Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Passenger Trains > A late afternoon Sunset

Date: 01/17/07 22:24
A late afternoon Sunset
Author: TopcoatSmith

Passing Hinda (San Timoteo canyon, CA, former SP ) 2:16pm

Hey Crash, if you were running when you past there, the rig coming down the canyon perpendicular to y'all, behind the golf course with all it's lights on was me in my "office".

TCS - late trains getting colder

Date: 01/18/07 12:13
Re: A late afternoon Sunset
Author: Crashela

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Passing Hinda (San Timoteo canyon, CA, former SP )
> 2:16pm
>
> Hey Crash, if you were running when you past
> there, the rig coming down the canyon
> perpendicular to y'all, behind the golf course
> with all it's lights on was me in my "office".
>
>
> TCS - late trains getting colder

Apparently I need to keep better track of those "suspicious vehicles" in and near the right-of-way... including those vehicles with obvious malicious intent ... why they even have appendages for moving large objects!

So now that the "Christmas Break" is over, you can re-start the #1 pool... you know, "what time will #1 actually arrive into LAX."

Local management seems content to believe that the last two-month trend will continue into this year. I'm predicting a big fat zero OTP for February. But what would I know, I've only worked the route for the last four years.

Crashela
PS: The biologists were out between Thermal and Niland yesterday.

Date: 01/18/07 14:19
Author: SP7615

I had heard a rumor several months back that the schedule of the Sunset was going to change.

Will this maybe become a " fact " with the April timetable changes

SP7615

Date: 01/18/07 16:56

The biologists know better than to get near us ...Mwahahahaha (sinister laugh), I'll bright ya everytime I see you if I'm facing that way (we move around in them side canyons a lot), unless it's after 3:30. Hope you get in sometime close to the advertised.

TCS - ludicrous intent

Date: 01/18/07 17:53

SP7615 Wrote:
> I had heard a rumor several months back that the
> schedule of the Sunset was going to change.
>
> Will this maybe become a " fact " with the April
> timetable changes
>
> SP7615

This "rumor" is actually linked to an in-company proposal. The latest form of this proposal is to leave Los Angeles at 5:00pm, run east via the UP's Los Angeles Sub (same as Metrolink Riverside service) and connect to the former SP at Colton via the Riverside Connector. The westbound schedule was to remain unaffected, with operations via either the Los Angeles Sub or Alhambra Sub, depending on the traffic forecast as the train arrives in the Colton vicinity. The latest plan nixes Ontario and does not add any stops in its place, previous plans included a Riverside stop, but the need to hold the Alhambra sub as an alternate route outweighs any benefits to the new stop.

This is one of those plans that will probably be kicked up and down the block a few more times before it ever reaches the implementation stage, if ever.

Metrolink has yet to agree on a 5pm departure slot at the depot. They also have not agreed to allow the train to operate via the east bank to reach the UP - which pretty much kills the proposal. I can see that their fear is justified as Amtrak occasionally cannot get train #2 out of the yard on time. A late yard departure would put a real kink in the plan seeing how 5pm is dead center in the peak rush hour for Metrolink at the depot. Metrolink is also concerned that the additional train would impact its operations over the UP LA sub - something they do not control, but are having enough problems with already.

Amtrak is also divided between those that think this plan will have a positive impact and those that think it will not improve timekeeping at all. I tend to be on the "not improve" side; there is often a backup of traffic on the UP attempting to get onto the BNSF, and this train would need a "clear shot" from the UP to the old SP. Best of luck. Losing Ontario would be a negative, as the stop generates quite a bit more traffic than Pomona.

Then again, the appearance of the biologists are a sign of things to come, things that will impact the Sunset Limited's timekeeping in a decidedly negative manner in the future months and possibly years.

Crashela

Date: 01/18/07 18:25
Author: SP7615

Really what Amtrak should do is to have # 2 depart Los Angeles at 8pm which I think is after Metrolinks rush hour.

SP7615

Date: 01/19/07 21:35

Depends whose side the biologists are on ... (Ladera Ranch)

X-man (can't use his real name here) was just force assigned to the system steel gang between Beaumont and Indio for at least a year, maybe longer.

TCS - feet first into the next phase, #1 late and no bag car

Date: 01/19/07 23:51

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
> Depends whose side the biologists are on ...
> (Ladera Ranch)

They were contracted by the Big Yellow Company.

> X-man (can't use his real name here) was just
> force assigned to the system steel gang between
> Beaumont and Indio for at least a year, maybe
> longer.

I suppose this means more steel shall appear for the parking of trains.

Crashela

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0632 seconds