Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Model Railroading > Southern Transcon - The Thunder Run Update

Date: 06/09/24 12:15
Southern Transcon - The Thunder Run Update
Author: djh4d

Afternoon Y'all, I finally had a moment to sit down and give everyone a proper update on the happening on the Southern Transcon. For the month of April, we felt that things we're not moving along as fast as we felt it should, so we set some lofty goals. To achieve those goals, we had to put in a bunch of extra work days, hence the "thunder run".

Helix
1. One of the goals was to finish up the helix as soon as possible. The helix was started in October of last year and continues to be an ongoing project. All that was left was finish a 5 more loops and connect it to the third level.
2. Since space was a premium between loops, here's how we ran feeders from the track to the inside of the helix.
3. More progress. We're about halfway there.

More to come...

Date: 06/09/24 12:23
Re: Southern Transcon - The Thunder Run Update

4. The loops are done! With the third level attached, all that was left was to connect the roadbed and start laying track.

5. Roadbed connected. This is Carnero, which is around Vaughn, NM.

6. Helix is now wired up. We're going to leave the wires as they are in case we need to do any troubleshooting. But we plan on painting everything black so they blend in with the helix.

More to come...

Date: 06/09/24 12:28
Author: gandydancer4

May I ask where this is located? I would love to visit when it's done. 

Date: 06/09/24 12:34

Augusta, KS

7. The bench work for Augusta was completed and 1.5" foam was glued down. We opted to use foam in order to save weight.

8. Laying out the swtiches and diamonds with the BN. Since space was a little compacted here, we didn't have enough space for all the switches and the road crossing. So we opted for the overpass here. It definitely puts a date stamp on the area, but we have to work with what we got.

9. The main line is done. All that's left is to finish the BN. That will come later as we're focusing on the mainline at the moment.

More to come...

Date: 06/09/24 12:42

El Dorado, KS

10. Much like Augusta, we opted to use foam to save on weight.

11. El, Dorado is a straight shot as can be. Using a laser and yard ruler, we marked out and corked the main. The BN interchange is on the left and the siding is on the right. The space on the right is for a couple of industries that the BN serves.

12. A view from the other end. Much on El, Dorado is occupied by chemical plants.

More to come...

Date: 06/09/24 12:51

13. The rest of the bench work was built at the end of El Dorado. This completes the bench work until it's time to build Willow Springs, IL.

14. More of the completed bench work. 

15. The roadbed was cut and glued together between West Chelsea and East El, Dorado. Since this picture, it's all been mounted on risers, cork glued down, and track added.

More to come...

Date: 06/09/24 13:01

Curtis Hill

13. The rest of the roadbed was cut and glued together for Curtis Hill. From here, it is climbing all the way to the third level. 

14. After everything was mounted on risers, cork and track was added. Just like the real thing, track one is wood ties while track 2 is concrete.

15. The crossovers. Switch machines were added and the frogs were wired up. All that's left is to add the DS47s and connect everything to the LocoNet.

That wraps up this update. Looking back at this, this is a brief skim at everything that was done over the past couple of months. We hope to have the mainline done in the next month and that will allow us to start having some shakedown runs in order to root out any gremlins. After that, we;ll program all the signals and start setting up the Auto Dispatch and Auto Run for the new section of the railroad.

Any questions, comments, and complaints are welcome.

Enjoy,
-Dave

Date: 06/09/24 13:02

gandydancer4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> May I ask where this is located? I would love to
> visit when it's done. 

Columba, TN

Thanks for asking,
-Dave

Date: 06/10/24 07:34
Author: trainman

Will you have actual interchange work at Augusta when all finished ?

Posted from Android

Date: 06/10/24 08:06
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your updates. What is the maximum grade?

Victor Baird

Date: 06/10/24 11:49

trainman Wrote:
> Will you have actual interchange work at Augusta
> when all finished ?
>
> Posted from Android

Yes. In addition, the BN will be wired up and someone could switch everything as a BN local.

-Dave

Date: 06/10/24 12:04

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your updates.
> What is the maximum grade?
>
> Victor Baird

Hi Victor, 1.5% on the helix and to/from the staging yards. The first half of Curtis Hill is 1%, but after the crossovers, it increases to 2% for two reasons. Standing at the bottom of the real Curtis Hill, it looks like it's climbing straight up because you can see so much of it. In order to capture the same look, we had to give it a little more climb for the model of it. Also, by increasing the climb, the hill reaches the third level before Woodward, OK.

-Dave

Date: 06/10/24 15:25
Author: wabash2800

Sounds great Dave. I assume you are gong to run some long trains. Anything above 2%. IMO, would be problematic even with diesel power and shorter trains.

Victor Baird

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/24 21:15 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/10/24 15:29
Author: SPDRGWfan

So much blue, blue everywhere!  To be honest I've done something similar but I went with a lighter blue close to how it would appear low in the sky.

Date: 06/11/24 23:22
Author: funnelfan

How much clearance between levels do you have on that helix? It looks rather tight. You may want to think about how much room you have to rerail a train that derailed in there.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0696 seconds