Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Model Railroading > Two new transformer loads

Date: 04/25/24 20:46
Two new transformer loads
Author: tomd

Slowly building up my 3D design experience.  Created two new tranformer loads. Both loads still need tie downs.

1) This is an older shell transformer on an F&C flat car. It was modeled after a Westinghouse load, but on my layout it is decaled as a GE transformer  A newer version of a shell transfomer was posted back in Feb.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5816753,5817306#msg-5817306
2) This is a smaller transformer that I modeded from a photo in my collection. The load will be used on Class One GSC 6 axle flat cars.  Like the first on, this is modeled after a Westinghouse load, but I decaled as GE

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

Date: 04/27/24 14:46
Re: Two new transformer loads
Author: tmotor

Greetings Tom!

Love the bolt head details.
They have the look of a transformers, with beefy lifting brackets and heavy reinforcement bracing.
They don't show any layer lines, so they look like injection molded parts.  What 3D printer was used to produce them?  
Nicely done!  :-D

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/24 15:33 by tmotor.

Date: 04/27/24 16:25

Dave

These were printed on an Elegoo Saturn 2 8K. I had two Anycubic printers prior to it, and like the results much better.

They were designed in TinkerCad, and I have reached the limit of what it can do, interms of model size.

Tom

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

Date: 04/28/24 23:16
Author: tmotor

Greetings Tom!

> These were printed on an Elegoo Saturn 2 8K.
That is a SWEET printer! 
That explains why the resolution on those part is so good.

> I had
> two Anycubic printers prior to it, and like the
> results much better.
My first 3D printer was an Anycubic Photon.  It was a good printer, but higher res. printers made it obsolete in a few months.  (Which is to be expected with a lot of new companies entering the market with printers that are pushing the state of the art.)

> They were designed in TinkerCad, and I have
> reached the limit of what it can do, interms of
> model size.
If a model is larger than the Build Volume, it can be divided-up into separate parts.  Of course the trick is to choosing where to have the seam so it doesn't show, or is easily filled and sanded smooth.

Take care and God bless!
Dave

Date: 04/29/24 20:50

There is no problem with the build volume.

In some of my models, I have reached a limit of the usabiity of TinkerCad.  I do not know if it a shape limit or mesh itself.  Tthere are times where it will take hours to write out a STL, and sometime never compete.

I am working on a model of the BSCK 1007 well car, and the tread plate sends it to never, never land.  I am breaking up the model to make it work in the CAD tool

Sometimes exiting and restaring works, but no pattern.  Even had the STL file written out with shapes that were not in the design.

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0814 seconds