Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Model Railroading > Track planning software recommendations?

Date: 04/22/24 04:38
Track planning software recommendations?
Author: DutchDragon

Can anyone recommend a computer track layout program? I have started building temporarily N Scale layouts at conventions with Unitrack and it would be helpful to design the track plan ahead of time.

Date: 04/22/24 07:11
Re: Track planning software recommendations?
Author: mcdeo

Scram. Not sure if it has Kato canned track in it or not. I have not started using it yet, but looking forward to documenting my layout someday. 

https://www.scarm.info/index.php has been recommended several times from people lately.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 04/22/24 07:47
Author: bobwilcox

I recommend Anyrail with its extensive track libraries.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 04/22/24 09:25
Author: AVR3001

Have used Cadrail for years and really like it.

Date: 04/22/24 11:08
Author: SPDRGWfan

No electrons required!

Date: 04/22/24 11:49
Author: wabash2800

I have used 3rd Plant for years, but it might be more than what you need, though it is very easy to learn, IMO. And that includes a tutorial.

I have an older version, but it DOES INCLUDE Kato Unitrack. I think the software is about $125.00 now.  There is a 3rd Planit group on the I.O. Groups platform that migrated over from yahoo groups. Some of these people play with the software as in a hobby itself, but they can be very helpful. With the flip of toggle button, you can run a train on your layout and see things in 3D.

Have fun. I enjoy working on track plans in CAD, though it sometimes disappoints when I find that I can't fit in what I hoped would work! It keeps you honest! LOL

Advice: No matter what software you use, save all your versions. I also like to save a portion of a track plan as a group so I can paste it into another plan. There is no sense in starting all over again, and often what doesn't work for you now, will work for you again later. 

Victor Baird

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/24 12:44 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/23/24 11:23
Author: bobwilcox

Is it possible to import a 3rdPlanet file into a Trainz route?

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 04/23/24 20:54
Author: wabash2800

The views and files are not the same. What I'm referring to is to be able to draw a track plan and then go into view and set it up with engine height at track level. You don't see a train but run down the track as if you are on a train, either from the front or rear. And you can go in reverse.

But 3rd Plant has a more sophisticated set-up where you add locomotives and cars, and run them on the layout. I was never interested in carrying it that far. Having said that, the trains look toy-like compared to railroad simulation programs. It's a totally different animal.

Victor Baird

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/24 13:43 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/23/24 23:06
Author: ironmtn

I have used SCARM (Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeler) for years, and really like it. My model railroad uses N-scale Kato track, and the software includes the full track libraries for that Kato product (and its HO counterpart) and many other product lines as well (including quite a number you have likely never heard of). Functionality for the newer Kato N-scale flex track is also included. There are regular updates, and the updates also include additions and revisions to the track libraries.

I like the graphical qualities of the software and ease of use. It's also easy to mix track elements from various track libraries. For example, I am doing a redesign now in which I may use Peco N-scale curved switches. Kato unfortunately does not offer any curved switches, but Peco does, and they will solve some very real problems for me. I can freely intermix them and other Peco track with the Kato track elements without a problem. It may be an issue actually mixing the two in the build-out, but in the software they work together fine. Likewise, for example, some Atlas elements I have used in the past.

For those of you who model international railroads, the fact that the software's author, Milen Peev, is a Bulgarian European, helps assure very large track libraries in all scales, including Marklin, Arnold, Fleischmann, Peco, Roco, Shinohara, Tomix and Trix among others.

Visuals are below showing the "mixing" in two complex sections of the revised layout at a yard entrance and junction area, with the Kato track sections in white or blue, and the Peco in yellow. Power drop sections are in blue, and magnetic uncoupler sections have a grey bar between the rails. The color was added by me after the track sections were put in place as an aid when doling the build-out. Adding color like that is handy and easily done.

You will note in the second visual (added later - sorry it was forgotten originally) that the manufacturer's identification for each track section or item is shown, another help during construction. The software will also produce a complete listing of all items selected, an aid when checking your needs against existing track or feature inventory that you have, or as a purchase list for the items you need. Additional non-track items like bumpers and a turntable (to the Kato turntable's dimensions) are also available, as well as Kato's unique in-pavement track sections for building street-running or streetcar / tram trackage. Locations for roads can be added (as shown), and building locations can be added and sized, as well as other details. 3D preview and operational mode simulations are also featured.

A fairly generous free trial is available, and the cost for a licensed copy is very reasonable. All in all, highly recommended.

MC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/24 20:05 by ironmtn.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0798 seconds