Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Model Railroading > After the PIKO KMs -- the Book is here!

Date: 04/25/24 17:19
After the PIKO KMs -- the Book is here!
Author: Notch16

A bit of the good news, if you've been waiting as long for this book as I have! <smiley emoji here>

Final approval copies arrived today from the printer, and shipment of books to SPH&TS headquarters should follow shortly!

Info on purchase is available from SPH&TS (The Company Store) or your favorite SPH&TS bookseller.

This volume, and the recent PIKO, Sunset/3rd Rail, and Union Terminal Imports KM models, couldn't have happened without the generous contributions of KM vets, fans, photogs, modelers, and restorers; all of whom are represented in the content that overflows the 384 pages.

And a modeler wrote this, so it's definitely got a modeler's slant, with modeler-friendly detailed photo studies. But it's also a mechanical and human history of the audacious SP diesel-hydraulic experiment of 1958-1968, and the improbable life of the sole surviving SP 9010 in Niles Canyon, California after that.

I'll leave off here, by saying I don't have more info on when SPH&TS or booksellers will be shipping. But the long wait... is allllllllmost over!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/24 17:22 by Notch16.

Date: 04/25/24 20:21
Re: After the PIKO KMs -- the Book is here!
Author: dmaffei

Congratulations BZ. I'm sure it will be awesome. Nothing like the attention to detail from a fantastic modeler who loves the subject matter doing a book. 
Photo one from long time family friend Ray Wille of SP 9010 after restoration by the PLA 
Photo two is the same locomotive as a camera car on Donner pass. Date and photographer unknown.

Date: 04/26/24 08:59
Author: original

BZ ! - Thanks. I know it was a long wait but, (yes, here's the but) I know it will be a great addition to the search for the truth !

Date: 04/26/24 19:16

I hope it's as much fun as the First Edition, and that the new pics will be exciting! There's new info too, and a chance to run numerous photos in much larger format.

Still the same 42-page roster section, with one full page photo for each of the major appearance/numbering variations. But so much more, and new photos there as well!

Thanks for all the patience and support!!!

~ BZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/24 19:18 by Notch16.

Date: 04/26/24 23:50
Author: brv200

Hi Bob,

hello from Munich with congrats to your 2nd edition.

Franz

Date: 04/27/24 09:16

Your pics are always great, Franz, but these are tremendous!

Thank you for all the help, and for introducing us to your friend Otto Baumgartner, the retired KM tech whose personal photos and recollections are such a vital part of the KM aspect of the book's story. So glad he got to see the First Edition.

More of his photos are included or expanded this time around. 

The PIKO ML4000 looks typically impressive in your low-angle shot. They were so much larger than the average 1961 power, and we take that for granted now. But your pic shows the true feeling they exuded in their day!

~ BZ

Date: 04/27/24 10:01
Author: wabash2800

Ach So. When I saw your models Franz and the fact that you live in Bayern, I knew there had to be some kind of connection!

Vielen Dunk for helping making Robert's books a success and please continue to share you models here at Trainorders.

Victor Baird
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/24 20:42 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/28/24 11:16

brv200 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Bob,
>
> hello from Munich with congrats to your 2nd
> edition.
>
> Franz

Hey Franz, can you pull the Rio Grande KM in your photo out of the shop? This is the PIKO version I'm interested in seeing made. Who would have ever imagined a plastic KM?
Dave Maffei 

Date: 04/29/24 00:09
Author: brv200

Dave, the Rio Grande model is just an old Rivarossi dummy. My goal was to place it in the distance in order to get some kind of blurring. A closer view would have revealed the "cheating"...:-)
I guess and hope, Piko will offer the D&RGW version or its SP derivates at the end of the year.

Greetings from Bavaria
Franz

Date: 04/29/24 23:48

brv200 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess and hope, Piko will offer the D&RGW
> version or its SP derivates at the end of the
> year.
>
> Greetings from Bavaria
> Franz

I hope so too. That version in the Rio Grande paint lettered for SP would be a good seller I bet.
Great looking layout Franz. Thanks for sharing...

Date: 05/08/24 20:33
Author: wabash2800

The Rio Grande version was a bit more orange wasn't it?

https://www.trains.com/mrr/videos-photos/videos/member-videos/division-point-brass-drgw-krauss-maffei-ml-4000s/

Victor Baird

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/24 20:40 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds