Home Open Account Help 170 users online

Model Railroading > Tampa Northern freight cars.

Date: 04/28/24 08:00
Tampa Northern freight cars.
Author: SALGUY

Over the past 36 hours I've been working on some freight cars for the Tampa Northern.  Lets check things out 

Photo 1.  An Accurail 50ft boxcar that simply needed to have 2 new sill steps put on the car.  Of course, I used A-Line sill steps.  I then painted them black to look like the repair was done off line.  

Also in that photo you will see 3 50ft hicube double door boxcars.  These will be used in a dedicated pool with a friends Tennessee Southern.  The TN will send dimensional lumber and the TS will send back finished fine furniture.  Ill have 6 cars in this pool. I need to get decals produced for the lettering and data on these cars. 

Photo 2. 4 ancient MDC offset side ballast cars. These are the first of an eventual 12 car ballast train.  I've also got to get custom decals produced for the lettering and data on these cars.  These will be TNMW reporting marks and will be numbered in the 200 series. 

Photo 3.  3 Accurail  ACF 4750   Centerflow 3 bay covered hoppers.  I started these a month or so ago. Sadly, I didn't have enough decals to get them all lettered identically.  My decal guy, Al Ivers, is no longer producing decals.  I'm going to have to explore other options for the production of decals.  I used Circus City for the engine decals.  I may have to use then for all of my decal needs. 

Be sure to follow my Tampa Northern.https://www.facebook.com/groups/879490203259220/?ref=share_group_link

Date: 04/28/24 12:48
Re: Tampa Northern freight cars.
Author: inyosub

Why not patch some of the cars, especially the ballast cars.
I always liked the Herzog patched former Milwaukee rd ballast hoppers that
the SP used on Tehachapi. Enough to where I patched up a few for the 
old layout. And you don't need special decals. Just the letters (and #s if desired)
All in all looking good.

Date: 04/28/24 16:01

inyosub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not patch some of the cars, especially the
> ballast cars.
> I always liked the Herzog patched former Milwaukee
> rd ballast hoppers that
> the SP used on Tehachapi. Enough to where I
> patched up a few for the 
> old layout. And you don't need special decals.
> Just the letters (and #s if desired)
> All in all looking good.

I made the decision that the Tampa Northern would not be patching out cars.  I just don't like how that looks.  

With regard to the decals, I'd rather pay to have them produced than do all of the info letter by letter.   In that regard, to me, the cost of getting decals done is worth it.  
Thanks

Denis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/24 20:07 by SALGUY.

Date: 04/28/24 18:52
Author: CSX2605

Looking great!

Date: 04/29/24 11:44
Author: NiagaraMike

Nice looking collection!

Date: 04/29/24 20:07

NiagaraMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice looking collection!

Thank you. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds