Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Passenger Trains > Today's CZ at SLC is the "Star-LATE"

Date: 07/22/06 11:48
Today's CZ at SLC is the "Star-LATE"
Author: GrandeGold

This mornings Amtrak #6 arrived at Salt Lake City about five hours late. What was the delay?

James

Date: 07/22/06 12:48
Re: Today's CZ at SLC is the "Star-LATE"
Author: lowwater

No. 6 is now shown as running 6:27 late. No. 5 is also 5:26 late, unusual for it at least until it hits Nevada. It was 5:20 late into Denver, so we can't this one on UP. What's the problem out there?

lowwater

Date: 07/22/06 13:13
Author: espeeboy

well, with UP giving out severe heat restriction slow orders out West and in it being 100-110 in portions of the Bay Area, I can only imagine the 110-120 degree temperatures out on the Overland Route! Heat restrictions over an entire subdivision can severly kill an Amtrak long distance train...

Date: 07/22/06 13:51
Author: dl-w1955

I am wondering if any of the "old timers" remember such "heat restrictions" back in the days of jointed rail. Sometimes I think welded rail is not really an "improvement".

Date: 07/22/06 15:35
Author: ProAmtrak

Good point, big example on extrme heat would be the Santa Fe and the Southern Pacific down in Califronia!

Date: 07/23/06 10:24
Author: lowwater

Doesn't explain what happened to No. 5. The high in Chicago yesterday was 83°, same at Ottumwa, so there shouldn't have been heat restrictions anywhere between CHI and DEN.

No. 6/22 is running 7:06 late. No. 5/21 5:58 late, No. 6/21 6:21. No. 5/22 is essentially on-time.

lowwater

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well, with UP giving out severe heat restriction
> slow orders out West and in it being 100-110 in
> portions of the Bay Area, I can only imagine the
> 110-120 degree temperatures out on the Overland
> Route! Heat restricdtions over an entire
> subdivision can severly kill an Amtrak long
> distance train...

Date: 07/24/06 07:23
Author: bnsfbuff

I was on the #6/22, arriving in Denver at 1:15am. I was told by the conductor that a truck hit a UP train in Montana, causing the EB delay. We passed the #5/22 in Dotsero, also running about seven hours late.

John Parker
www.bnsfrr.net

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.086 seconds