Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > SD70M Flared Radiator Kits

Date: 03/05/04 16:21
SD70M Flared Radiator Kits
Author: CR70MAC

Does anyone know who the company is who makes the flared radiator grills for Athearn Genesis SD70M's? I can't remember the name. Also if you have other info about them (price etc..) that would be great. TIA.

-Scott, Philly PA

Date: 03/05/04 17:38
Re: SD70M Flared Radiator Kits
Author: UPED

Scott,
The company is called Southeastern Prototype Models out of Buford, GA. I tried their website and it did not connect. You may try Walthers but I do not think they carried their products.
http://www.seprotomodels.com/

Date: 03/06/04 12:48
Author: Bluejay

Trainmaster Models (770) 271-0100
Had some on the shelf last week...
www.trainmastermodels.com
No connection to the business, just relaying information.

Date: 03/06/04 15:33
Author: NSTopHat

CR70MAC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know who the company is who makes the
> flared radiator grills for Athearn Genesis
> SD70M's? I can't remember the name. Also if you
> have other info about them (price etc..) that
> would be great. TIA.
>
> -Scott, Philly PA

Scott (or anyone else);

You can contact me directly regarding the SD70M flared radiators at rmgnw611@msn.com. The website is currently being worked on.

Russ Goodwin
Owner - Southeastern Prototype Models

Date: 03/08/04 01:42
Author: Runs4TheNS

NSTopHat Wrote:

> Scott (or anyone else);
>
> You can contact me directly regarding the SD70M
> flared radiators at rmgnw611@msn.com. The website
> is currently being worked on.
>
> Russ Goodwin
> Owner - Southeastern Prototype Models

Russ,

If Athearn ever re-releases the C44-9W, I sure hope you guys will consider doing an NS C40-9W Cab and Right Side fuel tank (for the post-1995 GE tank-mounted air reservoirs) to fit the "BNSF Version" Athearn shell (the Phase II cab mounting is different from the Phase I).

I'm in the process of converting three of the "BNSF" bodies to NS units, and between the cabs and fuel tanks, there has got to be an easier way!

Date: 03/08/04 02:58
Author: Vinnie

And while your at it, make a cab subbase for a D9-40C that has the correct door arrangements. I'm kitbashing one right now and there is no easy way to do the subbase without major surgery.

Vince

Date: 03/08/04 05:09
Author: NSTopHat

Guys;

The Dash 9 Std. Cab are under serious consideration. What is likely to be done is the battery boxes and the correct nose, with the recommendation of the Atlas Cab.

I hadn't seriously considered the fuel tank side. Since the components are available from Details West for the fuel tank, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I have thought about the Dash 9 Wide Cab, but I'm still trying to figure it out.

First I've got to finish the SD70M cab.

Russ
aka - NSTopHat

Date: 03/08/04 09:26

Ok, should I stop right now with my Spartan cab Dash 9 and wait for the subbase to be produced (-;? I am using the Atlas cab and nose and I laminated a piece of styrene to the top of the Atlas nose to get the right height. It turned out better than I thought it would.

Vince

Date: 03/08/04 10:45
Author: BNSFCSX

If you're that far along keep going. Russ is considering the base for a future project. Right know he's finishing up the EMD phase II cab so we can all do our own NS and UP SD70M's.
The flare kit works great by the way. Once I wrap up these two units I'm working on for my good friend JRF next up on the builders floor is a couple of Kato 70MAC's in the new CSX version using these flare kits. The NS and UP 70's I've done to date turned out great and once the cab kit is done I've got requests to do more.

BNSFCSX

Date: 03/08/04 12:04

NSTopHat Wrote:
> Guys;
>
> I hadn't seriously considered the fuel tank side.
> Since the components are available from Details
> West for the fuel tank, it doesn't seem to be an
> issue.

I hear ya on that one. I've tried using the DW parts, but the conversion isn't for the faint of heart. I think I've got a few botched fuel tanks laying around from some efforts that didn't prove to be successful. Heck, even just a fuel tank side, with the bottom mount already in the casting, that lets one drop the DW parts right into place without cutting and filing, would reduce the modeler's "error factor" considerably...

Date: 03/08/04 13:33

BNSFCSX Wrote:
> If you're that far along keep going. Russ is
> considering the base for a future project. Right
> know he's finishing up the EMD phase II cab so we
> can all do our own NS and UP SD70M's.
> The flare kit works great by the way. Once I wrap
> up these two units I'm working on for my good
> friend JRF next up on the builders floor is a
> couple of Kato 70MAC's in the new CSX version
> using these flare kits. The NS and UP 70's I've
> done to date turned out great and once the cab kit
> is done I've got requests to do more.
>
> BNSFCSX
>

With a phase II cab on the way, and the flared radiator kit I suppose I'll have to break down and do an NS SD70M as well.

Vince

Date: 03/08/04 17:35
Author: cjohnson

Runs4TheNS Wrote:

> If Athearn ever re-releases the C44-9W, I sure
> hope you guys will consider doing an NS C40-9W Cab
> and Right Side fuel tank (for the post-1995 GE
> tank-mounted air reservoirs) to fit the "BNSF
> Version" Athearn shell (the Phase II cab mounting
> is different from the Phase I).

Are you sure about the cab mounting? I thought they had retooled all the Dash 9's to use the same mounting as the AC4400CW?

Chris Johnson

Date: 03/08/04 17:50

cjohnson Wrote:

> Are you sure about the cab mounting? I thought
> they had retooled all the Dash 9's to use the same
> mounting as the AC4400CW?
>
> Chris Johnson

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. I picked up an undec Phase 1 body, as well as a couple undec powered units, and they all had the original configuration where the cab mounted on top of the walkways. The BNSF versions have the latter style, with the cab and side sills being one piece. Might depend when the bodies were actually produced...

Date: 03/08/04 18:12
Author: NSDash9

Athearn retooled their phase I Dash 9-44CW bodies shortly after they released the phase II body so that the cabs would be interchangeable. I have both types in front of me here.

Chris Toth

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds