Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Passenger Trains > Turning The Ocean

Date: 05/27/07 05:14
Turning The Ocean
Author: ghCBNS

After VIA’s Ocean has unloaded at the Halifax Passenger Station it is backed out and run around the balloon track at the adjacent HalTerm Container Terminal. It’s then backed down into the station now properly positioned to return to Montreal the next afternoon.

(If the track at the Container Terminal is not available, the Ocean has been backed all the way out to Windsor Junction (15 miles) where it can be turned on a wye at the junction with the former Dominion Atlantic Railway (now the Windsor & Hantsport)

Date: 05/27/07 05:15
Re: Turning The Ocean

Photos continue:

Date: 05/27/07 19:24
Re: Turning The Ocean
Author: SpeederDriver

Sure looks naked without domes.

But the shots are great! They turn the Chaleur on a wye as well. Several miles south of the station.

Date: 05/27/07 20:25
The Ocean
Author: jp1822

Park Car Dome/Lounge returns soon with the start up of the Easterly Class. But I agree, as would I think most Maritime travellers, that the domes (or at least a dome) is missed, as the current Renaissance Service cars just don't cut is a "lounge." At least a "dome car" does return to the train set - during the peak summer season. And then the dome looks out of place!

Date: 05/28/07 14:51
Re: The Ocean
Author: GBNorman

There appears to be no drought conditions at this time in "The Land of Evangeline"

Date: 05/28/07 20:21
Author: DavidP

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (I'm not), those ren cars look like the London Tube with a bad paint job, and the green scheme doesn't look nearly as sharp on the F40PH as it does on the P42DCs. Grumble, grumble...

Dave

Date: 05/29/07 21:06
Author: TheCurator

DavidP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (I'm
> not), those ren cars look like the London Tube
> with a bad paint job, and the green scheme doesn't
> look nearly as sharp on the F40PH as it does on
> the P42DCs. Grumble, grumble...
>
> Dave

Agreed!

And the winner of the 'Favourite VIA Livery' contest is (a no-brainer?)...

Date: 05/30/07 03:38

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Park Car Dome/Lounge returns soon with the start
> up of the Easterly Class. But I agree, as would I
> think most Maritime travellers, that the domes (or
> at least a dome) is missed.........

Not really.....In all the years I’ve been on the Ocean when a Dome was available in all consists, I can’t ever remember having a problem finding a dome seat. About the only times the dome was nearing capacity was in the early morning when the free continental breakfast was provided. Or on departing Montreal, most would sit for a few minutes then return to their own accommodations. From speaking with people on the Ocean I usually find it is the Railfan looking for the nostalgic “Perfectly Matched Budd Stainless Steel and Domes” experience that detest the Renaissance Cars. But the traveling public, not the railfan, who the equipment was acquired for, actually like them. I will admit that lounge space on the Rens is usually inadequate for the number of people travelling. But the lounge does not need to be a Park Car.

I ride the Ocean often and this past winter when a Budd set replaced the Rens which were out of service for modifications, I always scheduled my trip so I would Not be on the Budd set. It has been 15 to 18 years since the Budd equipment was rebuilt and it is starting to show. The Renaissance cars IMO just provide a much smoother ride instead of the rattling of the Budds especially on the shortline NBEC & CFMG trackage. And the modern interiors and soft lighting just makes for a nicer environment.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds