Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > Inflation?

Date: 04/04/24 15:22
Inflation?
Author: wabash2800

Recently, I sent out for three quotes on reversing the door swing on my new layout room with the existing hardware and door. I have actually done this before with my dad on his house. It is not hard (can be a little touchy) but works better if you have some special tools and jigs. Anyway, the only outfit that replied wanted over $500 and said it might take 3 to 4 hours. I will do it myself.

Victor Baird

Posted from Android

Date: 04/04/24 16:11
Re: Inflation?
Author: tmotor

Greeting Victor!

>  I will do it myself.
I'm with you, Victor!  :-D
For the price they charge, you could purchase those nice door jigs.  Then you will have them for any future projects.
If you don't want to store them, the vast majority of those types of tools can be rented as well.

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Date: 04/05/24 06:18
Author: atsf121

It's either inflation; or they know they don't have much competition for that type of job and can charge whatever they want; or they don't really want the job so the just quoted a really high price.  I'm leaning towards the second option, but it's hard to tell.  Good luck with the project.  

Nathan

Date: 04/05/24 06:44
Author: engineerinvirginia

I've hung doors single handed with no jigs....chiseled out the hinge pockets by hand and balanced it on my foot to hang it. Necessity is the mother of invention. 

Date: 04/05/24 07:06
Author: ChrisCampi

It's not a big enough job to make it worth while? Maybe the local handyman would take it. 

Date: 04/05/24 08:24
Author: BCutter

We have had to have doors re-imagined several times.  Had good results with asking for references at the lumber yard or asking friends whom they would suggest. When I was physically capable, I re-hung doors myself with usually "good enuf" results!  As long as The Boss aka the CEO aka my wife did not complain, I was golden.

Bruce

Date: 04/05/24 15:12
Author: LarryDoyle

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not a big enough job to make it worth while?
> Maybe the local handyman would take it. 

Your local, friendly, neighborhood hardware store, or perhaps your local, friendly, neighborhood hobby shop likely has a bulletin board where such handypersons may post their contact info and credentials (read "business card").

-LD

Date: 04/05/24 17:13

This was a quote through  a Hardware referal service. It's an antique door so like some of you said, maybe, they didn't want to touch it. With virtually no materials, 3 to 4 hours at over $500 is better than a finish carpenter makes.

Victor Baird

Posted from Android

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/24 13:55 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/06/24 05:23
Author: Lighter

> This was a quote through an Ace Hardware referal
> service. It's an antique door so like some of you
> said, maybe, they didn't want to touch it.

Without seeing the itemized quote, I'm guessing that the price and time includes replacing the jams so that the old chisel mortises don't show. Plus, matching the existing finish. That would come to about the price quoted. Even more, if the latch and hinge faces of the door also had to be restored.

Date: 04/06/24 13:30

I told them I was not interested in finishing or filling in the old holes. And it would be with all the original hardware. If I ever sell the house I woulld put it back the way it was and then refill the holes.

Victor Baird

Lighter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > This was a quote through a hardware
> referal
> > service. It's an antique door so like some of
> you
> > said, maybe, they didn't want to touch it.
>
> Without seeing the itemized quote, I'm guessing
> that the price and time includes replacing the
> jams so that the old chisel mortises don't show.
> Plus, matching the existing finish. That would
> come to about the price quoted. Even more, if the
> latch and hinge faces of the door also had to be
> restored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/24 13:56 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds