Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Passenger Trains > Metrolink 312

Date: 10/04/06 17:35
Metrolink 312
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

I was watching the ABC news , Channel 7 in Los Angeles, the news helicopter had aerial footage of train 312 on the San Bernardino Fwy came uncoupled between the second and third car. The train was coupled back together and continued to the EL Monte Station where it is sitting awaiting another train to pick up the wayward passengers. The train needs to go under a mechanical inspection.

Date: 10/04/06 18:12
Re: Metrolink 312
Author: JimM

I was on the 10 freeway heading to El Monte station to take the 316 after this happened and saw a couple helicopters hovering ahead, and then saw the stalled train. I was supposed to take the 316 out of El Monte, but of course it got delayed. Got to El Monte station, and at around 4:30 the 312 limped into El Monte (apparently the coupler got fixed) and everyone unboarded. Those poor folks had been sitting on a packed train with no air for quite a while. Rumour was that they had run over something, the lights and air went off, and "suddenly the car ahead of us just split".

While waiting for the next train I got an opportunity to do some railfanning and saw two separate westbound UP intermodal trains barreling thru the station. Cool. Anyway, the CH 7 helicopter hovered over the station for at least 1/2 hour watching the huge crowd of people wait for a train. Must be a slow news day...

Finally the 314 pulled up with only 3 cars, and everyone packed on like the Tokyo subway. Conductor said there was a 6 car train only a minute behind (the 316). Uh, yeah, I think I'll take this one...

I'd be interested to find out what happened. I'm a newbie to this train stuff, so I'm not sure how those couplers work, and what could have caused them to uncouple.

My best guess: Metrolink needs to retrofit all cars with Kadee couplers :D

Date: 10/04/06 18:23
Author: priorrights

If this had happened anywhere other than in the middle of I-10, it wouldn't have been newsworthy. Train separations are not uncommon, although passenger train separarions are not an everyday occurence. Like I said, if it had happened in Covina or going up San Dimas grade I doubt you would have seen any helicopters.

Date: 10/04/06 20:41
Author: mundo

You should have waited for the 316 or even 318.
314 with 3 cars is already full, without having to take 312 also.

312 Q, deadheaded to Taylor shops for inspection.
train 804 Q from Orange County became train 331 at San Bernardino, going to Los Angeles.

I bet the coupler pins did not drop completely.

Date: 10/04/06 20:46
Author: puckeringswine

Have not heard the cause yet, but striking debris from the freeway is fairly common on this section. I was aboard once when we hit a large semi truck tire with a rim and it did a lot of damage.

Date: 10/04/06 21:15
Author: JimM

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should have waited for the 316 or even 318.
> 314 with 3 cars is already full, without having to
> take 312 also.

Yeah, you're right. I always try to avoid the 314 if I can. It's always standing room only. I've never figured out why they can't add another car to that train. I'm sure they've had complaints for years about it.

But anyway, after 14 years of riding the Metrolink, I've learned that a train at your platform is worth two on the way.

(Hey, I just made that up...not bad :D )

So I just hopped aboard and stood all the way to Upland. My buddy waited, so I'll have to check with him tomorrow to see how he did.

Date: 10/05/06 09:34
Author: parts545

I can hear the lawyers now!
Oh my gosh!!!
Pulling trains is unsafe!!!
They can break in two!!!
Pushing trains is much much safer!!!
All passenger trains must be pushed from now on!!!

Date: 10/05/06 10:45
Author: ken15

Hi Everyone:

From CBS.

I didn't see this until today.

FYI.

ken15

Oct 4, 2006 7:50 pm US/Pacific

Engine Gets Unlinked From Metrolink Train
(CBS) EL MONTE, Calif. Metrolink Train 312 from Union Station was due to be more than an hour late to San Bernardino Wednesday because it became unhooked in the Alhambra area, authorities said.

Technical crews discovered that the cars separated because "the train struck debris that apparently hit a pin and uncoupled the car," Metrolink's Denise Tyrell said.

"It's extremely rare," Tyrell said. "I've never known it to happen in the five years I've been here. We don't know yet what the debris was -- it could have been a shopping cart."

The train was put back together at Rosemead Boulevard in Alhambra where it became disjointed and was slowly taken into the El Monte station.

"There were no injuries, everything is fine," Tyrell said. "The passengers were moved to a new train."

The train involved was taken out of service. Passengers aboard that train were put on another train and will be more than an hour late, and other trains along the same route later might suffer half-hour delays, Tyrell said.

Train 312 becomes Train 329 that normally leaves San Bernardino at 5 p.m. and arrives at Union Station at 7:40 p.m. Because Train 312 never made it to San Bernardino, buses will run along the same route, Tyrell said.

Date: 10/05/06 18:03
Author: cs16

parts545 Wrote:
> I can hear the lawyers now!
> Oh my gosh!!!
> Pulling trains is unsafe!!!
> They can break in two!!!
> Pushing trains is much much safer!!!
> All passenger trains must be pushed from now on!!!

Well actually, put the engine in the middle, that way you cancel out unsafe pushing, pulling altogether.

Date: 10/05/06 20:05
Author: PSurfliner

cs16 Wrote:
> Well actually, put the engine in the middle, that
> way you cancel out unsafe pushing, pulling
> altogether.

Erm...... wouldn't that mean every train would be guilty of pushing and pulling?

Date: 10/06/06 21:53
Author: cs16

PSurfliner Wrote:
>
> Erm...... wouldn't that mean every train would be
> guilty of pushing and pulling?

It would keep the naysayers busy for years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0694 seconds