Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Passenger Trains > Price differential: Regional vs. ACELA

Date: 11/25/08 14:50
Price differential: Regional vs. ACELA
Author: bandob

I have to make a Philadelphia round trip next week, and I admit to being stunned by the current price differentials. Lots of Regionals at $40 one way. Acela? $106 to $119.

All I can think is: they don't want Baltimore-Philadelphia passengers on the ACELA!

B&OB

Date: 11/25/08 16:58
Re: Price differential: Regional vs. ACELA
Author: rovertrain

It's focus is towards business travelers who don't pay their own fare, but rather their business pays for the ticket.

Date: 11/25/08 17:05
Author: stone23

Bandob, if you were working for General Motors, your Corporate Jet would have taken you to and from Baltimore at government bailout expense!

Date: 11/25/08 17:40
Author: Lackawanna484

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to make a Philadelphia round trip next
> week, and I admit to being stunned by the current
> price differentials. Lots of Regionals at $40 one
> way. Acela? $106 to $119.
>
> All I can think is: they don't want
> Baltimore-Philadelphia passengers on the ACELA!
>
> B&OB

It's a similar difference on regionals vs Acela from Newark to Philly or Wilmington.

When I pay, I go regional. When the company pays, it's Acela, baby! For about twelve minutes of difference, the price is way out of whack.

Date: 11/25/08 18:19
Author: jp1822

I can understand Amtrak's premium pricing for Acela Express - to a degree - as it's a faster schedule on the north end and for the south end it is slightly faster than Regionals, but should also provide:

1) More comfortable seating than Regionals (currently lacking on most Acela train sets).
2) Enhanced food service and First Class Service (at seat meals).
3) More efficient in "movement of the train" over the corridor. Acela gets top priority.
4) Overall smoother ride on the Acela Express.
5) Tables in both First Class and Business Class seating.

Acela Express presently is not delivering completely on items (1) through (5) that help distinguish it between other train sets on the East Coast. Leather seating is coming for First Class Acela Express cars (from what I've seen of the new leather seats they look and feel very comfortable) - so that's being worked on. But better seating with more cushioning should be a priority for Acela Express' business class section as well. Acela Express may have lost some of its "classier" atmosphere from when it was first launched due to the fact that Amtrak has let this product line slip a little (as outlined above).

I've even supported bringing back a class of service on the NEC in between that of the Northeast Regionals and Acela Express service. This middle class - if you will - would utilize Amfleet cars but be low density Amfleets coupled with 1/2 cafe and 1/2 business class seating for at seat meal service (similar to how the Metroliner operated on the corridor). Then perhaps, Amtrak can sort of decrease its pricing on the Northeast Regionals, knowing it sort of has two premium train sets on the corridor - Acela Express and a knock off of the Acela Express in the form of Amfleet cars as mentioned above.

With all that said, I also agree that the price differential between Regionals and Acela Express trains are a little out of control at this point, especially considering an economy that is not that great.

Perhaps the compromise is that Amtrak maintains its Acela Express pricing - as long as it can fill the train sets using their supply/demand models and continue to increase its service/amenity offering to passengers. Then Amtrak can look more closely at its Northeast Regional train prices, which may need to be realigned so they are more reasonable with the service being provided, as compared to Acela Express and historical pricing.

Overall, Amtrak better watch its prices on these two NEC trains to ensure it doesn't lose its stronghold on NEC ridership. Perhaps special promotions, discounts or other items should be implemented for both Acela Express and Northeast Regional trains.

Date: 11/26/08 06:15
Author: ChS7-321

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
>
> When I pay, I go regional. When the company pays,
> it's Acela, baby! For about twelve minutes of
> difference, the price is way out of whack.

If you're very lucky, you can find an equal price at certain times of day. (From personal experience.....on a Saturday...)

Date: 11/26/08 06:26
Author: DavidP

You're probably right that they don't want a lot of Philly to Baltimore riders, at least on trains where they can sell WAS - NYP tickets for even more money.

Dave

Date: 11/26/08 10:32
Author: reindeerflame

The key thing is not really how high particular fares are, but whether people are paying the fares.

Amtrak is a private company seeking to make money, not some government bureaucracy.

Date: 11/27/08 05:19
Author: bandob

I stand corrected on thinking that the price differential may have been to limit shorter-ride passengers.

At the same day and time, trips to New York from Baltimore are $64 on Regional, $192 on ACELA, one way.

Granted, the comparison is coach on Regional to Business (lowest available) on ACELA, but the 3x the fare difference still seems to hold, at least on Dec. 2.

I am traveling on business, but I doubt the taxpayers (you guys?) (I'm govt) will be happy if I go for 3 times the fare.

So, the Regional trips have been booked.

B&OB

Date: 11/27/08 06:15
Author: ProRail

bandob Wrote:
> I stand corrected on thinking that the price
> differential may have been to limit shorter-ride
> passengers.
>
> At the same day and time, trips to New York from
> Baltimore are $64 on Regional, $192 on ACELA, one
> way.
>
> Granted, the comparison is coach on Regional to
> Business (lowest available) on ACELA, but the 3x
> the fare difference still seems to hold, at least
> on Dec. 2.
>
> I am traveling on business, but I doubt the
> taxpayers (you guys?) (I'm govt) will be happy if
> I go for 3 times the fare.
>
> So, the Regional trips have been booked.
>
> B&OB

Many business travelers can work while they're riding on the Acela. Every seat has a power outlet, you can reserve tables, there are several channels of music and news you can plug your headset into, and you never have to lift your luggage up the train steps, as you do on some regionals leaving Washington. For whatever reason, business travelers like the Acelas and consider the fare to be a reasonable business expense. As noted above, Amtrak needs to keep all the features in top shape to retain these customers.

Date: 11/27/08 19:33

ProRail Wrote:
> Many business travelers can work while they're
> riding on the Acela. Every seat has a power
> outlet, you can reserve tables, there are several
> channels of music and news you can plug your
> headset into, and you never have to lift your
> luggage up the train steps, as you do on some
> regionals leaving Washington. For whatever
> reason, business travelers like the Acelas and
> consider the fare to be a reasonable business
> expense. As noted above, Amtrak needs to keep all
> the features in top shape to retain these
> customers.

- Every seat on the Northeast Regional service also has an electrical outlet.

- You can't really "reserve" tables - that's a first come first come luxury on Acela Express.

- Often business travellers on Northeast Regional trains will use the cafe car (with its electrical outlets) or at-seat flip down trays to do work.

- Business class on Northeast Regionals often have two sets of tables.

- Tip top shape? Amtrak removed the amenity of at-seat music or news channels (where one could plug in a head set) from the Acela Express train sets. And unless you have a train set with First Class leather seats, often the Northeast Regional seats are more comfortable, as they offer more cushioning. However, Acela Express typically will offer a smoother ride overall.

It does remain relevant that Acela Express is largely a business expense that can be put on the corporate tab for reimbursement to said passenger. But will this still be the case with a downturn in the economy? Acela and Northeast Regional patronage fell somewhat in October, compared to budget and a year ago. And this is with Amtrak's latest marketing efforts to boost Northeast Regional ridership.

As mentioned, if Amtrak is going to continue to "bill" its Acela Express train as the premiere Northeast Corridor train, it better start living up to that in price and amenities. Amtrak largely has been riding the supply and demand models - or increasing prices as seats become more limited on a particular train set. But again, I am not sure if this is going to "hold up" with a downturn in the economy. Some companies may start asking employees to downgrade to Northeast Regional trains or even Keystone trains (if just travelling between Philly and NYP).

Date: 11/27/08 20:43
Author: ProRail

jp1822 Wrote:
> ProRail Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Many business travelers can work while they're
> > riding on the Acela. Every seat has a power
> > outlet, you can reserve tables, there are
> several
> > channels of music and news you can plug your
> > headset into, and you never have to lift your
> > luggage up the train steps, as you do on some
> > regionals leaving Washington. For whatever
> > reason, business travelers like the Acelas and
> > consider the fare to be a reasonable business
> > expense. As noted above, Amtrak needs to keep
> all
> > the features in top shape to retain these
> > customers.
>
> - Every seat on the Northeast Regional service
> also has an electrical outlet.
>
> - You can't really "reserve" tables - that's a
> first come first come luxury on Acela Express.
>
> - Often business travellers on Northeast Regional
> trains will use the cafe car (with its electrical
> outlets) or at-seat flip down trays to do work.
>
> - Business class on Northeast Regionals often have
> two sets of tables.
>
> - Tip top shape? Amtrak removed the amenity of
> at-seat music or news channels (where one could
> plug in a head set) from the Acela Express train
> sets. And unless you have a train set with First
> Class leather seats, often the Northeast Regional
> seats are more comfortable, as they offer more
> cushioning. However, Acela Express typically will
> offer a smoother ride overall.
>
> It does remain relevant that Acela Express is
> largely a business expense that can be put on the
> corporate tab for reimbursement to said passenger.
> But will this still be the case with a downturn in
> the economy? Acela and Northeast Regional
> patronage fell somewhat in October, compared to
> budget and a year ago. And this is with Amtrak's
> latest marketing efforts to boost Northeast
> Regional ridership.
>
> As mentioned, if Amtrak is going to continue to
> "bill" its Acela Express train as the premiere
> Northeast Corridor train, it better start living
> up to that in price and amenities. Amtrak largely
> has been riding the supply and demand models - or
> increasing prices as seats become more limited on
> a particular train set. But again, I am not sure
> if this is going to "hold up" with a downturn in
> the economy. Some companies may start asking
> employees to downgrade to Northeast Regional
> trains or even Keystone trains (if just travelling
> between Philly and NYP).

Agreed. I didn't know the audio feature had been dropped. Haven't ridden Acela in a while; just watched all those well-outfitted travelers forming long lines at the Acela gates in DC.

Date: 11/28/08 22:51

No it is actually pretty poor and disappointing that Amtrak has dropped the audio system from the Acela Express. Yes, people have laptops and can play their own music etc., but others don't and may be interested in getting the a basic news channel or something. Same sentiments for the Pacific Surfliner train sets (specifically in business class).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.133 seconds