Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Passenger Trains > Comments on Dining Cars, Food and Service

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/11/08 12:32
Comments on Dining Cars, Food and Service
Author: mopac63

On our recent trip to Florida as sleeping car passengers, my wife and I had three meals in the dining car on the Capitol Limited and then three meals in the dining car on the Silver Meteor.
The Superliner diner on the Capitol Limited had wilted flowers and cheap paper tablecloths that shifted often and easily tore. Napkins were cloth, utensils silver but plates and cups were plastic. I take an approach of "low expectations" for the food and then when it turns out to be "not so bad", I am pleasantly surprised. I chose the Flat Iron Steak for dinner since I had read some decent reviews about it in Trainorders. However, I must have got a bad one since it was really chewy and reminded me of those cheap steaks that you can get in one of those buffet restaurants with the Western sounding names for $7.99. Using a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 3. My wife asked the waitress what the "special" was and she said that it might be the salmon. Then the waitress yelled down the entire length of the car "what's the special"? Someone yelled back that it was indeed the salmon. This was our first clue that there was no professionalism with this dining car crew. My wife chose the salmon and thought it was ok, let's give it a 7. For breakfast the next morning we both had scrambled eggs and both were cold when served. My wife had sausage which just didn't taste good and my bacon wasn't very good either. Scrambled eggs get a 4. Lunch was interesting. The dining car crew told us "we were lucky to be getting lunch because the train was due into Washington DC at 12:55 pm and they didn't always serve lunch on this route". Consequently, there were no menus on the tables and we were told our choices were limited to a regular hamburger, veggie burger, turkey burger or a salad. That was it. My wife had a wilted and dry salad. I had the regular burger. The salad gets a 3 and the hamburger a 4.
Things were somewhat better on the Silver Meteor primarily because of a better dining car crew. The car was one of the old Heritage cars built in the late 40's but it was clean and did the job. However, two of the already limited number of tables were taken up by the crew; one for storage of the paper tablecloths and baskets of salad dressings and the other table for crew bookkeeping. There were no flowers and again plastic plates and cups but the crew was really good. My wife had the Flat Iron Steak and I had Brazed Beef for dinner. Her steak was ok for a 6 rating and I enjoyed the Beef for a 7 rating. Also, the cheesecake for dessert was really good, let's give it an 8. I had scrambled eggs again for breakfast which were hot this time but still rubbery for a 6. My wife's French Toast also gets a 6. The breakfast special was a pizza and even our waiter didn't understand why Amtrak would choose that for the breakfast special. He recommended against it. For lunch we had menus and our waiter (who has been with Amtrak for many years and continually apologized for what has become of the dining car food) suggested that the regular hamburger with cheese added (making it a cheeseburger which the Capitol Limited crew said wasn't available) was the best choice. The cheeseburgers were hot and deserve a rating of 7. We were also given cheesecake again for dessert and it was good again for an 8. Overall, considering the poor food quality, paper tablecloths and plastic plates and cups, and an unprofessional dining car crew on the Capitol Limited, dining on Amtrak has become very sad for us (at least on these two trains). Hopefully, it it still a good experience on some of the Western long-distance routes.

Date: 05/11/08 13:28
Re: Comments on Dining Cars, Food and Service
Author: jdb

mopac63 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hopefully, it
> it still a good experience on some of the Western
> long-distance routes.

Depends on the crew.

Within the past three weeks I've ridden the Empire Builder (twice), California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, and abreviated Starlight. "I think" there were eight dinners, eight breakfasts, and nine lunches. Identical menu the whole trip. Only thing that changed was the salmon/trout and how soon they could run out of something. Most of the staff were very helpful but there was one person in charge of the diner could make a Marine drill sergeant run for cover. No pattern as to what they would run out of and how soon. Over the years I've learned that Chicago based staff yell at you and think they are polite. With the one exception, that wasn't the case this time. I've also thought that a train based in Chicago stocked up for the trip out and back. Was told this time that they restocked at LA, Oakland, and Seattle. They still were out of items after the first breakfast. They must have a National contract with some vendor because there were the same yellow rice, tiny baked potatoes, and waxed vegetables every time. After eight dinners there were the same deserts, chocolate/peanutbutter cake (one meal they put chocolate syrup on top of that), apple/cinnamon crips, (one time it and the plate were so hot you couldn't eat it to start with, second time both it and plate were cold, third time it was warm on a cold plate) a lemon something, and ice cream. (Haagan Daz chocolate/vanilla, and were ALWAYS running out) The Empire Builder had a real table cloth, china, and silver. Other three had a stack of paper on the table and after each seating they would rip the top layer off. Silver on the other three plus the best plastic plates I've ever seen. The plates had the AMTRAK logo on them and should be presented with the logo at six o'clock. NO, NO, NO attention was paid to that detail. You might be served bottled water, ice water from a pitcher, or no water. A (T)o (I)nsure (P)romptness at the beginning of the trip did no good because you could get three different waiters during the same meal.

However you choose to take what I've said, I think it was better than AMTRAK trips I've done in the past.

jb

Date: 05/11/08 14:59
Author: stash

Don't expect good salmon anywhere. Fishing is shut down, at least along with west coast. Farmed fish have no flavor.

Date: 05/11/08 16:53
Author: WAF

Still salmon fishing in WA and Gulf of Alaska

Date: 05/11/08 17:34
Author: tq-07fan

I rode on a rail pass a couple months ago. Diner on the Lake Shore Limited was depressing, stuff stacked on two of the tables and the table numbers magic markered in red, obviously while the train was moving at some point, food wasn't that good either. Finished up the trip California Zepher with three lunches, two dinners and breakfasts. The food and service on the CZ for the most part was good to great, the salad left a lot be desired, I'm still a big fan of Amtrak French Toast. The Lounge attendant was awesome. But I am now biased, I traveled on the Canadian on three different trains, Toronto - Edmonton, Winnipeg - Edmonton then Edmonton - Vancouver. I gained weight. It was some of the best food I ever ate, anywhere. Service was over the top, I don't think I had to wait more than a couple minutes at most for more water or hot water for tea. After the meals none of the crew had a problem with giving a take away cup of chocolate milk. It gives an idea of what train travel may have been before I was born.

If you get the opportunity to ride Amtrak California go for the Breakfast Burritos, with some hot sauce, one of the best items from a cafe type car and they are available all day long!

I think the biggest crime on Amtrak is using those stupid Hagan-Daas ice creams instead of that incredible vanilla ice cream was that Amtrak served until quite recently. How has Amtrak came to this? Why!?!

Date: 05/11/08 18:12
Author: dzeph

Recently had five meals on #4 and they were all the worst dining experience I have had in decades. The waiters were ok, nobody yelled. I had the "steak" one night and the warmed up rubber chicken the next. The only thing edible was the hot fresh breakfast burrito. The salads were ok. The worst part is they charge a fortune for the meals and you have no choice to buy a room without the terrible food.

Date: 05/11/08 20:06
Author: Highball8

My! Oh My!, Oh My!

All these complaints and nitpicking about the food on Amtrak long distance trains. Have you folks spoken to George Bush about this? The present administration thinks Amtrak should abolish all food on trains and people should either bring their own food, or trains should stop near restaurants and people could walk there and buy their food. Don't laugh, please!

In the past year I have ridden the Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, and Sunset Ltd. Without exception I have found the food good to excellent. I have never had service from rude dining car staff. Also, the people at my table almost always remarked that the food was good. And I have met some of the most interesting people which added to the dining car experience.

So, I don't know where some of these carpers and complainers who posted to this thread are coming from. If things are this bad, maybe you should find a different mode of transportation.

Date: 05/11/08 23:40
Author: delreybill

I just returned from a round trip on the Southwest Chief and Crescent. All four LSAs, servers and even the cooks who were pitching in to service full diners maintained a cool attitude and in most cases really made the passengers feel wanted. The food with the exception of the specials was the same on all routes, but I was not unhappy about any meal at any time. I do question the Continental breakfast being billed as "lighter fare," when it was four times the nourishment I normally have for breakfast!

Date: 05/12/08 07:17
Author: dzeph

Am not carping about the mode of transportation, love traveling by rail. But why should one have to pay for awful food if you dont want it? Does that mean one will always have to travel by coach in order to avoid being ripped off in the diner? What Should be available is sleeping accomodation not including food, like was available for over a century.

Date: 05/12/08 10:00
Author: chuchubob

Either I was lucky or am less picky, because I took the Capitol from WAS to CHI a week and a half ago (Fri-Sat) and came back a week ago (Mon-Tue). My flat iron steak was fine and cooked the way I ordered. The salmon on the return was good, too. The bacon cheeseburger was also properly done and very tasty. The breakfast omelet was good in both directions.

Date: 05/12/08 10:23
Author: Nick

delreybill Wrote:
> I just returned from a round trip on the Southwest
> Chief and Crescent. All four LSAs, servers and
> even the cooks who were pitching in to service
> full diners maintained a cool attitude and in most
> cases really made the passengers feel wanted. The
> food with the exception of the specials was the
> same on all routes, but I was not unhappy about
> any meal at any time. I do question the
> Continental breakfast being billed as "lighter
> fare," when it was four times the nourishment I
> normally have for breakfast!

How do you take a round trip on the Southwest Chief and Cescent? They don't connect. Could you have meant that you took round trips on both the Southwest Chief and Crescent?

Date: 05/12/08 10:49
Author: mopac63

chuchubob Wrote:
> Either I was lucky or am less picky, because I
> took the Capitol from WAS to CHI a week and a half
> ago (Fri-Sat) and came back a week ago (Mon-Tue).
> My flat iron steak was fine and cooked the way I
> ordered. The salmon on the return was good, too.
> The bacon cheeseburger was also properly done and
> very tasty. The breakfast omelet was good in both
> directions.
I believe you were lucky. I was on the eastbound Capitol Limited from CHI to WAS at the end of April. The dining car crew left a lot to be desired and that along with a chewy steak, cold scrambled eggs and no lunch menus (only burgers were offered) plus being told we were fortunate to even being served a lunch, is not being picky. Apparently, the dining car crew can make a world of difference in how Amtrak dining is perceived.

Date: 05/12/08 11:24
Author: sfericsf

I rode #5 from Winnemucca to Emeryville in October. I boarded on time at 7:10am and headed to the diner for breakfast. There were three people working the diner. People had come in for breakfast and sat down at booths. ONE server was helping ONE TABLE AT A TIME. She took their order, then went to fill their drinks while the order was prepared, and then WAITED for the order to come up, and then served that table. She never even acknowledged any of the other tables waiting to order or be served. Once she gave them their food, she went on to the next table to repeat the process. Each table was taking about 15 minutes to service like this. The other two employees were on the "sleeper car side" doing who knows what...? By the time she finished the 2nd table, the first table was done eating and wanted to pay and leave. No one acknowledged them. The attendant was onto the third table at this point. (I have now been sitting waiting there for almost a half an hour!). People were seriously pissed! One guy started yellin' at the attendent and the attendedant yelled back at him that she was only one person and she'd get to him when she'd get to him. Many folks left the diner without being served or eating. I waited to finally have my order taken 45 MINUTES after entering the diner. Food came shortly thereafter as the attendant repeated the "take the order, get the drinks, WAIT for the food, and then serve". People from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd table still waiting to pay. Folks ended up finally just walking out without paying after sitting there for 2 HOURS. Chaos suddenly ensued with the attendant flipping out screaming folks are leaving without paying. After I ate my not so good SW Omelete, I put $9 on the table (thank God I had correct change) and got up and left. Breakfast for me took an hour and 45 minutes from the time I walked into the diner.

I didn't even bother to attempt lunch...and just got a nasty high sodium high fat turkey cheese thing from the cafe, which I felt sick after eating...

I really wish the diner was operated like a real restaurant, not with attendants making the same union wage regardless of what they're doing on the train, but who make a lower wage and rely on their tips for compensation. You know, like a REAL restaurant.

I experienced this same exact kind of service on the Crescent when I rode it last June.

Everytime I get on Amtrak now, I fear a repeat of the above in the diner. :-(

Date: 05/12/08 12:02
Author: njmidland

Highball8 Wrote:
> My! Oh My!, Oh My!
>
> All these complaints and nitpicking about the food
> on Amtrak long distance trains. Have you folks
> spoken to George Bush about this?

Always amazing how George Bush is responsible for everything wrong in the universe! Sorry, but meals in Amtrak diners have always been hit or miss depending on the crew you get. I can remember dining car disasters back when Jimmy Carter was president - oh wait he WAS responsible for everything wrong in the universe!

I wish food preparation/service was the way it was on the Chief circa 1950. But why after 37+ years are we still getting on long distance trains hoping and praying we have a good crew (or at least one not openly hostile)? Is there any way those who can't/won't function in a civilized way while serving the public be removed?

Date: 05/12/08 12:55
Author: royaltrain

As others have stated before, Amtrak is very much a hit and miss proposition. I have had poor food and service and very good food and service and a combination of the above. Generally Amtrak provides mediocre service with food that is usually bland and boring, but occasionally you will have a really good dining experience. That is why some people are surprised when they have a good meal with polite and competent crew, and the next day on the same train someone else experiences the exact opposite. The problem is, no one seems to be in charge who possesses the authority to make the slackers tow the line. I believe there used to be a train service manager on Amtrak, but that position was abolished a few years ago. If that position were restored I think we would see a much-improved dining/service experience.

Date: 05/12/08 13:53
Author: reindeerflame

Well, it costs a lot to produce this product, with it costing Amtrak $50 or more to serve a steak dinner for which it is lucky to get $18. It's considered part of the experience, so that's why we still have diners. Otherwise, they would have been abolished long ago.

I do sort of wonder why Amtrak doesn't have vending machines. There was one on the TGV I recently traveled on, and it worked fine.

Date: 05/12/08 14:51
Author: stash

reindeerflame Wrote:
> I do sort of wonder why Amtrak doesn't have
> vending machines. There was one on the TGV I
> recently traveled on, and it worked fine.

Just what kind of fine entrees did the vending machines offer?

Date: 05/12/08 17:16
Author: stone23

reindeerflame Wrote:
> Well, it costs a lot to produce this product, with
> it costing Amtrak $50 or more to serve a steak
> dinner for which it is lucky to get $18. It's
> considered part of the experience, so that's why
> we still have diners. Otherwise, they would have
> been abolished long ago.
>
> I do sort of wonder why Amtrak doesn't have
> vending machines. There was one on the TGV I
> recently traveled on, and it worked fine.

When UP took over the SP, they obtained exclusive rights to vending machines on American passenger trains.

Date: 05/12/08 17:34
Author: Waybiller

stone23 Wrote:
> When UP took over the SP, they obtained exclusive
> rights to vending machines on American passenger
> trains.

The truth can be stranger than fiction.

www.vendguard.com

Date: 05/13/08 12:20
Author: reindeerflame

stash Wrote:
> reindeerflame Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I do sort of wonder why Amtrak doesn't have
> > vending machines. There was one on the TGV I
> > recently traveled on, and it worked fine.
>
>
> Just what kind of fine entrees did the vending
> machines offer?

Beverages and snacks.

A cold meal was served at one's seat in 1st Class.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1441 seconds