Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Model Railroading > Alco Truck or Sideframe Replacements?

Date: 01/23/05 16:07
Alco Truck or Sideframe Replacements?
Author: 6088

Anyone know if these trucks or sideframes can be replaced with more modern ones, that look better, maybe actually sprung trucks? I don't know what these specific trucks are called, but this is an Alco RS 32 model. This would be in HO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Date: 01/23/05 17:01
Re: Alco Truck or Sideframe Replacements?
Author: CNW

Those trucks are known as "AAR Type B Road trucks". They were used by Alco and GE. Baldwin also used them but with a slightly longer wheelbase. Looking at your photo, I'm assuming your brass RS32 is HO scale and 1970-1980 vintage. My suggestion would be to remove the entire shell and transplant it onto an Atlas RS11 chassis. The early version of the Atlas RS11 from the 1980s and 1990s ran on the same chassis as their RS3 model and had a slightly shorter truck center dimension than the prototype. The current version, is suppose to have the correct truck centers of 31'-0". A friend of mine did a similar project with an old Alco Models RS27 with great results.

CNW

(Modeler of the CNW's 1970's Alco powered land barges)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds