Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Passenger Trains > Seattle Hotel Q

Date: 11/26/07 04:28
Seattle Hotel Q
Author: BillfromBerea

I am planning a "round trip" next March to the West Coast and back. One part of the trip will be taking the Coast Starlight north to Seattle, and a departure the next day east on the Empire Builder. When planning my Amtrak trips I usually look for a hotel within walking distance of the station - I travel light, and I like to walk. My question is, based on the late arrival of the Coast Starlight, how is the neighborhood around the Seattle station as to walking? Any suggestions as to where to stay in Seattle, and things to do before departure the next day on the Builder?

Thanks in advance for any responses....

Date: 11/26/07 05:59
Re: Seattle Hotel Q
Author: alvogel

Not good late at night and I would not do the walk. The reality of Seattle and the popular image stand in stark contrast in the neighborhood N of King Street Station. Executive Pacific Plaza Hotel is close enough for a walk during the day, reasonable, and on major bus lines.

Date: 11/26/07 06:05
Author: smitty195

The closest decent hotel to the Amtrak station is the Best Western Pioneer Square. However, you will walk by lots of homeless folks sleeping on the street. I've never stayed there, but others have told me that it's not a bad place. The places I enjoy in Seattle are:

1) The Westin Seattle
2) Holiday Inn Express (the one near the Space Needle/Seattle Center)
3) Hampton Inn Downtown (NOT the one near Seattle Center! They're doing a huge refurbishment there--very noisy and messy)

You can't go wrong with any of the above hotels, and I'm very picky when it comes to hotels.

As far as what to do in Seattle, lots and lots to do. If you do not have any disabilities, go to the waterfront and join the other tourists walking around. If cruise ships are in town, it will be very crowded---but it's nice. Good seafood restaurants, and plenty of sightseeing and people-watching. Pike Place Market is just above the waterfront, and you can walk to/from either one. Take a Washington State Ferry somewhere if you have time. Visit Seattle Center and go up in the Space Needle and check out the incredible view. Ride the Monorail (one of the stops is near the Westin Hotel). You won't run out of things to do in-between your two trains, that's for sure.

Edit: I should have mentioned that my three hotel suggestions are all reached via a taxi--too far to walk. As mentioned above, there really isn't much near the Amtrak station as far as walking. You'll need to taxi somewhere, unless you do the walk to Pioneer Square.

Date: 11/26/07 08:06
Author: Macster

I have walked all around King Street Station and it's surrounding neighborhoods with a tri-pod and camera bag. Most think I'm a reporter or something, even the few harmless homeless started to figure out I was just around to take pictures of the station and trains at night.

However since you do travel light and don't mind walking and if price isn't too bothersome (though I heard it is still decently priced) the new Silver Cloud Hotel at Stadium just opened with an excellent and decently priced restaurant. It's about a 5 minute walk down Occidental Avenue located on the corner of 1st and Royal Brougham. Cross the street is also the Pyramid Ale House and Restaurant.

I should note that about that time you that construction on several new apartments and condos next to KSS should be underway unless the developer backs out of the plan. It also includes a new hotel and possibly a streetcar connection.

http://www.silvercloud.com/16home.htm

Brian

Date: 11/26/07 08:22
Author: BillfromBerea

I am not committed to Seattle, I could use Portland as my lay over to boarding the eastbound Builder. Thanks again for all the posts.

Date: 11/26/07 08:28
Author: alvogel

Unless you have already made reservations and do not want to change them, I would second the idea of stopping at Portland and then taking the Portland section of the Empire Builder. Your entire trip from Portland to Seattle is very likely to be in the dark, and the route from Seattle to Spokane is interesting but the route along the Columbia is really spectacular.

Date: 11/26/07 08:50
Author: MarinCommuter

If you enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee, and if the weather's cooperating, Seattle's a great place. The original Starbucks is located across from the Pike Street Market. Then there's Peet's Coffee, Tully's and Seattle's Best Coffee, which has a nice outdoor plaza/cafe right by the downtown monorail station. Downtown Seattle is a very walkable area, although the city is built on an incline and some streets have pretty steep grades. If you're down near the historic Pioneer Square, don't miss out on the Underground Seattle guided walking tour -- it's informative, entertaining and very easy to navigate.

Date: 11/26/07 09:39
Author: a737flyer

Walking around the station late is not a good option, but do not forget most bus lines in the downtown area operate without fares for most of the day, making the walking problem at least partly moot.

Date: 11/26/07 12:37
Author: krapplem

My feelings on taking #28, EB Portland to Spokane...

While the Gorge IS spectacular given the right time of day/year, you won't get either on the EB in March. You will be on the north side of the river looking south and the sun will be very low on the horizon. Still nice scenery, but not spectacular IMO.

You will also be put in the EB "cheap seats" on #28, tacked on to the very end of #8/28 in Spokane. #28 has 1 or maybe 2 sleepers, 1 coach and the Sightseer. The diner is on #8 out of Seattle. That means your first night's supper will be a cold box lunch. It's good, but it's certainly not up to EB diner standards. You will also have a 5 car walk to the diner for the rest of your trip (sleeper, coach, Sightseer, coach, coach, diner). Be prepared for all seats to be taken for breakfast and lunch by the time you get there. They will take your name and you can head back to your sleeper or lounge. By the time you get there, they will call your name to head right back to the diner. I really don't think #28 gets the best attendants, either.

Date: 11/26/07 22:20
Author: Railrev

It's a hard call between Portland and Seattle.
Lodging in Portland may be a little cheaper, but getting anywhere by foot is equally challenging in both cities. Public transportation is good both places.
The ride from Portland to Seattle is too good to let it pass in the dark.
Seattle is a great city to be in when you are spending the day waiting to catch an afternoon train. Lots of good things to see and easy to get around.

Remember that Daylight Savings Time begins March 9 and that sunset will be after 7:00 pm for the rest of March.

You've got a little time to make up your mind and lots of opinions to help you. No matter what you choose, you'll have a great time and you'll have to skip enough good things to make another trip sometime.

Have fun.

Date: 11/27/07 06:48
Author: dutchman

One last thought, a lot of hotels provide shuttle van service, so don't limit yourself to just those within walking distance.

Date: 11/27/07 09:06
Author: sfericsf

krapplem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My feelings on taking #28, EB Portland to
> Spokane...
>
> While the Gorge IS spectacular given the right
> time of day/year, you won't get either on the EB
> in March. You will be on the north side of the
> river looking south and the sun will be very low
> on the horizon. Still nice scenery, but not
> spectacular IMO.
>
> You will also be put in the EB "cheap seats" on
> #28, tacked on to the very end of #8/28 in
> Spokane. #28 has 1 or maybe 2 sleepers, 1 coach
> and the Sightseer. The diner is on #8 out of
> Seattle. That means your first night's supper
> will be a cold box lunch. It's good, but it's
> certainly not up to EB diner standards. You will
> also have a 5 car walk to the diner for the rest
> of your trip (sleeper, coach, Sightseer, coach,
> coach, diner). Be prepared for all seats to be
> taken for breakfast and lunch by the time you get
> there. They will take your name and you can head
> back to your sleeper or lounge. By the time you
> get there, they will call your name to head right
> back to the diner. I really don't think #28 gets
> the best attendants, either.

I pick Seattle based on everything ^^ he says. I'll never ride the #27/#28 version again, unless I'm only going for a day excursion in the Gorge say between Portland and Pasco.

Date: 11/28/07 12:10
Author: royaltrain

For the last two years when I stayed overnight in Seattle from the Vancouver Talgo to the Coast Starlight, I've stayed in the Marriott Springhill Suites which is on the northern edge of downtown and is about a $10 taxi ride to King St. Station. Seattle hotels tend to be pricy, and I was pleased to discover this hotel that runs about $95 a night, includes a fairly large room which they call a suite but isn't really--it is just one room. For that rate the hotel throws in a complementary hot buffet breakfast. I've stayed in other hotels such as the downtown Hilton and payed far more and did not receive a breakfast. I think the Springhill Suites is a bargain.

Date: 11/29/07 12:35
Author: milkcow

My wife and I stayed at the Alexis Hotel, 1007 First Ave, early in October. They were just finishing some remodeling in the lobby. Huge rooms, trendy flash colonial. Expensive, but very personal service. We walked from Amtrak with a rather large amount of suitcase on wheels--I am in great shape and my wife is not (both 60). One block uphill to great steaks, nice afternoon walk to tour boats & Pike market: no taxis for us! I actually feel more threatened by taxis, anywhere, walking or riding, than homeless.
Pioneer Square seemed less dangerous than our past trips going back to the 70's: especially for my wife who is really bothered, while I just scowl at them.
We connected from the Empire Builder to the next morning's train to Vancouver for an trade meeting: nice to see the "Friday's" Superliner lounge car which I got to test several times on #29 & #30: I understand the Talgos are back now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0964 seconds