Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Passenger Trains > Texas Eagle Trip Report

Date: 07/09/08 10:09
Texas Eagle Trip Report
Author: zuco74

Finally got around to writing up my report on this trip I took end of May. Check it out if you have a sec!

http://www.trainweb.org/tony/eagletripreport.htm

Tony

Date: 07/09/08 11:13
Re: Texas Eagle Trip Report
Author: sfericsf

Great trip report.

It's really a pity regardin your first day's lunch on the Eagle. They have cut back the staff and seating so much, that folks now can't even get into the dining car to eat. I've noticed more and more lately folks ordering from their sleeper car attendant, and either eating in their room, or having their attendant bring their food to them at the tables in the Sightseer Lounge. Which all of this defeats the purpose of having a dining car, but whatever... And if you're in coach, I guess it's only food from the cafe for you!

Date: 07/09/08 11:17

Thanks for the kind words!!!

You know I absolutely love eating in the diner. I love being able to interact with my fellow passengers, swap stories etc.

The only other time I have had my lunch brought to me was a trip earlier this year on the SWC. I was trying to avoid being seated with a rather smelly individual and instead opted to have my lunch in my room!

Tony

Date: 07/09/08 11:49
Author: smitty195

LOL Tony...I know EXACTLY who you mean! You crack me up.

Nice trip report by the way. That was very thoughtful of you attendant to OFFER to bring your meal to you in the room.

PS: I hope you're back's doing okay after that weird sleep position. Couldn't you pretend it was really a fancy adjustable bed, and not a broken Superliner chair? :)

Date: 07/09/08 11:59

Yea. My sleeping car attendant was really awesome. She took care of me and all her passengers. This was actually her first run on the Texas Eagle. She told me she usually works the California Zephyr!

Tony

Date: 07/09/08 12:47
Author: ProAmtrak

You had a great trip man, I for one need to do somethin' like this when I finally take a cross country trip on Amtrak myself!

Date: 07/09/08 13:43
Author: frequentflyer

I thought the Eagle passed underneath the Arch in St.Louis?.........Thats what I remember from 1984. When did the Eagle start crossing the Miss. river at downtown,instead going underneath the Arch and crossing over near Alton?

Date: 07/09/08 14:03
Author: pacificparlour

Great report, Tony. I do have a few comments and questions.

You didn't mention lunch on the first day across Texas. Did you skip that meal?

Amtrak's station in San Antonio is a smallish, modern box located west of the Sunset Station entertainment complex. It's a lot like the temporary St. Louis station that will become a crew base once the new intermodal station opens.

The airport in Chicago is spelled 'Midway'.

Finally, I see you used a locker for your bags at Chicago instead of storing them for the cost of red cap gratuity in the Metropolitan Lounge. Was that for any reason in particular?

Date: 07/09/08 15:16

> You didn't mention lunch on the first day across
> Texas. Did you skip that meal?

Yes.. I did in fact skip that meal. I remember having some m&m's in my room for lunch...:)

> The airport in Chicago is spelled 'Midway'.

Thanks for the correction. I did not catch that when I went back to proof read..

> Finally, I see you used a locker for your bags at
> Chicago instead of storing them for the cost of
> red cap gratuity in the Metropolitan Lounge. Was
> that for any reason in particular?

I thought about going to the Metropolitan Lounge to ask if I can store my bags there but for some reason decided on the lockers instead. I'm I still allowed in there even though I am a sleeping car passenger on an in-bound train? I mean, its not like I'm connecting to another Amtrak train. This was the one thing I had wondered. I'm sure someone here can answer this.

Tony

Date: 07/09/08 15:36
Author: pacificparlour

zuco74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm I still
> allowed in there even though I am a sleeping car
> passenger on an in-bound train? I mean, its not
> like I'm connecting to another Amtrak train. This
> was the one thing I had wondered. I'm sure someone
> here can answer this.

Absolutely. As long as you have a same-day sleeper ticket (or stub), you're allowed access at all lounges. Same goes for Acela First Class.

Date: 07/09/08 15:41

> > I'm I still
> > allowed in there even though I am a sleeping
> car
> > passenger on an in-bound train? I mean, its not
> > like I'm connecting to another Amtrak train.
> This
> > was the one thing I had wondered. I'm sure
> someone
> > here can answer this.
>
> Absolutely. As long as you have a same-day sleeper
> ticket (or stub), you're allowed access at all
> lounges. Same goes for Acela First Class.

<JohnnyCarson>I Did Not Know That!!</JohnnyCarson>

wow .. thanks for that info!!!...:)

Tony

Date: 07/11/08 11:09
Author: mopac63

< Now for dinner I decided to try the BBQ Beef Brisket. This is one of the selections that are not available on any other train.

I had the Beef Brisket for dinner on the Silver Meteor in May. Although I am not completely sure, I don't think it came as "BBQ" Beef Brisket. I guess the BBQ thing is special for the Southwest part of the country. And I agree with you that it is excellent, the Beef Brisket was the best meal I have had on Amtrak in quite a while.

Date: 07/11/08 11:21

mopac63 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> < Now for dinner I decided to try the BBQ Beef
> Brisket. This is one of the selections that are
> not available on any other train.
>
> I had the Beef Brisket for dinner on the Silver
> Meteor in May. Although I am not completely sure,
> I don't think it came as "BBQ" Beef Brisket. I
> guess the BBQ thing is special for the Southwest
> part of the country. And I agree with you that it
> is excellent, the Beef Brisket was the best meal I
> have had on Amtrak in quite a while.

I also forget to mention that the BBQ Sauce that was used on the Brisket, was from a local Texas BBQ Joint. I forget the name though.

Anyway, that was a nice added touch I thought!

Tony

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds