Home Open Account Help 170 users online

Model Railroading > Hiding a wye

Date: 09/13/05 08:33
Hiding a wye
Author: VunderBob

I've been mulling over a new track plan, and I have an aesthetic problem, with a possible solution I want to run by the graybeards here. The original plan is a basic 12X12 around the walls oval, operated as a switching layout. In one corner is a staging yard, connected by a single lead.

My concept is mythical branch line off the old Southern main that crosses southern Indiana, and has a connection to another railroad at the far end, sort of like the Southern and Monon had in French Lick. There is no intent of recreating that track arrangement, however.

In my version, the layout is still meant for switching, but I'd like to have my shifter to have to dodge a thru train of some type, which means the 2nd train has to get back to the staging yard, hence the need for a wye. Operationally, I don't want the wye to exist, hence the aesthetic problem.

The idea I had was to add a dummy track representing the connection, and making one leg of the wye the connection to the foreign road, and the other the off layout connection to the main. The third leg, which crosses the dummy line, is by legend an out of service extension, but in real life is my continuous run. Some kind of viewblock is immediately behind the dummy track, and the 3rd leg goes through it.

I haven't sized the staging yard yet, but I'm assuming 6 tracks that will hold 8 50' cars and 1 engine, all configured so any train can take either lead.

Opinions?

Date: 09/13/05 09:20
Re: Hiding a wye
Author: mirage

I like the idea of giving your switcher a through train to worry about, and of disguising the wye, but I'm having trouble visualizing the arrangement you've described. Any chance you could give us a rough sketch of this corner of the layout?

Date: 09/13/05 09:42
Author: Mountain3106ATSF

I like your plan.

I know of a prototypical arrangement similar to what you described. In Ohio just South of Kettering, perhaps West Carrolton or Miamisburg (memory is lapsing). The Pennsylvania Railroad used to cross over the New York Central's tracks at a crossing or diamond.

Historical note: The New York Central line became the ConRail and today is the Norfolk Southern. The tracks of the Pennsylvania remained in place for sometime with a signal still activated in the red mode. At some point Pennsylvania decided to abandon the line to the east of the junction and it was dismantled along with the diamond. West of the junction a steel fabrication plant needed rail access and purchased the tracks. To connect with the old NYC/Conrail the tracks now veer to the south to a switch, connecting with the present line. It looks like a wye but isn't. Last time I was there you could make out the roadbed and the signal was still activated.

The only thing is if you hide the wye, as in a tunnel and you need to perform maintenance. That could prove to be difficult. My two cents.

Have fun and enjoy your hobby.

RickH

Date: 09/13/05 11:51
Author: TCnR

OK, I'm confused. There was an interesting presentation in one of the Kalmbach Layout Planning guides a couple of issues back were the idea was to model a double track diamond complex and still a maintain a no duck-under aisle. Might give you some ideas, thought it was an interesting discussion in developing the plan, also in problem solving and developing the scenery.

Date: 09/13/05 15:37

Here is the track arrangement I have in mind, just to clear up any confusion. Next post will be a link to the layout I'm obsessing on at the moment...

Date: 09/13/05 15:42

Here is the track plan I'm thinking of stealing shameessly. http://members.aol.com/PWhiteMR/guest.html

The wye goes in the upper right corner of the room, above Ellison, where his staging yard connects. At the moment, I don't have the space to build the whole thing, but I am considering starting part of it as a shelf layout, probably the Ellison side.

Date: 09/13/05 16:33

Well, I don't have a beard but I'll offer my two cents. Adding a wye will reduce the yard tracks, unless the yard tracks are curved towards 'Ellison', (which may work out but changes the design substantially) or you have room for the yard further along a wall. Depends on access or where you can put an aisle.
The basics of the wye and the branch are great, the problem is hiding the two tunnel portals. An easy method would be a road bridge, maybe weaving one of the tracks between the supports, or maybe not.
Another idea would be to seperate the new track and the existing curve from Ellison such that the existing curve moves closer to the wall, then curves to the left and crosses the new track entering the yard. Another way to say it is the new track from Ellison into the yard would seperate and weave to the left and then turn right to cross the existing curve. This moves the switch closer to Ellison. Still have the double tunnel portal problem but that would give you the function and also keep everything closer to the wall. The early split, backwards curves and crossing would make it less identifiable as a wye, the crossing might be on a radius which may be a problem but also may allow some creative trackwork. There's a name for that kind of wye, but I forget what it is. Shelf layouts and switching layouts are fun, let us know how it works out.

Interesting webpage, thought the switches and curves might be a bit tight, the photos show it works.

Date: 09/15/05 10:10

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I don't have a beard but I'll offer my two
> cents.

Something suspicious going on here. "Beard"? Now who was that directed toward? Someone that has a beard. Maybe plays Santa at Christmas time? I wonder.

Beards, bald, long hair, mustaches are "IN". Here, in California pretty much anything goes if you are retired and don't have to work for a stiff shirted, jockey shorted, hair greasing, suited, white shirt and tie, pro-conservative boss. >:')

I enjoyed your take on the subject. The idea of hiding a wye as opposed to center stage, is a novel idea. Making one end of it look like a formerly used but now abandoned track has potential. Hiding those portals...ummm...maybe not. I appreciated the ideas shared here and would love to see the finished product.

I am currently working (as able) on an N gauge layout. I've been sitting, on the idea of a wye but didn't like the idea of having to hide one leg of it, in a mountain. Now, I have seen the light.

RickH The bearded one. >:-)<

Date: 09/15/05 11:53
Re: Hiding a grey beard

... mulling over a new track plan, and I
> have an aesthetic problem, with a possible
> solution I want to run by the graybeards here.

Been told I qualify as a grey beard, just don't have one. Seems to be a Navy term for old fart, somebody who's been around, maybe too long.

Date: 09/15/05 12:55
Re: Hiding a grey beard

TCnR and all tuned in,

GP30 would agree with you on the flatulating "Old Fart" thing.
Nice to know we can tease. Too funny.

RickH Gas X to the rescue.

Have fun and enjoy your hobby!

Date: 09/15/05 14:16
Author: jdb

Mountain3106ATSF Wrote:
> I am currently working (as able) on an N gauge
> layout. I've been sitting, on the idea of a wye
> but didn't like the idea of having to hide one leg
> of it, in a mountain. Now, I have seen the light.

I can think of a prototype. At Cascade Summit, between Eugene and Klamath Falls, Oregon, the SP had a "Y" with the tail track into the mountain. This is where helpers were removed from west bound trains, turned, and sent back down the hill to Oakridge. There are stories about how once in a while an engineer would try to "extend" the length of the tunnel.

Would some kind of a building with an enclosed track for loading work in this situation? Instead of just switching a couple of cars onto a spur inside the building, have the track continue on out the back where it can't be seen. Walthers has several kits where a track goes inside the building.

jb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0857 seconds