Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Passenger Trains > NY Governor talks about Penn Station

Date: 09/16/08 07:16
NY Governor talks about Penn Station
Author: floridajoe2001

Last week, NY Governor Paterson gave a talk to NY construction & real estate execs, saying that rebuilding the Post Office into an expanded Penn Station (the Moynihan Project) is now a State priority, but it has to be more than just building a new train station, and must include expansion of the number of tracks and platforms. Further, current users of Penn Station (NJT, LI, Amtk.) "must institute operational changes" to increase capacity.

Is this physically possible? I'm somewhat familiar with the track & platform layout of Penn Station, and I don't think this can be done with the current Penn Station or the envisioned Post Office conversion, is it?

Also, what kind of "operational changes" is he talking about for "the current users"?

Date: 09/16/08 08:23
Re: NY Governor talks about Penn Station
Author: raytc1944

I oppose the conversion of the post office to a new Penn station. The reason is the present station sits between the 7th and 8th avenue
subways. That's where the people want to go. The post office is a very, very long block away from 7th avenue and midtown.
If the present Madison Square Garden is ever razed in favor of a new facility elsewhere then that would be where a nice station
could be built.

Date: 09/16/08 17:55
Author: cutboy2

Totally agree.

Date: 09/17/08 05:48
Author: joemvcnj

I can't imagine what the NYS Governor is talking about. All talk of turning the 8th Av PO into a rail station to date has meant no changes to tracks, just more stairways to some platforms. It would be even more out of the way than the Great Hall is to CUS. LIRR will remove 40% of its trains from NYPS when ESA opens anyway.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0918 seconds