Home Open Account Help 170 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers NSC 3unit well set

Date: 04/26/24 07:31
Walthers NSC 3unit well set
Author: rschonfelder

I find that Walthers has gone away from the tried and true principle of a three point method of tightening trucks to eliminate freight car wobble.  In their design of these cars and recognizing that these are a three well set, their design does have a wobble by making the centre well float on the two articulated trucks attached to the "A" and "B" well. What I noticed right away was that the 38" wheels will scrape on the under side of the "C" well when entering a curve. I was testing it through a 34" plus curve.  This was caused by the wiggle caused by there only being two centre points on the articulated trucks.

i think a quick fix may be to go non-prototypical and change the 38" wheels on the articulated trucks to smaller diameter wheels.  The other alternative is to grind out a clearance on the "C" well.

I am surprised that no one has noted this. If you compare this Walthers set with the Atlas or Kato sets, one wonders why they did not follow a tried, true and successful method of having one of interior trucks being on the "C" well.  Perhaps this could have been avoided if there was a recess underneath to provide clearance on curves for the 38" curves.

I believe that Lorne James (Otter Valley) may continue with his production of the NSC car.

Rick

Date: 04/26/24 13:06
Re: Walthers NSC 3unit well set
Author: CO1309

I saw the issues you mentioned noted on videos online so it has been noted.  After watching and researching I decided to buy a few sets and add weights to the containers on the center car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds