Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Model Railroading > Just Trains - Concord, CA

Date: 05/04/24 15:00
Just Trains - Concord, CA
Author: Pullman

As posted on the store web pages:

Just Trains Moving / New Ownership

We had wanted to wait to make this announcement until we have complete details, but the rumor train is speeding out of control down the track and we want to bring it to a stop with some facts.

For the past 39 years Just Trains has served the model railroad community, 35 of those years from our current Imhoff Drive location. With a proposed 50% rent increase upon at the expiration of our current lease this summer, the store can no longer support the location. Just Trains will continue operations, but we will be moving. We are currently evaluating new locations to move to. Once we have the details and timing of the moving events we will share them.

During the history of Just Trains, there have been two owners. The Just Trains story started with Joan Saunders. We purchased the store from Joan 9 years ago. It is now time for the next chapter of the Just Trains story. Wes Andreen, our general manager, will be taking ownership upon the closure of the present location.

With the changing retail landscape, Wes has a vision to evolve Just Trains with an increased focus on e-commerce, in a smaller retail footprint. Wes is still committed to maintaining the Just Trains legacy of customer service.

As previously said, we wanted to wait until we had all the answers in place, but we were not given that opportunity. We had to put a stop to the rumor that we are going out of business, because it is not true. Like the rest of the world, Just Trains is evolving to continue. This posting may raise more questions for you. We will answer them as best we can as we know the answers. We have established a FAQ page on the store website at http://just-trains.com/moving-faq . 

Rosita and I appreciate all the friendship and support we have received from our customers and vendors during our chapter in the Just Trains story. We sincerely hope that continues as the story continues under Wes’ leadership. 

Thanks, 
Jim & Rosita Anthony
Just Trains

Date: 05/04/24 15:39
Re: Just Trains - Concord, CA
Author: up833

Good luck. I didnt see N scale as a online selection .
RB

Date: 05/04/24 17:35
Author: wpdude

You folks have taken good care of me under past and present leadership. Wes seems like a good guy, never met in person due to my remote location. Look forward to our future.
Thanks, Graham Church 

Date: 05/04/24 18:02
Author: funnelfan

Seeing a lot of this in the small business world. This high inflation is really slowing the economy and likely going to cause a economic crash much like it did in the 70's early 80's. The building owners are getting squeezed by hgiher assessed property values, but run the risk of losing tenants when they raise the rent dramaticlly. A 50% jump in rent wasn't a good move on the part of the building owner, as they may be holding onto a empty space for years if a recession hits. Would have been better for the building owner to agree to a smaller increase over a shorter term contract.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/04/24 19:52
Author: koloradokid

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seeing a lot of this in the small business world.
> This high inflation is really slowing the economy
> and likely going to cause a economic crash much
> like it did in the 70's early 80's. The building
> owners are getting squeezed by hgiher assessed
> property values, but run the risk of losing
> tenants when they raise the rent dramaticlly. A
> 50% jump in rent wasn't a good move on the part of
> the building owner, as they may be holding onto a
> empty space for years if a recession hits. Would
> have been better for the building owner to agree
> to a smaller increase over a shorter term
> contract.

Greed rules and the little man/woman suffers and the owners just don't give a damn.  and an empty space is likely a tax deduction.  Everything is going up by leaps and bounds, but the wages might jump up a measely 3%.  Everyone should be union if they want to survive.

RR

Date: 05/04/24 20:42
Author: atsf121

Interesting news, will have to keep an eye on their online offerings. Joan was wonderful, she was super nice to my little boys when we would visit the store. I had been shopping there since finding the store in college. I spent a lot of money there over the years before moving away. Fond memories of the shop, and the had a great in-store layout.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/04/24 22:31
Author: Westbound

20 years ago a speciality store in my California city, in a space and location just right for a hobby shop was paying $3500 monthly rent. The owner was advised by the new shopping center owners that his rent was going to increase to $5000 and they would not discuss anything less. The store owner told me he was so close to retirement age he would simply sell all his merchandise and retire, which he did. The shopping center was well established at a freeway interchange and very well kept and attractive. We go there often and I regularly look at that still vacant retail space, just 5 doors away from a very busy supermarket.

The property owners have now lost more than $840,000 rental income for that space because of their greed, and the number continues to increase. Sorry about what has happened to Just Trains. It can take years to learn a lesson. Maybe one is coming.

Date: 05/05/24 10:53
Author: Barstool

FUNNELFAN...,I have beeincoming to Just Trains whenit was under Gary and thenJoan and have beentreated red hot, I have bought a greatamount of model railroadequipment via Just Trainsthen and will continue to shop as I wasable to get what ever I wanted,they werealways able to get whatI wanted ad surprised with new equipment in MR'ers and i took advantage of the service...It is the place to go,besides many of the guys meet there and a lotidea's changed hands and it was always a good time for a bullsession...The full size model railrod has the guys running their stuff, andmany guys arrived always had good hands and could do almostanything..I met many new friends at Just Trains...

Date: 05/05/24 12:05
Re: Just Trains - Concord,
Author: ChrisCampi

The property owner raising the rent fifty percent tells me they have another plan for the property. Unless their just flaming stupid. Which could very well be.

Appreciate the heads up for the shop. Don't get there to often but always enjoyed it.

Date: 05/05/24 17:17
Author: Notch16

Thanks for the well-worded and complete explanation! Best of all in the new incarnation!

~ Bob Z.

Date: 05/06/24 14:15
Author: BAB

koloradokid Wrote:
> funnelfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Seeing a lot of this in the small business
> world.
> > This high inflation is really slowing the
> economy
> > and likely going to cause a economic crash much
> > like it did in the 70's early 80's. The
> building
> > owners are getting squeezed by hgiher assessed
> > property values, but run the risk of losing
> > tenants when they raise the rent dramaticlly. A
> > 50% jump in rent wasn't a good move on the part
> of
> > the building owner, as they may be holding onto
> a
> > empty space for years if a recession hits.
> Would
> > have been better for the building owner to
> agree
> > to a smaller increase over a shorter term
> > contract.
>
>
> Greed rules and the little man/woman suffers and
> the owners just don't give a damn.  and an empty
> space is likely a tax deduction.  Everything is
> going up by leaps and bounds, but the wages might
> jump up a measely 3%.  Everyone should be union
> if they want to survive.
>
> RR
So everyone needs to be in a Union, really?  Not needed  for many places they have survived for years as rraising there prices they would have lost business. Guess that you dont understand small businesses and there P&L.  

Date: 05/06/24 15:52
Author: PHall

ChrisCampi Wrote:
> The property owner raising the rent fifty percent
> tells me they have another plan for the property.
> Unless their just flaming stupid. Which could very
> well be.
>
> Appreciate the heads up for the shop. Don't get
> there to often but always enjoyed it.

It's an "industrial park" type complex and from driving by it looks like their vacancy rate is pretty low. Maybe the property owner really believes he can raise the rent that much and not lose too many tenants.

Date: 05/06/24 16:32
Author: ChrisCampi

PHall Wrote:
> ChrisCampi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The property owner raising the rent fifty
> percent
> > tells me they have another plan for the
> property.
> > Unless their just flaming stupid. Which could
> very
> > well be.
> >
> > Appreciate the heads up for the shop. Don't get
> > there to often but always enjoyed it.
>
> It's an "industrial park" type complex and from
> driving by it looks like their vacancy rate is
> pretty low. Maybe the property owner really
> believes he can raise the rent that much and not
> lose too many tenants.

Much small scale industrial space around here is being torn down and redeveloped.  One way to remove your current occupants is to raise the rate 50% or more. 

Date: 05/06/24 19:14
Author: Streamliner

For the most part, any successful business that has been around for several years and does not need to be in the exact same location, should be buying their own building.  If the owner DOESN'T buy his or her own building, electing to instead continue paying rent, it is just foolish, to my way of thinking.  Once a business is really successful, does the business owner really think that the landlord is just going to keep renewing the lease at very favorable terms until the cows come home?  If he or she does think that, they need to think again.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1204 seconds