Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Passenger Trains > No Boom - Penn Coach Yard Steam Plant and Chimney

Date: 11/08/09 17:46
No Boom - Penn Coach Yard Steam Plant and Chimney
Author: Mgoldman

Apparently the pending demolition of the 70 year old PRR steam plant and "the Shaft" chimney
did not occur as expected today near 30th Street Station. This may be officially scheduled
at a later date, perhaps as early as 7:30 AM next week (Sunday the 15th) - or not.

Could it be last minute appeals are holding it up? Or possibly, the reported date (today)
was never officially confirmed.

The building was built a year before 30th Street Station in Philadelphia to supply power to
the area buildings owned by the railroad, if I have my facts 100%. It is one of the few(er)
remaining examples of Philadelphia's railroad history and proof that the city was more then
a service sector full of offices and Walmarts. I believe there were /are efforts to convert
the building into an alternative use but considering it's location to one of Amtrak's busiest
stations and between the tracks of it's yards, the prognosis is not looking good.

/Mitch

Date: 11/09/09 16:04
Re: No Boom - Penn Coach Yard Steam Plant and Chimney
Author: MW4man

The date was never official just a target. The demolition of the yard services building has to be completed first, as well as the boiler plant. I think the contractor has this next Sunday (15) penciled in as the official date.

Date: 11/09/09 17:13
Author: prr60

MW4man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The date was never official just a target. The
> demolition of the yard services building has to be
> completed first, as well as the boiler plant. I
> think the contractor has this next Sunday (15)
> penciled in as the official date.

Next Sunday (11/15) at 7:45am is the latest time, but it is definately a pencil entry on the calendar.

Date: 11/13/09 05:13
Author: prr60

Update: the Penn Coach Yard (Philadelphia) steam plant chimney is scheduled for implosion on Sunday, November 15 at 7:45am, weather permitting.

Date: 11/13/09 07:13
Author: ChS7-321

For me, as a Drexel University alum, (2004) it'll be kinda sad to see this thing go.

Now, the origins for the term "The Drexel Shaft" (an experience familiar to an overwhelming majority of Drexel students) will be harder to explain.

Date: 11/13/09 17:57
Author: MW4man

Also being a Drexel Alum (DIT) I can attest that the origins of the Drexel Shaft was the statue on the Quad called the "Flame of Knowledge".

Date: 11/13/09 18:34
Author: stone23

Hmm??

I'll have to check with my son who is twice a Drexel grad. (BA and MBA)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds