Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Passenger Trains > Upper level vs. lower level roomette on S'liner?

Date: 05/07/09 09:20
Upper level vs. lower level roomette on S'liner?
Author: john1082

I have roomette #13 on Friday's #3 from Flagstaff to LA. I've never had one of the lower level rooms. Any difference in ride quality, sound level, etc?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 05/07/09 09:36
Re: Upper level vs. lower level roomette on S'liner?
Author: joemvcnj

I can only speak about the lower level of a Superliner coach, once. It was horrible.

Being a Three Rivers refugee, I did not feel like schlepping up Superliner stairs with my luggage at midnight, so I reserved lower-level seating. Every time that car went over a crossover, it would twist, jerk, and bang. It may have been the car, but NS's maintenance of the Water Level Route may not be as bad as CSX, but the switches are still lousy. I am sure the upper level would have been better, maybe substitute top-heavy swaying than the above.

Date: 05/07/09 09:55
Author: DavidP

Have ridden in the lower level family rooms and don't find that much difference in ride between levels. You can see over more things when you're up top.

Dave

Date: 05/07/09 09:59
Author: Anonymous User

Just my opinion, but I do not care for the lower level rooms. My reasons:

-The view is not as good since you're usually looking at dirt or rocks

-If there is a family in the family bedroom with an out of control/bratty crumb-cruncher or two, it ruins the trip

-It gets noisy at station stops as the attendant opens the door and you hear everyone coming in/going out

-Some people like to hang out down there at the vestibule and chit-chat the whole trip

-I think the ride is rougher down there, although some people say just the opposite

-You hear the restroom doors opening/closing all day/night long

Keep calling Amtrak's reservation number (preferably after midnight Pacific time) to see if a room opens up that you can snag.

Date: 05/07/09 10:04
Author: wjamief

My Dad and I have ridden several LD Amtrak trains, mostly using upper-level berths. We did happen to get a lower-level berth once on the Starlight. I enjoyed the difference, though I think overall I prefer the higher outside view from the upper level. Down below, you're a little further away from onboard traffic up and down the train, so that's a bit quieter. I didn't notice getting tossed around any more downstairs, over switches or otherwise. Closer to the showers. And one other benefit... Our car attendant, Joanne, helped us wash the outside of our window while we were at a station stop!

January 30 - February 5, 2006:
http://www.jf2.com/pbjrr/060201c.html

To shiny rails,
Jamie

Date: 05/07/09 10:11
Author: GenePoon

In a lower level room, remember to keep the curtains closed at night when you are in bed. The windows are at platform level and anyone standing outside can look directly into your room. Depending on your sleep habits, you might not want them to see you!

Date: 05/07/09 10:15
Author: calzephyr48

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a lower level room, remember to keep the
> curtains closed at night when you are in bed. The
> windows are at platform level and anyone standing
> outside can look directly into your room.
> Depending on your sleep habits, you might not want
> them to see you!

... or maybe you would!

I've had lower level roomettes and I've found them to be just fine. First, they're toward the center of the car; second, the lower level doesn't have the crows-nest effect that the upper level ones do. You might hear a bit more road noise, but I didn't find it to be bothersome.

Date: 05/07/09 11:44
Author: zephyr18

Mostly ride up top, but have had a lower level room twice.

The good: Not near as much traffic in the hall. Can be quieter (depends on who has that family room).

The bad: In a lot of cars, particularly Superliner Is, the ventilation isn't very good on the lower level. If the weather is warm, can be hot and stuffy. Possibility of very noisy neighbors in the Family room. Involuntarily mooning the platform at station stops in the night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/09 11:45 by zephyr18.

Date: 05/07/09 11:48
Author: bronco22

really not much differance only rooms i avoid are 9 and 10 right over trucks and next to doors

Date: 05/07/09 13:38
Author: PasadenaSub

I've had a lower room a couple of times between LA and Oregon on the Starlight. I did notice more of a 'grinding' feel when trying to sleep, due to the closer proximity to the trucks. On the plus side, you are very close to the shower!

Rich

Date: 05/07/09 19:04

Thanks gang

It will be a short trip: Flagstaff to LA; departing Flagstaff at 9:00 PM or so with a morning arrival into LA. No scenery at night so the view issue is moot. The noise issue is, however, real. Report to follow.

Now, if only the lounge were open at 9:00 PM . . .

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 05/07/09 19:37
Author: gregtravis

I've only ridden in a lower-level roomette once and it was just fine. Yes, the view isn't as good down low but on the other hand I felt that there was considerably less sway in the room (due to being closer to the center of rotation on the trucks). Also, it was refreshing to not have to hear people constantly walking by outside on their way to wherever. I don't remember any additional road noise so I would classify it as a "quieter" place to ride, along with being less sway-ee.

I was lucky as I was in room 13 next to the family bedroom but there was no family in the bedroom, so it was kind of like being at the end of the cul-de-sac. It was easy to see, however, that occupants in the family bedroom, particularly if unruly, would have changed my perception perceptibly.

As it is, I would call it a wash between upper-level roomettes and lower-level ones. On the upper level, you have a better view. On the other hand, you have people walking past your room all the time and a bit more car sway. On the lower level, you have more peace and quiet and a more stable ride. On the other hand, there might be a family in the family bedroom.

p.s. It's been my experience that the restrooms on the lower level are less used than the one restroom on the upper level. Most of the roomettes are on the upper level and most upper-level roomette occupants will use the upper-level restroom if it is available, rather than come downstairs.

Date: 05/07/09 21:34
Author: webmaster

I prefer the lower level for sleeping. I found the ride smoother because it was towards the center of the car and being lower to the ground the rocking was less. I also found it better with less foot traffic. Not a whole lot of people pass by the area like upstairs. I also prefer being close to the shower and restrooms. The one upstair's toilet is often taken because it is the only one to serve all the upper roomettes.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 05/08/09 07:22
Author: Amtrak288

I've slept in both upper and lower level Superliner roomettes. There's not too much difference but as others have said, the upper rooms are somewhat quieter but the car may sway a bit more because you're further away from the car's center of gravity. This isn't much of an issue if you're on good smooth track (BNSF!), which the original poster says he'll be riding Flagstaff to LAX so that should be no issue, the transcon's in great shape (it was last year when I rode #3 from CHI-LAX!).

Date: 05/08/09 21:06
Author: Railrev

Specific to the original poster's journey, I have always slept good between LA and Flag. Both directions. Upper and lower. Track condition may be the deciding factor as others have said.

More generally, the people in the family bedroom will make the difference in a lower level trip. We rode the Empire Builder from Chicago to Whitefish in a group that had three of the four roomettes. We hardly knew the family, five of them, were there. Very well behaved.

We were in the Porltand section sleeper at the end of the train. After they cut out the 807 Coach at St. Paul, the ride across the plains had a bit of sway. High speeds, straight track and end car may all have contributed. Still slept pretty well.

Scenery would be the biggest decider for me. On our first sleeper trip we were downstairs but the car attendanc let us use an unoccupied upper level roomette for sightseeing until New Orleans.

Date: 05/09/09 13:05

Turns out that the lower level roomette was far quieter - no corridor traffic. Less sway as well. Sign me up again

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 05/09/09 13:08
Author: Anonymous User

Thanks for the follow-up, John. I guess I must be weird----I'm the only one who finds the upper level smoother and quieter.

Do you think you would have preferred being upstairs if it was daytime and there was scenery?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0757 seconds