Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Passenger Trains > AOE?

Date: 11/08/07 10:02
AOE?
Author: photobob

Ive been out of the loop for awhile so I was wondering is the AOE still in existence? Here it was back in April of last year as it neared Mt Shasta.

Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index1.html

Date: 11/08/07 10:53
Re: AOE?
Author: NormSchultze

Its now Grandlux. They're still kickin'

Date: 11/08/07 11:11
Author: smitty195

Here's their web page:

http://www.grandluxerail.com/

Here is info on the joint Amtrak/Grandluxe venture (not too sure how this arrangement will work out in the end....several trips already cancelled):

Washington, DC and Evergreen, Colo. — Rail passengers traveling on the Amtrak route between Washington, D.C. and Miami will soon have the option of lingering over five-course dinners, sleeping in luxurious suites and enjoying personal butler service. Called GrandLuxe Limited, the new service uses a separate, private, seven-car luxury train attached to Amtrak's Silver Meteor to transport passengers between the nation's capital and sunny Florida.

The premium service is being made possible by a new partnership between GrandLuxe Rail Journeys, the country's premier private rail tour operator, and Amtrak, the national passenger rail service. The GrandLuxe train, which features Dining, Lounge and Sleeping cars appointed with elegant vintage furnishings, will be occupied exclusively by GrandLuxe Limited passengers on the overnight trip.

This is the first time in history that regularly-scheduled luxury accommodations have been offered on Amtrak between Washington, D.C. and Miami. Departures are scheduled from mid-December through the New Year's holiday.

"The GrandLuxe Limited service allows us to bring back the Golden Age of Rail, offering luxury train travel to thousands of people who may not have had the opportunity before," said GrandLuxe CEO Tom Rader. "With Amtrak's facilities and GrandLuxe's outstanding equipment and service, it's a winning situation for everyone.

GrandLuxe Limited departures will also be offered later this year on Amtrak routes between Chicago and the San Francisco Bay Area and between Chicago and Los Angeles. Limited departures will also be available between Washington, D.C. and Chicago, and from Denver to the San Francisco Bay Area, and Denver to Chicago.

The new service is an effort to introduce a broader market to luxury train travel. GrandLuxe Limited prices start at just $789, offering two- and three-day itineraries at more affordable prices than traditional GrandLuxe tours, which cover broader itineraries of seven to 10 days. For information, schedules and reservations aboard the GrandLuxe Limited, visit www.GrandLuxeRail.com or call 1 (800) 320-4206.

I also attached a close-up photo of what the cars look like after removing the AOE logos. I thought it looked a bit tacky.

Date: 11/08/07 17:06
Author: chakk

NormSchultze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its now Grandlux. They're still kickin'

From what I've been reading on other threads, the Grandluxe service
is just about to kick the bucket.

Date: 11/08/07 19:11
Author: railstiesballast

Does AOE or GrandeLux permit passengers to open vestibule windows? That would be a huge attraction to some of us.

Date: 11/09/07 01:23
Author: alex14ramos

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does AOE or GrandeLux permit passengers to open
> vestibule windows? That would be a huge
> attraction to some of us.

Whenever I see the train most of the windows are usually open, so yes.

Bob, the AOE still exists but it is now called Grandlux. They just started runs on the tail of Amtrak and me and my buddy Jeff just happened to catch them at Emeryville not knowing they were on the train. There were a good amount of passengers but it didn't look packed. I believe there were 7 cars. Here's three photos...

Take Care,
Alex Ramos

Date: 11/09/07 09:49
Author: dan

They are at the begining of a long learning curve, stay tuned. They will figure it out, sooner or later.

Date: 11/09/07 12:22
Author: ProAmtrak

I agree, they learn from this mistake on that announcment a few months back they'll be much better off, don't count Grand Deluxe out yet!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0759 seconds