Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Model Railroading > TCS WOWSound Decoders: Sound Startup with Track Power?

Date: 04/17/24 16:12
TCS WOWSound Decoders: Sound Startup with Track Power?
Author: tehachapifan

I'm mosly an ESU guy and don't have much experience with TCS WOWSound decoders, but recently purchased an N scale Bachmann ES-44 Charger. I noticed that the loco's sound automatically starts up upon placing the loco on powered track as opposed to waiting for a function key to be hit. Is this normal behavior for these decoders? Is there a way to program it to only startup with a function key?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/24 16:19 by tehachapifan.

Date: 04/17/24 17:53
Re: TCS WOWSound Decoders: Sound Startup with Track Power?
Author: ChrisCampi

This might not be much help. It's been awhile since I played with this but you can hunt around in these options if no one else comes through for you.

Date: 04/17/24 20:52
Author: ajgreen

Hi there. 

Have a look at below, it may assist in helping you. You certainly can "Mute on startup" for any TCS Wow decoder (as I do to my locos, F12 starts them up again). Easiest of all is to do this via JMRI Decoderpro (last section of these notes).

See how you go. Good luck.

Allister.
New Zealand.

TCS WOW decoders have prime mover sound activated at power up as default unless an OEM asked for something different. F12 provides mute (sound off/on) by default.
TCS uses a non-NMRA-compliant indexed CV method they call 4-CV programming (See DCC Topic titled Understanding Indexed CVs). To set the decoder for “mute on startup”, first set three CV values as follows:
CV201=4
CV202=19
CV203=0
then set CV204 to a value of 4 plus any of the following you desire:
1  for manual notching feedback
2  for notch down when brakes are set
8  for switch / mainline feedback
16  for rotate horn / bell feedback
32  for light mode / sound mode feedback
64  for audio shutoff timer
128  if using Digitrax throttle (F2 momentary).
Once “mute on startup” is active, you can toggle the prime mover sound using function button 12. See page 19 of the 11/15/16 TCS WOWSound Diesel Version 4 Programming Guide. If desired, this can be mapped to a different function button as explained below.
If you use DecoderPro, all this is easy to do. There are two methods available:
1)    Set the values of CV201-204 using the “4-CV Programming” sheet. Follow the instructions on the sheet; or
2)    Use the “Sound” sheet. Check the “mute on startup” selection and Write Changes on Sheet.
To remap the prime mover sound on/off from function button 12 to some other function, use the “Sound Function” sheet in DecoderPro.

Date: 04/17/24 21:35
Author: tehachapifan

Great info, thanks!!

Date: 04/18/24 05:30
Author: aehouse

Simple, ain't it?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds