Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Model Railroading > lionel Challenger

Date: 02/13/05 14:53
lionel Challenger
Author: railvidpro

I just picked up a lionel challenger and while it looks great and the sound system is dynamite i'm extremely disappointed that it will only pull 8 40" NMRA weighted freight cars up a 2% grade.
It has plenty of power but seems extremely slippery
unbelivable that all those drivers and the engine weight and it slips it drivers with a 30 oz. train
any and allcomments will be appreciated
thanks
Lou
NYSME

Date: 02/13/05 16:14
Re: lionel Challenger
Author: UP50

I had the same problem with my Challenger. I had email contact with Lionel concerning the problem. They advised me to take the weight out of the tender. I did this and it helped the pulling power quite a bit. If you do take the weight out be sure to watch the way the axles on the tender come out to put them back in the same way.

DM

Date: 02/14/05 06:22
Author: Zablocki

You could substitute any modern UP power like, SD40-2's, SD50's,SD60's...etc...

Vincent

Date: 02/14/05 08:53
Author: BlackWidow

My Lionel Challenger has trouble on 24 inch radius curves. Not just a small derailment, but it really goes off the track badly. Anyone else have problems with a radius this size, and does anyone have a solution?

Date: 02/14/05 20:10
Author: BarstowRick

You said 24" radius curve that would be a 48" from center to center of track. If memory serves me correctly Lionel, measures a curve from center of track, to center of track. What you described is typcially wider then you find on most Lionel type layouts. However, for the locomotive you described it appears that it is to tight? You may find written directions that accompanied the locomotive that states what radius to avoid.

I built an O gauge layout for a friend of mine. The layout has a minimum 54" curve (center to center of track) The largest curve was a 62" curve. These larger curves looked good and improved the operation of the trains significantly. Push those curves out to a larger radius and you will be amazed at the difference.

Atlas, makes sectional "O" gauge track and switches. You might want to check-out the options.

Hopeing this helps you!
RickH

Date: 02/15/05 05:07
Author: EasternSP

If you are using flex track, you should be able to build a transition into the curve which will make it a little easier for the longer locomotives to negotiate. Basically, the transition should be longer than the locomotive for it to work.

Date: 02/15/05 07:53
Author: cbss

I have the Lionel O gauge version and I pull over 100 ore car with it. (The longest train I have had is 140 ore cars) I love this engine and have been thinking of getting the ho versions of these

Chuck

Date: 02/15/05 10:07
Author: BlackWidow

I have an HO, not O, layout with one 24" curve. The others are broader. I have considered building an easement into the curve, but have not yet done so. I was wondering if anyone had made any modifications to the Challenger itself to get around tight curves.

Date: 02/17/05 22:46
Author: railvidpro

I see some responces regarding the "O" scale challenger the one that I got is the HO version
I haven't had a chance to work on it yet but removing the weight from the tender is a good starting point
thanks to all that replied
Lou
NYSME

Date: 02/18/05 10:57
Author: BarstowRick

railvidpro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see some responces regarding the "O" scale
> challenger the one that I got is the HO version
> I haven't had a chance to work on it yet but
> removing the weight from the tender is a good
> starting point
> thanks to all that replied
> Lou
> NYSME

RickH Responding:

It pays to indicate what gauge you are operating in when you first present the question. As the answer can be directed to the imediate problem. Had I of known I would have scratched my head wondering what the heck. Shouldn't be anything wrong the radius. The only thing I can think of besides something broken is you may have some packing material stuck in the articulated feature of the engine.

Sorry meant to help. I was sure since you said Lionel it was the O gauge type.

Have fun!!

RickH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0517 seconds