Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Model Railroading > LIVE STEAM in the 'basement'...

Date: 01/23/05 10:30
LIVE STEAM in the 'basement'...
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hi guys-- here are just a couple of shots of the 1/2" scale, 2 1'2" gauge (GAUGE 3) live steam railroad that was built by the late Vic Shattock of Oakland, CA..
Vic was the Founder of the Golden Gate Live Steamers..

In this photo, we see VIC with three of his scratch-built locomotives:
An SP 4-6-2 and two SP 2-8-2 locomotives..

(Vic was KRK's grandfather)

Date: 01/23/05 10:34
Re: LIVE STEAM in the 'basement'...

Here is a general view of the mainline with the double-slip switches in evidence..
The late Tim Reardon inspects a passing train..
The deadend track to the right of photo in the foreground, crossed over to the roundhouse and turntable via a removable piece of track..

Date: 01/23/05 10:38

Here is Vic's SP Mikado # 3217 on the mainline going across the ballast deck trestle that was scratchbuilt, between two tunnels.
Note the cute little fire barrels..

This engine was taken to New York City in 1938 by Vic Shattock. It was steamed up in Radio City before an NBC radio audience on the "Hobby Lobby" broadcast of October 19th of that year, and the cylinder cocks and whistle and exhaust have the distinction of being heard on a national hookup all over the country..

Date: 01/23/05 10:43

Here is one of Vic's SP Mikado 2-8-2 locomotives being fired up on the "firing-up track" after being pulled off the turntable in the Roundhouse area..
The locomotives burned "denatured alcohol" in a special vaporizing gas burner designed by Vic himself. It burned hot and was just like your kitchen stove, controlled by a needle valve..

In this photo, Vic Shattock is on the left.
On the right, is Mr. E.D. Moody, Assistant General Manager, Southern Pacific Company...

Hope you have enjoyed a few old memories...

KRK

Date: 01/23/05 11:50
Author: steamco

So. . . What ever happened to these fine locomotive models. You have them now?

Date: 01/23/05 12:11

In answer to your question, I have ONE of his original SP 4-6-2 Pacific-type locomotives (SP 2422 I) that he built in 1929..
The others (many) have disappeared over the years thru various ownership changes. What a pity, huh ?

KRK

Date: 01/23/05 12:25
Re: LIVE STEAM in the 'basement'...to Ken.
Author: Fournickles

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi guys-- here are just a couple of shots of the
> 1/2" scale, 2 1'2" gauge (GAUGE 3) live steam
> railroad that was built by the late Vic Shattock
> of Oakland, CA..
> Vic was the Founder of the Golden Gate Live
> Steamers..
>
> In this photo, we see VIC with three of his
> scratch-built locomotives:
> An SP 4-6-2 and two SP 2-8-2 locomotives..
>
> (Vic was KRK's grandfather)

Thank you so much for sharing these pics...what a breath of 'fresh air'...fabulous! Very few 'craftsmen' any more...unfortunately...Bruce.

Date: 01/23/05 12:55
Author: espeeboy

sweet stuff KRK! What a cool grandfather and one tough specialized hobby. When wa the last time you met someone thawt scratchbuilt their own live steam locomotives in perfect scale?

do you have dates on the pictures KRN? TIA...

Date: 01/23/05 16:24
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Thanks for sharing those photos.
That man Vic was a heck of a modeller.
Good thing smoke detectors weren't
required in homes back then!

Date: 01/23/05 18:40

Espeeboy--
Those four 'sample' photos were basically taken in the 1944--1948 time period...

I lived in that house on the corner of 38th Ave & Foothill Blvd in Oakland, with my grandparents, for the first 14-years of my life...
Yes, I was probably the envy of every kid in school, BUT, what is funny is that for Christmas--1952, I awoke to find that "Santa" had brought me a new MARX electric train set that was set up in the Living Room of our Victorian home.

It was a GREAT set-- I loved it! He also eventually got me a real neat GILBERT chemistry set. That was neat too.
But just a few FEET below where I slept was a STEAM railroad empire..
450 feet of track, 18 turnouts, 55" long turntable, roundhouse containing 2- 4-6-2 Pacific's, 2- 2-8-2 Mikados, 1- 2-8-0 Consolidation and an 0-6-0 switch engine with fantail tender. Plus a 3/4" scale 4-6-2 Pacific, plus a 2-4-2 Prairie in 3/4" scale, plus 23 freight cars, and 1 SP Chair car for visiting brass..

What more could a kid want??

Cheers.

KRK

Date: 01/23/05 19:34
BIG Basement Live Steam
Author: OnTrackEd

Ken, I was going to ask if you were related to the great Vic Shattock, founder of the GGLS. Question answered!

Also in Oakland was Gordon Bennett, a collector of 15" gauge (give or take) live steam equipment. Included in his basement collection were two 12" gauge Atlantics, built by Allan Shelly for use at the William Land Park in Sacramento, as well as a 15" gauge, 3" scale New York Central J1A Hudson built by Jay Neracker in Rochester, NY and finished and put into service by Bob Callender in Southern California (now at Sonoma Traintown). He also had a 15" gauge Cagney or Herschell-Spillman being backdated similar to Erich Thomsen's "Cricket". The two Atlantics ran in Washington on a private railroad, and are still there. There was also some more mysterious live steam items in Santa Rosa; another SP-based Atlantic owned by a man named Butler, as well as at some point a tiny live steam locomotive in operation (10" gauge?) at Idora Park in Oakland, long-gone.

Also, I tried to get in touch with you off-list awhile ago about the Overfair/Mt. Lion Railway stuff. I hope it came through alright.

Regards,
Ed Kelley

Date: 01/23/05 19:35
Re: BIG Basement Live Steam
Author: OnTrackEd

More in the Bennett Basement...this time the Cagney (or Herschell-Spillman?). This locomotive passed through Don Callender and was acquired with the 5212 from Jay Neracker's estate. The 5212 was sold to Stanley Frank/Sonoma Traintown, and this locomotive went elsewhere.

Date: 01/25/05 10:50
Re: BIG Basement Live Steam

Ed-- Gordon Bennett lived at 2500-99th Ave in Oakland, above MacArthur Blvd. His wife VY owned Hudson Printers in East Oakland, near 5th Avenue. She had an immense DOLL collection..
Gordon had thousands of trains ranging from O-scale up thru 3" scale or so.. I've been in his house and his large workshop where all this stuff was on display..
He bought the beautiful models from the estate of Fred Daily in Alameda.. He bought the 3/4" Hudson and other stuff from the late Tim Reardon, GGLS VP and foreman of the Redwood Park project..
When someone died, Gordon was sure to buy their estate, if offered..
He owned a retreat at the Antioch bridge area with a nice home and a small cannon that he fired off near the Antioch Bridge for visitors, on occasion..
For the record, Gordon was a retired Oakland Motorcycle Cop.. He was one of the original officers that led the cortege across the San Francisco--Oakland Bay Bridge when it opened in 1936..
And now you know the rest of the story.. Where all the thousands of trains went to is anyone's guess..

KRK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0914 seconds