Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Model Railroading > N Scale Sound: Kato vs. Scale Trains

Date: 03/27/24 06:54
N Scale Sound: Kato vs. Scale Trains
Author: DutchDragon

I am looking to add some DCC and sound locomotives to my roster and am torn between the Kato ES44AC with ESU/LokSound installed and the Scale Trains Rivet Counter N Scale ET44 with sound and DCC. I have DCC locomotives from each company but none with sound. Can anyone provide details on which would be better?

Date: 03/27/24 07:45
Re: N Scale Sound: Kato vs. Scale Trains
Author: pilotblue

Go Kato and never look back. I've had three ScaleTrains locomotives. I bought one of their turbine sets, decoder went bad in the tender. They were very efficient about doing the repair. Can't fault them on effort. Had one of their diesels, it ran about 10 ft. and quit, again decoder issue.

I have never had a Kato unit fail in any way, drive train, decoder, sound, couplers, never any issues

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/24 08:31 by pilotblue.

Date: 03/27/24 08:47
Author: dan7366

I've got 50 Kato units, and none of them have come brand new looking like they were in a wreck.  I've purchased one from ScaleTrains and can't say the same.
Dan

Date: 03/27/24 09:19
Author: BNSF-E9

Short answer,
ScaleTrains! 

Date: 03/27/24 10:50
Author: SPDRGWfan

pilotblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go Kato and never look back. I've had three
> ScaleTrains locomotives. I bought one of their
> turbine sets, decoder went bad in the tender. They
> were very efficient about doing the repair. Can't
> fault them on effort. Had one of their diesels, it
> ran about 10 ft. and quit, again decoder issue.
>
> I have never had a Kato unit fail in any way,
> drive train, decoder, sound, couplers, never any
> issues

I've read there have been a bad batch of ESU decoders.  The issue wasn't ScaleTrains so that isn't really a fair reason to dismiss.  Most brands now come with EUS decoders now.  Athearn seems to be the only holdout with Soundtrax.

Date: 03/27/24 20:41
Author: TomG

I dont really understand your question, both Kato and Scale Trains come with esu loksound. So your getting the same  sound decoder either way. It really comes down which brand do you like more?

Date: 03/27/24 22:05
Author: up833

The simple answer is----dont have sound!  Half fake chuffing and diesels with tinny horns. Take your recorder and go record some real train sounds.  or get a CD. Built in sound is a gimmic..IMO.  Lionel in N scale.
RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/24 22:06 by up833.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds