Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Model Railroading > ScaleTrains 611 - What Gives?

Date: 04/25/24 12:23
ScaleTrains 611 - What Gives?
Author: CO1309

I was looking at the new Scaletrains video and another video online about the release and it doesnt look like they did much to advance the MTH existing product.  I would expect more lighting features like firebox and ground lights and that the drivers would be fixed at a minimum.  The cars are the same story.  Like some other person mentioned there's no change in numbers from the MTH run or other roads like NS provided.  Why wouldnt they make any effort to offer better reasons to upgrade my existing set?

-Charles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/24 12:26 by CO1309.

Date: 04/25/24 13:38
Re: ScaleTrains 611 - What Gives?
Author: wabash2800

Well, if it was a turnkey project acquired from MTH , they probably want to get some profit without putting any money into it right now. But they are offering different loco numbers and eras with different kinds of drivers. Give them them credit for that. Maybe perks will be added later. Most folks probably aren't going to add more cars to the train. How do you know they didn't make any improvement with problems the MTH model had?

Victor Baird

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/24 13:42 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/25/24 15:25
Author: PHall

Could be something as simple as a second run. IIRC they sold out fairly quickly.

Date: 04/25/24 20:04
Author: TomG

I thought I heard after ST acquired MTH that they were upgrading the power train to the standards of the current ST offerings..

Date: 04/26/24 07:12
Author: bigmc83

Your comments explain why the new 611 model is a part of the Fox Valley Product Line.....pretty detailed but not "rivet counter" level if fidelity.  Hopefully ST will elavate the loco and passenger cars to the Museum Quality portfolio and really sell some models.

-Sean

Date: 04/26/24 11:56
Author: ChrisCampi

Well I'm not sure what MTH offered but ST seems to have lots going on including complete electrical systems overhaul with power packs and boiler barker. 

https://www.scaletrains.com/fox-valley-models-ho-scale-n-w-class-j-4-8-4-norfolk-western-spirit-of-roanoke-post-2015.html

Date: 04/26/24 22:23
Author: prr4828

Hi all,

Last week, I attended two of their Roadshow events. Informative and fun. As Shane Wilson spoke, a slide show was shown, including views of model production in China. Complicated and labor intensive, to say the least.

So, suppose they released a NYC J-1e Hudson, from old tooling from a acquired company. For them produce a J-2 Hudson, with it's square sand dome, would require new tooling which can be prohibitively expensive. Also, would the new model cover the costs for the tooling, shipping and overhead costs? All part of the equation of 'to produce an engine (etc) or not'.

Check their youtube page. Videos therein explain alot about how model trains are made.

* JB *

CO1309 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was looking at the new Scaletrains video and
> another video online about the release and it
> doesn't look like they did much to advance the MTH
> existing product.  I would expect more lighting
> features like firebox and ground lights and that
> the drivers would be fixed at a minimum.  The
> cars are the same story.  Like some other person
> mentioned there's no change in numbers from the
> MTH run or other roads like NS provided.  Why
> wouldnt they make any effort to offer better
> reasons to upgrade my existing set?
>
> -Charles

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds