Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Model Railroading > My model railroad time machine!

Date: 01/19/04 17:37
My model railroad time machine!
Author: CNW

Dialed my time machine back to July 1976 today. I did some train watching and found this collection of units at the engine house. Model railroading is more than just a three-dimensional art form; it's also a way to recall old times. This made me remember a time when I had to clean the traction motor grease off my shoes!

Date: 01/19/04 17:43
Re: My model railroad time machine!
Author: dboehlke

Wow! Very nice.

Date: 01/19/04 18:04
Author: Locoinsp

Very nice, CNW!! I had to look twice to make sure the locos were models. Thanks for posting.

Date: 01/19/04 18:19
Author: kog1027

Nice, Really nice. I can smell the diesel fumes.

Date: 01/19/04 19:34
Author: oddballsdecals

Very nice indeed, but you need more clutter around the engine house, looks too clean to me.

CNW was always one of my favorite railroads.

Tom Stolte
Oddballs Decals

Date: 01/19/04 20:21
Author: tmotor2

Awesome picture, thanks for posting and hopefully you have more you can post.

Thanks,
Joel

Date: 01/19/04 20:21
Author: espeeboy

one word - WOW!

Date: 01/19/04 22:47
Author: alco636

Love the C-425 in the background. You even added the gong bell behind the cab! A+ stuff.

Date: 01/20/04 04:49
Re: My model railroad time machine!(Explanation)

The photo was taken the old fashion way, with film, on my layout using a Canon 35mm SLR camera and a “modified” Canon EF lens. All of the models are kit-bashed, detailed, painted, and weathered to recreate a specific prototype, with the exception of the white Ford truck, which is right out-of-the-box. The models “happened” to be sitting in this position, begging me to take a photograph. I’m still waiting for a real time machine, but until that gets done, I guess I’ll just have to go train watching in my basement!

Date: 01/20/04 10:03
Author: bmalonef45

Do you have more pics of this location on your layout? Would love to see them if you do.

Great work!

Bryan Malone
www.high-iron.com

Date: 01/20/04 11:19
Author: rdsexton

Modified Canon EF lens... Care to elaborate? That is an exceptionally good picture. I know how difficult it is to get that kind of realism in a model photo. Superb!

Date: 01/20/04 15:55
Author: Betsy

Superb! -Elizabeth

Date: 01/20/04 23:00
Author: tracktime

Awesome work! especially that Geep with the hood off revealing the air compressor assembly. Haven't seen that before in HO til now!

Excellent modeling! Well done! Please feel free to post more of your layout.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 01/21/04 00:08
Author: fjc

I'm with the others, great model work and very realistic. The thing that really adds to it, is the prime mover sitting on the frame, it looks so real and the weathering is right on the money. Would that happen to be one of those 567's that OMI produced a couple of years ago? I've yet to see anything in plastic that looks that good, what did you use for the traction motors in the scene as well?

Thanks

Date: 01/21/04 08:11

The prime mover is the Walther's 16-567-B kit with no modifications other than painting and weathering. It was given a black wash with thinned down PolyScale engine black. The manifolds were painted with PolyScale rust. The plumbing rack and compressor are scratch from photos using styrene shapes and brass wire. The traction motors are a purchased detail part, I don't remember the name of the manufacturer who makes them. The wheels and blunt axel ends were added to the motors. The rest of the Geep are the remains of an Atlas GP7 after the drive was cannibalized from it to repower an F unit.

Date: 01/21/04 23:23
Author: larry020

CNW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The traction motors are a purchased detail part, I
> don't remember the name of the manufacturer who
> makes them.

I think that would be Utah Pacific.

Thank you for sharing your stroll down memory lane. It was most enjoyable.

Date: 01/22/04 19:27
Author: FECSD40-2

Fantastic!! I love it!! Beautiful work!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0869 seconds