearboxes-Drive_Parts-Wheels 

Tim Hanesworth
Santa Rosa, CA

Date: 03/26/24 21:38

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are the differences between a tank-drive and
> a tower-drive locomotive?
>
> John

The first photo is a tank drive model. The notor sits in the fuel tank, and the drive shaft is horizontal with the gear boxes below the frame.. You can see the blue universal joints and oversized gear boxes. This type of gear boxes was prone to the Zinc pest.

The second photo is a tower drive. The motor sits in the frame, and the drive shafts sit above the frame and connected to the vertical gear towers with U joints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/24 21:40 by needles_sub.

Date: 03/27/24 08:12

Thank you very much for the explanation and the link to the American Scale Models website.

John

Date: 03/27/24 23:26
Author: RogersPass

Hi Jan,
I see you have a great heart and helping another person.
Top Person  you are and many thanks,
Cheers Brian ..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds