Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Passenger Trains > Overhauled P32-8 #507 released?

Date: 06/23/06 14:18
Overhauled P32-8 #507 released?
Author: geoff_s

There are indications that #507, the first of the P32-8 overhauls, has been released from Beech Grove and went to Chicago on 317(23).
Any sightings of this and its' possible new paint?

Geoff

Date: 06/23/06 21:50
Re: Overhauled P32-8 #507 released?
Author: stanhunter

Here it is...

Date: 06/23/06 21:57
Author: railcity

Looks Great.

Date: 06/23/06 22:20
Author: Amtrak288

That paint scheme actually looks quite respectable on those units!

Date: 06/23/06 22:24
Author: lucky1029

WOW. That unit looks GREAT!!! I would love to see this unit on the point of a LD train.

Date: 06/23/06 23:01
Author: CSX_Nick

What ever happened to the sceme having silver in it? All I see is white and a little grey towards the bottom. This is just my opinon, but I don't think it looks all that great. (Just my opinon)

Date: 06/23/06 23:47
Author: Red

I think that is silver--and that's the way the light is hitting it? I may be wrong--but this is how it appears to me. It is so much cleaner than the silver on the grungy Phase IV P32-8 behind it that it almost appears white.

Now--this is Phase V, correct? Or, would this be Phase Vb?

At any rate--I hated it when they took away the "PEPSI CAN" Scheme from these units (a paint scheme which won a prestigious design award--and just looked great and blended in with units in Phase III or Phase IV paint well).

However--this is most definitely a great improvement over the Phase IV Scheme displayed on the P32-8 to the rear of the 507. In my humble opinion, Phase IV made them look like freight units, and, very drab, plain freight units at that. This makes them look more like passenger units again...

Date: 06/24/06 07:13
Author: stanhunter

Yes, the carbody's silver with blue top and grey underframe...

Date: 06/24/06 08:04
Author: F40PHR231

Wow, it actually turned out better than I thought it would look... Red, it would be Phase Vb because it does not have the blue&red stripe at the bottom, just the red (think the last Phase Va repaint was two years ago, it's been discontinued.)

Better get those diet-pepsi cans fast! What's this now, the "Crystal Pepsi Can"?

Date: 06/24/06 08:34
Author: Amtrak288

I wonder if they put a layer of clearcoat over the paint on locomotives like they do on cars??? You know, a 55 gallon drum of Turtle Wax or Meguiar's Tech Wax could really shine that baby up!!!

Date: 06/24/06 12:38
Author: csx5000

that thing looks really sweet.
railfan1 out

Date: 06/25/06 06:25
Author: Red

Amtrak288 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if they put a layer of clearcoat over the
> paint on locomotives like they do on cars??? You
> know, a 55 gallon drum of Turtle Wax or Meguiar's
> Tech Wax could really shine that baby up!!!

Yes--they do put at least one coat of clearcoat on the locomotives. Some railroads specify TWO coats of clearcoat. I think this might have been the case with the UPRR's SD70Ms, and certainly with the SD70ACes, which have a much deeper "gloss" to them than the SD60Ms had, even when they were brand new (the SD60Ms got but one coat of clarcoat, and, a weak coat at that--those units have peeled off clearcoat within two to three years, and of course, in those spots, the UP Armour yellow quicly oxidized, making them very ratty-looking in too short of a time period).

The earliest original 2000-model SD70Ms--I've had some out of their 90 day FRA inspections, in which they'd been throuroughly cleaned, and those early 4000-Class Units--they clean up very nicely--I was impressed. The clearcoat on these 6-year old units (hard to believe they are this old now) still had a deep sheen and gloos in it after the thorough cleaning they got. The SD70ACes truly sparkle, however, even compared to brand new SD70Ms that I had when they were brand new--this leads me to believe that the SD70Ms got one coat of a really high-quality clear coat, while perhaps the SD70ACes got two coats.

The ES44AC GEVOs look great, and also clean up nicely. They have a nice sheen to them, too. But, they quite simply do not have that DEEP lustre that the UPRR's SD70ACes have.

As for waxing them--the only units that get waxed are the Executive E9s and the Centennial. Those units lead very easy lives--they are run enough to keep them "loosened up", but, spend at least 90 percent of their time in climate controlled indoor storage at Cheyenne, WY.

Another example of truly well-painted units? I noce viewed a board with many phots of the beautiful Juanita Terminal E8s. They got extensive carbody work, then a good coat of primer which sat and dried for about a week. Then, they got no less than THREE coats of Pennsy Tuscan Red, with lenghty drying intervals between each coat. Then, to top that off, they got TWO coats of clarcoat. Then, after all that cured, a wax job.

I suspect this has a lot to do with the fact that you can literally see your reflection in the nose of the Pennsy E8s.

Date: 06/25/06 12:25
Author: rugbytown

Fantastic. Love it. The dark blue could've done with coming down the front in a point like the Amtrak California Dash 8's though.

Date: 06/25/06 13:34
Author: lucky1029

Anybody know where this unit will be heading and on what train#?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds