Home Open Account Help 141 users online

Passenger Trains > Schmidt to head Amtrak transportation

Date: 04/07/06 14:32
Schmidt to head Amtrak transportation
Author: galenadiv

Tom Schmidt, who spent 35 years in railroading, mostly with CSXT and most recently as vice president engineering, has been named assistant vice president transportation at Amtrak. You can find the press release at the Amtrak Website.

Date: 04/07/06 14:52
Re: Schmidt to head Amtrak transportation
Author: ProAmtrak

At least they got a railroader running that, I just hope he does a good job!

Date: 04/07/06 14:52
Author: hesdjjim

A CSX guy... hmmm...

Date: 04/07/06 16:33
Author: lurchdel

TransLoad was formed in 2002 to own and operate businesses associated with the rail-based transportation, loading and disposal of waste material, including, but not limited to, municipal solid waste (" MSW ") and construction and demolition debris ("C&D").
The Company's strategy is to satisfy and exploit an increasing need for economical long-haul transportation and disposal of solid waste, initially from the large urban centers in the northeast where capacity is becoming increasingly limited, to disposal facilities in the Midwest and Southeast where disposal capacity is more abundant and lower-priced.
TransLoad's Management Team has a combined experience in the waste and rail industries of over 100 years. The Company's leadership has previously been principally involved in the leadership of substantial public companies in both industries, and TransLoad believes it is uniquely positioned in the waste-by-rail market.

Please click here for Management Team's profiles.
http://www.transloadamerica.net/sub.php?p_id=2

Tom Schmidt
Senior Engineering Advisor

Tom Schmidt is a career railroader with nearly 35 years of experience in the operating and executive departments of US freight railroads. Mr. Schmidt has been the top engineering officer for 3 US railroads, including 8 years as Vice President Engineering for the 23,000 mile CSX Transportation system in Jacksonville , FL , from which he retired in December, 2003. Mr. Schmidt's extensive experience in railroad operations and management include physical plant maintenance and construction, transportation network design and operation, capital and strategic planning, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory and litigation issues, labor negotiations, and development and application of new technology and methods. An industry leader in development and deployment of new technologies and methods including wireless positive train control, Mr. Schmidt is currently serving his 2nd term on the Transportation Research Board Committee for Review of Federal Railroad Administration Research. A respected leader in American Railroad Engineering and Maintenance Association (AREMA), he is currently serving on the Board of Governors. Mr. Schmidt is a strong advocate for railroad safety and for the vital economic role railroads play in the US Economy.

Date: 04/07/06 18:14
Author: AlwaysLate

hesdjjim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A CSX guy... hmmm...

Yeah, no kidding. We all know how chummy Snow and W are...

Date: 04/08/06 06:55
Author: ffrailey

I've known Tom Schmidt for years. Tom took a buyout from CSX a couple of years ago to experience new adventures. He is a top-drawer railroader who combines engineering know-how with a passion for railroad history and a love of flanged wheels on steel rails. Amtrak is lucky to have him.

Fred

Date: 04/08/06 13:24
Author: lurchdel

Enjoy your well-earned and certainly deserved retirement from railroading, Mr. Schmidt.

Date: 04/08/06 18:09
Author: palmland

Tom was one of the 'good guys' at CSX and was well regarded by all. Pretty creative, knowledgeable, in additon to being something of a closet railfan and I believe a model railroader too.

Date: 04/09/06 14:19
Author: rresor

Tom Schmidt is one of the best senior managers remaining in the U.S. railroad industry. I first got to know him when I spent a summer as an intern on the Rock Island in 1976. Tom was working for John Ingram, helping to reorganize and reduce headcount. Later he became the Rock's Chief Engineer. He has a law degree as well as an engineering degree.

He was more or less forced out of CSX, which seemed a shame at the time. I'm glad to know he'll still be working in the industry.

Date: 04/09/06 22:20
Author: ProAmtrak

Well I wish him luck, I mean what he has to deal with day in and day out is gonna be a challenge for him, hope he does a great job and get rid of the bad apples that cause delays to trains leaving terminals and making sure the trains are ready to go before they back out of the coach yards!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds