Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Passenger Trains > Passenger trains named after women

Date: 06/12/08 17:39
Passenger trains named after women
Author: 3985

A close friend of mine asked me the following:

Are you aware of any additional passenger trains, other than those listed below, that were named after women, fictional or otherwise? I’m excluding generic names like The Peach Queen (SOU), Queen of the Valley (CNJ), and Southern Belle (KCS).

1. The Pocahontas (N&W)(fictional)
2. The Phoebe Snow (DL&W/EL)(fictional)
3. Nellie Bly (PRR)(American journalist)(Nellie Bly was the pen name for Elizabeth Jane Cochran, taken from a popular song by Stephen Foster)
4. The Ann Rutledge (GM&O)(Abraham Lincoln’s first love)
5. Nancy Hanks II (CofGA)(named after a race horse, which in turn was named for Abraham Lincoln’s mother)(Note: The original Nancy Hanks ran in 1892-1893; the newer Nancy Hanks II was inaugurated in 1947).
6. Kate Shelly 400 (C&NW)(heroic employee)

Any other trains come to mind?

Date: 06/12/08 19:24
Re: Passenger trains named after women
Author: drew1946

Walt Disney not withstanding---Pocahontas was not fictional. Southern Belle is an adjective, not a woman's name.

Date: 06/12/08 19:34
Author: Gonut1

Thanks Drew! I was thinking that. Well then again maybe I wasn't thinking at all.

If the Reading had a King Coal did they have a Queen Coal? How about CNJ's Queen of the Valley? Did she count for anything?

Gonut

Date: 06/12/08 19:48
Author: RuleG

Betsy Ross - Amtrak in the 1970s (Perhaps the New Haven had a train with the same name)
Evangeline (fictional) - Dominion Atlantic/Canadian Pacific/ VIA

Dave

Date: 06/12/08 20:49
Author: toledopatch

drew1946 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Southern Belle is an adjective, not a
> woman's name.

No, 'Belle' in this usage is a noun representing a lady. However, it is not a specific person.

The initial post rules out other non-specific 'women' like Queen of the Valley (this one explicitly), too.

Date: 06/12/08 21:01
Author: RLcabin

Uh, the UP streamliner City of Los Angeles...short for Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles (Our Lady Queen of Angels)

RL Cabin

Date: 06/13/08 02:30
Author: bandob

Did Mr. & Mrs. Alton Limited have twin daughters Katy and Dixie?

B&OB

Date: 06/13/08 20:05
Author: PWB

Re: Ficticious Phoebe Snow DL&W. Here are a couple of early advertising jingles from the Lackawanna.
"Phoebe says and Phoebe knows that smoke and cinders spoil good clothes. Tis thus a pleasure and delight to take the Road of Anthracite.

"Says Phoebe Snow upon her trip to Buffalo, my gown stays white form morn til night on the Road of Anthracite.

DL&W burned anthracite coal in their steam engines, which burned cleaner than bituminous coal. No ciders,etc.
I have seen reprints of early advertising from the 1900s featuring the ficticious Phoebe. She was a very good lookig young women!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds