Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Passenger Trains > Some Regional trains sold out again

Date: 06/19/07 13:43
Some Regional trains sold out again
Author: floridajoe2001

Just did a quick check of Amtrak's website (Tuesday), and from New York to Wash., the 4:29pm Regional; the 5pm Acela; and the 5:39 Regional all show Sold Out.

I understand the fixed consist of Acela, but those sold out Regionals is continuing proof that Amtrak is not properly sizing these trains.

I think it's inexcusable to let rush our trains go out with out sufficient cars to handle available traffic. This happens all the time as we NEC fans well know. Amtrak is just losing business.

Date: 06/19/07 14:06
Re: Some Regional trains sold out again
Author: Lackawanna484

Amtrak has had a fixed consist mentality for several years, and it's unusual to see a train upsized / downsized based on ticket sales. I suspect there are a few reasons:

--relatively few serviceable cars sitting idle at endpoints like Boston and Washington

--terminal expenses for switching in and adding a car at places like NY Penn for trains originating in BOS or WAS

--lack of interest (who orders the car to be added, and whose expense does the switch in / switch out go to)

--crew scheduling. If you add two cars, you need to add another assistant conductor. How much advance notice do you need, do you have a need for the extra cars on the return, etc?

--platform length in some places

--No interest in running "extra sections" of a sold out train except for specific events like Thanksgiving weekend

Date: 06/19/07 14:21
Author: symph1

Remember that some of the folk who can't get onto a sold out train will just take a different train. So Amtrak gets their $$ without any extra expense at all.

Date: 06/19/07 14:40
Author: sfericsf

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remember that some of the folk who can't get onto
> a sold out train will just take a different train.
> So Amtrak gets their $$ without any extra expense
> at all.

This is true. It's not like it's the last train of the day...

Date: 06/19/07 20:19
Author: sevenmilesiding

This is one of my bigger gripes about Amtrak. Its more of a problem outside the NEC than one may think, especially on the Florida trains, Crescent, and Late For Sure. At least on weekends or near holidays Amtrak could add a high density coach or two for short haul passengers.

Date: 06/19/07 21:06
Sold Out
Author: jp1822

The 5:39 p.m. originates at NYP. This train could handle another coach if demand warrants. I don't think labor is the main issue. It seems to be more of a "fixed consist" issue and the heck with adding/subtracting cars. Amtrak is not short on Amfleets. It's not rocket science to add/subtract cars to meet demand. The Clockers operated with at least 10 Amfleet coaches. Most Regional trains are 6 to 7 cars in length. In addition, I can guarantee you that people were standing on these Regional trains, as the 5:39 p.m. Regional, particularly, handles a lot of monthly pass riders. Monthly pass riders get to choose from various Regional trains, and Amtrak reservation system does not account for these riders.

And yes, I also agree that the issue is beyond just Regional trains, whereas state supported trains, the long distance overnight trains, and the long distance day trains (often with just one frequency per day) are sold out and Amtrak doesn't necessarily monitor if another coach is worth the benefit of adding. I am saying to add a coach if it will only accommodate 10 riders, while 50 other seats go empty. But rather, a better system needs to be in place to monitor the sell-out status of trains. Rarely do I see an extra coach on the Eastern long distance trains. And yes, a high density coach may handle the demand for the shorter trip riders.

Date: 06/20/07 04:43
Re: Sold Out
Author: krapplem

For you people who want to bitch about Amtrak...When was the last time you saw an airline add an extra flight or substitute a larger capacity airplane for a sold-out route? No, once the airlines have sold all of the seats on a plane they just keeping on selling more seats for the same flight.

In fact Amtrak does add extra cars to short haul routes. Our own Wolverine and Blue Water trains vary from 2 coaches (plus cafe/biz class) to 4 coaches depending on date, demand, etc.. All transportation companies strive for 100% occupancy. Many times the Wolverine and/or Blue Water will be sold out a day or two before hand. This is no different that a well run airline. I have no idea what the threshold is to add an extra car or how they can tell if ther is demand for an extra but I would think that it would have to be at least more than half full. And don't forget, that extra car may very well have to deadhead back to it's origination point.

Date: 06/20/07 06:58
Author: cutboy2

Thus the ongoing debate about mission. Carry people or make/save money.??

Date: 06/20/07 07:12
Author: Lackawanna484

krapplem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For you people who want to bitch about
> Amtrak...When was the last time you saw an airline
> add an extra flight or substitute a larger
> capacity airplane for a sold-out route? No, once
> the airlines have sold all of the seats on a plane
> they just keeping on selling more seats for the
> same flight.
>

On the NEC regional trains, at least, a ticket doesn't assure you a seat. I've stood from Boston to NY more times on the train than I'd like to recall. Paid the same ticket price as a seated passenger, though.

Airlines don't usually allow standee passengers, although I've seen Delta and US Airways roll out an extra shuttle flight dozens of times on the BOS-LGA route.

Date: 06/20/07 20:50
Author: sevenmilesiding

Well, in regards to the medium and long haul trains I was referring to, Amtrak runs ONE train a day on most the routes. If an airline sells out a flight, there is a dozen (or 2-3 dozen) others to book on. If the lone Amtrak train on a route sells out, you are out of luck.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds