Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Passenger Trains > My First Amtrak Trip .... What To Expect

Date: 07/07/08 23:38
My First Amtrak Trip .... What To Expect
Author: syscom3

I'm taking my first ever Amtrak trip in two weeks.

Portland to Los Angeles. The Coast Starlight.

What should I expect? Generally what type of people ride the train in the summer? Does the train arrive in Los Angeles on time (usually)? Can I bring my own munchies and drinks? What cool things I should be watching for?

Date: 07/07/08 23:51
Re: My First Amtrak Trip .... What To Expect
Author: loco4501

Don't be in a hurry. You can check on-time performance at Amtrak.com or http://www.amtrakdelays.com/. The Starlight is an excellent run as far as scenery goes. If you are in coach be sure to bring munchies, the lounge "usually" has a good selection but can get pricey. If you drink Coca-cola products bring your own supply, Amtrak sells Pepsi products. I recommend some nuts or other roughage, you will thank me later. The Cascades are spectacular, as is the running south or Martinez and again along the East Bay before you get to San Jose and once again along the coast...can't be beat. Bring a good variety of lightweight reading material, you may never need it but it is nice to have something to do when the sun goes down, and you will be prepared no matter what reading "mood" you are in. When I travel Amtrak I usually take the sleeper for the privacy, but I have had good trips in coach also. I am no longer as young as I once was and since I sleep on my side coach sometimes doesn't work for a longer trip. Best thing is to have fun and enjoy it!

Date: 07/08/08 00:58
Author: AlwaysLate

Nice call bro....I hate Pepsi and always bring Coke onboard but somehow I always find myself downing Budweisers!

They are doing well now. My hats off to UP and Amtrak lately. They see,m to be really trying.

It's a great trip south, especially just after Chemult. Go downstairs and pop open the window for some great smells and sights. Many here will slam me for this statement, but the majority open the window themselves! Great pis available and due to the remoteness of the Oregon Cascades, great pics can be had through the open window of a downstairs Superliner.

Have a great trip.

Date: 07/08/08 04:59
Author: smitty195

Once you get on-board the train, ask the Conductor if there are any rooms available in the sleeping cars so that you can upgrade. The price is usually reasonable when you do the upgrade on-board the train. By being in a sleeper, you get some privacy and can close the door and the curtains and enjoy the quiet without the yacking of people on cell phones or screaming babies. You can reduce the cost of a sleeper significantly by only purchasing it for night travel if you'd like. For example, see if a roomette is available from Klamath Falls to Oakland---that way you will at least have a bed to sleep in at night. But if you can afford it, go sleeper all the way. You dining car meals are included in the price of your sleeper ticket, and you have access to the Pacific Parlour Car (separate lounge car for sleeping car passengers).

DO NOT open up the downstairs windows. You could get kicked off the train. It is also dangerous.

I think the scenery on the Coast Starlight is the best that Amtrak has to offer---you will enjoy it very much. Also, if you have electronic "toys" (iPod, laptop, DVD player, whatever) you will not have a place to conveniently charge them. Electrical outlets are sorely lacking on Amtrak long-distance trains for coach travelers, so keep that in mind. However, if you are in a sleeper you will have an outlet in your room to charge things whenever you choose. It really is worth the price to upgrade to a sleeper.

You can bring any munchies/beverages on-board that you would like to. However, you can not consume any of these items in the dining car OR in the lounge car. You have to eat these things at your seat. I could be wrong on this, so someone please correct me if I am (I haven't ridden coach on an Amtrak long-distance train since the mid 1980's). But Amtrak has a policy on where you can consume your own food, and for coach I'm not sure what it is---but in the sleepers you can eat whatever you want in your own room. They do not have a fridge for you to put your items in, nor do they have a microwave for your own items (but they have both for items that they sell).

Go in with an open mind----that is the key to Amtrak. My mind has closed down in recent months because Amtrak is full of problems. Don't expect to be on-time (although lately the Coast Starlight has been doing well), don't expect the bathrooms to work, don't expect clean cars or restrooms, don't expect them to be fully stocked in the lounge or diner because they sell out quickly even though they know in advance that they have a 100% sold out train, etc, etc, etc....Just try to relax and enjoy the scenery and ignore Amtrak's many flaws.

If you are a smoker (or want to step off the train for some fresh air), you will have fresh air stops in Klamath Falls, Sacramento, Oakland, San Jose, Salinas, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Barbara. Do not walk away from the train---stay on the platform! They *will* leave without you.

Have a nice trip.

Date: 07/08/08 06:14
Author: jdb

syscom3 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> Portland to Los Angeles. The Coast Starlight. What cool
> things I should be watching for?

That's a favorite run of mine. Why? I like to see the country and there is a LOT of interesting country to see. You are crossing the Cascades from Eugene until it gets dark around Chemult. Going down the hill into San Luis Obispo. The California Coast south of San Luis Obispo. Vandenberg AFB.
>
> Generally what type of
> people ride the train in the summer?

Yes............

Everybody. You never know. I've seen a number of students. I've met people from overseas. I've seen people that can't sit and do nothing, ao they drink, get drunk, and get removed from the train. I've seen people that sleep every second the train is moving. I've seen people that talk on the cell phone every second the train is moving. (and complain when signal is lost going through a tunnel)

> Does the
> train arrive in Los Angeles on time (usually)?

It's been doing pretty good lately but you never know what is going to cause a delay. I've been riding for years (decades? centuries?) I've seen freight derailments like happened in Salem this past Sunday. I've seen detours to get around the derailment like on Sunday. I've seen trees come down on the track. But I've NEVER seen a tree come down in front of a detour like last Sunday. And in the Summer!!!!

> Can
> I bring my own munchies and drinks?

Sure. I travel with a small backpack for camera, radio, etc., and carry some items in it. Stuff you bring on board you are supposed to consume at your seat. I've never been told to stop eating my own stuff in the lounge car, but then I don't wave a red flag and tell everybody I'm doing it. Can you pack enough drinks for 30 hours? Lot of weight and space taken there. But then the stuff is expensive in the lounge car.

In old age I'm finding it much nicer to have a sleeper. If you are just making your reservation you will probably find those sold out. As mentioned, you "might" be able to upgrade because of a no-show or last second cancellation.

Two things I travel with that don't take up space are an inflateable air pillow and a three foot extension cord. You get a pillow on board but for me it just doesn't do the job. I blow up the pillow about half way so that it fills in some of the cracks and then use the second pillow on top of that. If you are carrying every electronic gadget, you will need a charger at some point. (Or carry spare batteries for 30 hours) Outlets are scarce in coach and the lounge car. With the extension cord you can work out a deal with the person that alreadly has the one outlet tied up so both of you can use it. If you do get a sleeper I've found that some of my chargers are too large to fit in the outlet. The extension cord takes care of the problem.

Don't get drunk. You'll be kicked off the train.

DON'T OPEN THE WINDOW!!! IT IS DANGEROUS!!! Yes, in my younger days I used to do it. I used to open the window, stick my head out, and look forward. The last time I did it we were meeting a train. As I looked forward I could see a load of lumber that had a broken band that was sticking out and dragging along the passenger car right at my throat level. Haven't opened the window since. Another time I was downstairs early for the station where I was getting off. Standing at the closed window when some kids threw a rock and hit the window.

Going south it is going to be dark after Chemult and you won't be able to seen anything anyway. DON'T OPEN THAT WINDOW!!!

jb

EDIT: Why not make a dry run down to Portland Union Station just to see how long it takes to get there? And take a look inside to see what it is like and what the passengers look like? If you are familiar with MAX, use it. Either direction, go to the Rose Quarter, transfer across the platform to the west bound #77 bus. The #77 will drop you off less than one Superliner car length from the front door. You can go back to your starting point the same way. Just cross the street to the east bound #77, take it to the Rose Quarter, and transfer across the platform to MAX.

If somebody is going to drop you off, it is right at the front door.

Date: 07/08/08 11:05
Author: wa4umr

syscom3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I'm taking my first ever Amtrak trip in two
> weeks.
>
You should have a great trip. Just don’t expect too much and everything that works out great will be a treat. Just remember a few things:
1.) No one rides the trains anymore,
2.) It’s the middle of the vacation season,
3.) Gas is over $4.00 most places.

>
> What should I expect? Generally what type of
> people ride the train in the summer?

Every kind of person you can imagine. You didn’t say if you were in coach or a sleeper so I’ll assume you’re in coach. If you are traveling solo you might end up with someone next to you that is very pleasant or you might have a 350 pound lady sitting next to you that snores, smells like an ashtray and leans toward your shoulder during the night. I’ve always traveled in pairs so I haven’t had those problems.

I’ve met pilots, air traffic controllers, scientist, a really nice Mennonite family with three of the cutest and best behaved kids. At the “other end of the coach,” there was the cell phone guy. The best thing he ever said was, “My batteries are about to go dead.” There are families that don’t control the kids. Our favorite character was “the orifice guy.” He burped, tooted, snored and blamed it on the guy in front of him. Other than his ears, every orifice on his body made some noise. By far, the good outnumbered the bad. Overall, the people on the train were several steps above the people on the big “Gray Dog” when I got bustituted a couple years ago.

> Does the
> train arrive in Los Angeles on time (usually)? Can
> I bring my own munchies and drinks?

As others have said, bring snacks. I tend to bring some healthy snacks (canned fruits, granola, etc…) and some junk food to balance it out. Don’t forget some plastic spoons. One thing to remember is that you are going to be sitting there all day and not really using much energy so you food needs are not that great after about the first 12 hours. A meal or two in the diner would be nice but I don’t thing I could eat three big meals a day. The meals on the train are slightly pricy but not outrageous. You can save some money on snacks if you get off the train at one of the smoke breaks and purchase soft drinks and other junk in the station. It’s a good chance to stretch your legs, get some fresh air, and pick up the snacks. I tend to take care of those things first and get back to the train so that I don’t end up waving at the markers as it leaves without me.

> What cool
> things I should be watching for?

On the Coast Starlight, the ocean view is nice and I would suggest a seat on the west side of the train.

If you have electronic devices don’t expect to find power at every seat. Some coaches have been equipped with power at each seat but that’s not the norm. Seats 19 and 55 have power and as someone else suggested, bring a short extension cord. The cheaper, the better. The outlets are often a tight fit and a heavy stiff cord might be trouble. The outlets are recessed and wall warts may not fit either. If you have the extension cord with 3 or 4 outlets and you end up in the seat in front of or behind the one with power, the occupant of that seat is much more likely to cooperate with you. Just don’t expect to run a cord across the aisle.

Most of all, just sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. Part of the joy is the trip, not the destination. Research the route for things to look for. Download the guide for the Coast Starlight on Amtrak’s web site. A scanner can be interesting, especially if there is a problem or unexpected delay. You’ll have an idea of what’s going on. If you really want to study the route, the profile charts for part of the route are available on line (I can’t remember the web site right now.)

Have a great trip and make sure you report back to us how your trip went.

John

Date: 07/08/08 12:11
Author: daped

Here is what you might expect on board riding sleeper:
http://www.trainorders.com/avshare/detail.php?id=2627&adodb_next_page=1
Of course it is what you make of it.
-dp-

Date: 07/08/08 13:05
Author: CarolVoss

In addition to an extension cord for the reasons noted, I also carry a roll of masking tape which can be used to quiet rattling doors, knobs, etc in the sleepers, etc. I once had to use it to keep the extension cord from falling out of the outlet. (Women use masking tape, men, of course, use duct tape) :-)
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 07/08/08 14:25
Author: krapplem

CarolVoss Wrote:
> In addition to an extension cord for the reasons
> noted, I also carry a roll of masking tape which
> can be used to quiet rattling doors, knobs, etc in
> the sleepers, etc. I once had to use it to keep
> the extension cord from falling out of the outlet.
> (Women use masking tape, men, of course, use duct
> tape) :-)
> C.

I've found self-adhesive Velcro to be very useful as a "bumper" to quiet noisy closet doors and such. Also good for closing gaps in the curtains.

Ken

Date: 07/08/08 14:41
Author: krapplem

daped Wrote:
> Here is what you might expect on board riding
> sleeper:
> http://www.trainorders.com/avshare/detail.php?id=2
> 627&adodb_next_page=1
> Of course it is what you make of it.
> -dp-

Very nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Date: 07/08/08 14:46
Author: smitty195

jdb Wrote:
> The #77 will
> drop you off less than one Superliner car length
> from the front door.

Hey John, is this something new? I thought with all of the construction going on that the bus stop was across the street now. Or is that only for a certain direction, and the other direction comes to PDX? I'm trying to remember what it looks like after everything has been torn up----I thought the bus stop right there at the station was gone.

Date: 07/08/08 16:55
Author: jdb

smitty195 Wrote:
I thought the
> bus stop right there at the station was gone.

Smitty, as you go out the door of the station, there is a three lane, one way, (left to right) cul de sac for droppping off, picking up passengers. That's also the taxi area. Just beyond that is a street that runs at forty five degrees to the rest of the world. Every map you look at is wrong! The map the tourist center gives out is wrong. The #77 has always stopped on that street. If you want to go northwest to the Pearl District, you don't cross that 45 degree street. If you want to east, across the river, you cross the street. (next to Wilfs parking lot)

If you want to go northwest into the Pearl, DO NOT CROSS ANYTHING BUT THE THREE LANE CUL DE SAC!!!

If you want to go across the river, DO NOT CROSS MORE THAN THE CUL DE SAC AND ONE (1) STREET!!!

The #77 used to cross the Steel Bridge and stop at the Rose Quarter where you could transfer across the platform to MAX. Since the Steel Bridge is closed now for MAX construction the #77 (the right to left one, across the street) does a loop de loop across the Broadway Bridge and comes into the Rose Quarter from a different angle, but same stop. This #77 to the Rose Quarter is still in the Fareless Square.

If you take the #77 (from left to right, don't cross the street) you will have to pay and it will go into the Pearl District. Eight or ten blocks out it will be running on the Streetcar line and make the same stops as the Streetcar. You could transfer at one of those stops and go back into downtown.

Ticket on TriMet (bus) is good on the Streetcar and MAX for two hours.

If you were to take the #77 east (across the river) you would go right past the La Quinta. A couple blocks more and you will be within two blocks of the DoubleTree. All in the Fareless Square.

If you get more than two Superliner car lengths from the front door of Union Station and haven't found either #77 stop, YOU ARE LOST. Go back and start over. There is a bus stop less than two Superliner car lengths from the La Quinta. Two blocks to DoubleTree.

I've never seen the #77 close to full and it is a very low key route.

jb

Date: 07/08/08 17:33
Author: RuleG

Traveling Portland to Los Angeles

Scenic highlights:

* Willamette Valley
* Crossing of the Carquinez Straights just before Martinez
* View of San Francisco Bay (right side of train)
* Street running through Oakland
* Grades and curves (including a Horse Shoe Curve) approaching and departing San Luis Obispo
* Pacific Coast (right side of train)

Cool Stations:

* Portland, OR
* Davis, CA
* Jack London Station in Oakland
* San Jose
* Santa Barbara
* Chatsworth
* Glendale
* Los Angeles

Trains of interest:
* SP 2-6-0 #1785 on display at Woodburn (south of Portland)
* CalTrain and ACE commute trains in and around San Jose
* Metrolink approaching Los Angeles
* Amtrak Capitol Corridor trains: Sacramento - Oakland - San Jose
* Pacific Surfliners: San Luis Obispo - Los Angeles
* UP freights - limited activity south of San Jose, can't tell you about northern portion of the route

Social scene - the Coast Starlight serves many college towns and it attracts a lot of young adults. The lounge car is a great place to socialize and enjoy the scenic highlights listed above.

On board drama - Each trip is different. When I last rode, a very attractive young lady ditched an indifferent boyfriend somewhere south of Oakland and met up with an Eminem look-alike. They both alighted in Santa Barbara.

Hope you have a very positive experience.

Dave

Date: 07/08/08 18:51
Author: hesdjjim

If this is your first overnight trip on Amtrak, I would STRONGLY recommend forking out the extra money, and booking a sleeper online. Since this is the peak travel season, there is very little chance, if any, that you would be able to upgrade on the train. Trying to "rough it" in coach on a packed train is unpleasant, and you won't get much sleep. Hopefully, you've already booked a sleeper, but if you have not, do it now! Bottom line, DON'T RIDE IN COACH!!! DON'T RIDE IN COACH!!! YOU'LL REGRET IT!!!!!

Date: 07/08/08 19:00

hesdjjim Wrote:
> If this is your first overnight trip on Amtrak, I
> would STRONGLY recommend forking out the extra
> money, and booking a sleeper online. Since this
> is the peak travel season, there is very little
> chance, if any, that you would be able to upgrade
> on the train. Trying to "rough it" in coach on a
> packed train is unpleasant, and you won't get much
> sleep. Hopefully, you've already booked a
> sleeper, but if you have not, do it now! Bottom
> line, DON'T RIDE IN COACH!!! DON'T RIDE IN
> COACH!!! YOU'LL REGRET IT!!!!!

If you're young, riding coach over night is not *that* bad. I've done it many times myself. And if you can't fall asleep, wander over to the lounge car, where perhaps, depending on the moonlight, you can see Mt. Shasta.

But I do second the advice about NOT opening the dutch door on the lower level. You don't want to get into trouble with the train crew.

Dave

Date: 07/08/08 19:37
Author: pecosvalleychief

For some reason I have trouble sleeping sounding on a train, whether in coach or sleeper. I don't remember not being asleep but I always feel like crap the next day. I guess I don't really sleep deeply. To combat this I've learned to bring along a sleeping mask and some Tylenol PM type thing to help me sleep. For coach you may consider a small pillow and blanket also. Remember, it's colder once your body falls asleep. As for coach or sleeper, only you know your personal need for comfort. As a youngster I could coach all the time but now that I've gotten softer (and have more money) I often upgrade. Have fun!

Date: 07/09/08 09:37
Author: Nick

RuleG Wrote:
>
>
> But I do second the advice about NOT opening the
> dutch door on the lower level. You don't want to
> get into trouble with the train crew.
>
> Dave

Especially if your room is IN the crew car (not on the Starlight, but on the Chief)!!!

;-)

Date: 07/10/08 09:48

Thanks for all the suggestions!

How about industrial area's? Any refineries or log mills we will go through?

Date: 07/10/08 20:10

syscom3 Wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions!
>
> How about industrial area's? Any refineries or log
> mills we will go through?

The C & H sugar factory is a marvel of industrial architecture. Its located at Crockett which is six miles west of Martinez.

Dave

Date: 07/12/08 15:55

One more question for you all .... it sounds stupid but ....

For the coaches, are the seats open or reserved?

And I just need a conformation ....... do they sell cold beers on the train? Can I bring my own on?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1868 seconds