Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Model Railroading > TMCC vs Digital?

Date: 02/12/05 02:30
TMCC vs Digital?
Author: railroad

Could someone please describe for me what is needed for use with TMCC in a two rail application. Seems it`s rather new as my dealer is confused on the subject as well.
Thanks in advance... railroad

Date: 02/12/05 07:46
Re: TMCC vs Digital?
Author: ctxm

Hi RR, TMCC/railsounds works with two rail just like 3 rail. You can power it with an AC transformer or with a DC power supply plus a converter to change the DC to AC. Unless you already have a big DC power supply it is cheaper to use AC since the converter costs as much as a good AC transformer. You will also need a lionel TMCC command unit and a cab 1 remote. The command and cab 1 cost about $125 list and a 180 watt lionel transformer lists for about $90. If you have a large layout you might also need a signal enhancer from TAS that costs about $30 or so, I've got one but found it isn't necessary for my small 9.5 by 16 foot layout so I'd try it without it first. TMCC is simple to hook up and use, no programming needed, it takes 5 minutes to hook it up and be running trains. The control is very positive and not affected by dirty track like DCC. THe railsounds sound fantastic. It is a very user friendy system, the only problem is there is only one real two rail diesel loco commonly available with TMCC installed, it is the Atlas SW8-9 switcher, all the other mass produced diesels are three rail drives with 2 rail wheels installed so they don't run up to accepted standards. The TMCC/railsounds parts are too big to fit in normal two rail locos so if you want nice running scale diesels you have a problem. I don't know anything about the performance of available TMCC steam locos though it might be better......dave

Date: 02/12/05 14:31
Re: TMCC vs Digital?
Author: AK

Hi there,

Check out the Forums over at www.ogaugerr.com They have a Forum for TMCC in there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds