Home Open Account Help 164 users online

Passenger Trains > More Acela's in November

Date: 10/05/06 07:36
More Acela's in November
Author: floridajoe2001

In checking Amtrak schedules for November on their website, I discovered the following:

1. An additional Acela round trip has been added (restored?)between NY and Boston. The new train (#2190) leaves NY at 6:20am. The new train (#2173) leaves Boston at 4:30 pm.

2. As expected, the Metroliner run between NY-WAS has been replaced with an Acela run.

This makes Acela fans like me very happy.

Date: 10/05/06 08:10
Re: More Acela's in November
Author: DavidP

Good news Joe! Amtrak has been underserving the NYP to BOS day trip market recently, with the first trip not due into Boston until 11:30 and only one return after 3:15pm. I use 2175 - the 5:20 departure - fairly regularly and have found it pretty crowded. Personally, I would get more use from a restoration of the 6:45pm westbound departure, but this is a step in the right direction.

Dave

Date: 10/05/06 09:19
Author: cutboy2

They have a 4 hour $75 bus to compete with.

Date: 10/05/06 18:28
Author: ChS7-321

cutboy2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have a 4 hour $75 bus to compete with.

Hardly....Acela is a businessman's(-woman's) train, and businessmen don't take intercity buses.... ;)

It's the Regional service that the bus is the competitor for, and even then. The train is so much more comfortable....

Date: 10/05/06 21:28
Acela Express
Author: jp1822

This is a restoration - not necessarily new service. There were a few Acela Express frequencies that went off the schedules, and hopefully they will return!

Date: 10/05/06 22:04
Author: hasbt77fst

ChS7-321 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cutboy2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They have a 4 hour $75 bus to compete with.
>
> Hardly....Acela is a businessman's(-woman's)
> train, and businessmen don't take intercity
> buses.... ;)
>
> It's the Regional service that the bus is the
> competitor for, and even then. The train is so
> much more comfortable....

Let me play Devil's advocate here: see http://www.limoliner.com/ - I rode it once. Not all that comfortable a ride, really - it's still a bus - but otherwise worthy competition. I also just checked their website: for today's (Friday, October 6, 2006) departures, three of five Boston to New York buses are sold out. It's $71 each way. Internet access, satellite TV, an attendant, and snacks and sodas are included! And they didn't take I-95, either!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds